FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Shadowplay
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Though I don't plan on reading this just yet, I was struck by these passages;

"Shadowplay" Asquith, Clare Wrote:England was not a free society. The precarious Tudor regime made sophisticated use of propaganda and exercised tight control over the country's small number of licensed printing presses..... A contemporary ballad survives lamenting "little John Nobody, that durst not speak"-the silenced voice of the Catholic opposition.

...The first surprise is the size of the Catholic opposition to the new Protestant order. It was in a majority right up to the end of the sixteenth century. A powerful group, it was easily capable of removing the regime that oppressed it. Yet there was no organised opposition: most religious dissidents chose the path of passive resistence. Even at the time, the extent of John Nobody's silence was puzzling.

Earlier in the book Asquith describes the martyrdom of Richard Whiting, last abbot of Glastonbury Abbey. She mentions the chapel that once stood there, dedicated to Our Lady and built out of reeds, when the area was still surrounded by sea and called Ynys-witrin, "the Island of Glass". Asquith goes on to describe the subsequent theft of Catholic land and treasures, the sale of Abbey stones for use in new buildings and the ruthless dismantling of an intricate Christian culture at the hands of political reformers.  Altogether the image she creates is so poignant, I was moved to share it.