FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Rosary of the Seven Sorrows of Mary in Latin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am looking for a Latin version of the Rosary of the Seven Sorrows of Mary (see for the English version http://www.thegrotto.org/rosary_of_the_s...orrows.htm)

I pray the (standard) Rosary in Latin, so what I am looking for is the specific Latin introduction to the Seven Sorrows Rosary (i.e. the Act of Contrition which is quoted in the grotto link), and the announcement of each Sorrow in Latin.

I looked some for it last night. I found it in Italian, but that won't do. So I wrote an email to a Servite parish here in Chicago asking for help. This morning I got a reply they (administrators) were on vacation. Who knew? I'll bet when they return I'll get the answer. Sorry.
tim
Wow, thanks! Really appreciate your effort! Maybe they will write after their vacation.
After some Googling I have come up with the following:

- I haven't been able to find a  standard "introductory" prayer for the Rosary of the Seven Sorrows (if you
  can provide one in Latin, please do...)
- You simply start at the medal for the first Sorrow and announce it
- Then you do 7 Ave's
- You conclude each Dolor (after the 7 Ave's) with:
            "Ora pro nobis, Virgo Dolorissima
              Ut digni efficiamur promissionibus Christi"
- The Seven Sorows (in Latin) are to be announced as:
            "1. Primus Dolor: ex Simeonis vaticino (Luc. 2:33-35)
              2. Secundus Dolor: ex fuga in Aegyptum (Mt. 2:13-15)
              3. Tertius Dolor: ex amisso duodenni Filio (Luc. 2:41-52)
              4. Quartus Dolor: ex captivitate, flagellatione et baiulatione Crucis Christi (Luc. 26:32)
              5. Quintus Dolor: ex Crucifixione (Jn. 19:25-30)
              6. Sextus Dolor: ex Corporis e Cruce sublatione (Jn. 19:31-37)
              7. Septimus Dolor: ex Sepultura (Jn. 19:38-42)"
- After the seventh Sorrow, you go to the "tail" of the Rosary and do an Ave at each bead (of which there are three)
- You conclude with:
              "Oremus:
              Interveniat pro nobis, quaesumus, Domine Iesu Christe, nunc et in hora mortis nostrae, apud tuam clementiam
              Beata Virgo Maria Mater tua, cuius sacratissimam animam in hora tuae Passionis doloris gladius pertransivit.
              Per te, Iesu Christe, Salvator Mundi, qui cum Patre et Spiritu Sancto vivis et regnas per omnia saecula
              saeculorum. Amen".
Forgive me my obnoxious post-bumping, but today (15 September) we in fact celebrate the Feast of the Seven Sorrows of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

And I believe the following is a suitable introductory prayer to the ROsary of the Seven Sorrows:

Oremus.

Deus, in cujus passióne, secúndum Simeónis prophetíam, dulcíssimam ánimam gloriósae Vírginis et Matris Maríæ dolóris gládius pertransívit : concéde propítius ; ut, qui dolóres ejus venerándo recólimus, passiónis tuæ efféctum felícem consequámur : Qui vivis et regnas.

Let us pray.

O God, in whose passion the sword of grief did pierce the gentle soul of the glorious Virgin Mary, thy Mother, that so might be fulfilled the word of thy Prophet Simeon : mercifully grant that we who here do call to mind her sorrows ; may be fulfilled with the blessed fruits of thy passion. Who livest and reignest with the Father.
Hello,  this is quite an old entry but I wanted to know if it is permissible to out in the stabat mater at the end of each decade and which parts to sing
I say the Servite Rosary everyday.  I really don't have the regular Seven Sorrows Rosary and I use the regular beads of the Blessed Virgin's Rosary (less three beads for the seven Hail Marys).  You must have personal reasons why you would want to say it in Latin.  I already have the Seven Sorrows memorized along with the meditations.  Wouldn't it be difficult to mediate while praying in Latin? 
(08-04-2012, 11:51 AM)Vincentius Wrote: [ -> ]I say the Servite Rosary everyday.  I really don't have the regular Seven Sorrows Rosary and I use the regular beads of the Blessed Virgin's Rosary (less three beads for the seven Hail Marys).  You must have personal reasons why you would want to say it in Latin.  I already have the Seven Sorrows memorized along with the meditations.  Wouldn't it be difficult to mediate while praying in Latin? 

From my own experience with saying the Holy Rosary in Latin, no. I find it much more difficult to concentrate in English as far as prayer goes. I know what the prayers mean, as I learn them in English first and then make the move to Latin. What I've found is I have to now try to remember them in English. I just pushed the English aside for Latin. Sometimes, if I feel myself losing concentration, I'll jump back to the English for an Ave Maria or Pater Noster. Other times I'll do a line by line translation in my head.

The other night at Adoration, Fr. led us in the Rosary in English. At first, and I know this sounds weird, it was as if I was hearing a foreign language. It took me a moment to realize it was English. Go figure.

Eventually, I'll pray solely in Latin as I add prayers to the list of ones I know in English but have memorized in Latin.

Once I do that, I'll learn them in Arabic.
(08-04-2012, 11:51 AM)Vincentius Wrote: [ -> ]I say the Servite Rosary everyday.  I really don't have the regular Seven Sorrows Rosary and I use the regular beads of the Blessed Virgin's Rosary (less three beads for the seven Hail Marys).  You must have personal reasons why you would want to say it in Latin.  I already have the Seven Sorrows memorized along with the meditations.  Wouldn't it be difficult to mediate while praying in Latin? 

Hello, 

I was wondering what your method of praying the servite rosary is.  I've begun saying it again since my early teenage years and have found so many different methods.  Shocked

One of them says to pray the collect, the salve regina and then the three aves in honor of the virgin's tears.

I just starts off with an act of contrition, then the pater and seven aves till I get to the end where I pray the three aves and Pray for us O most sorrowful mother, etc and then the prayer for mercy.
today I've started using the latin in place of the english though. 

'this is a great method to win graces and favors!  Thanks be to God for it