FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Pope defrocks priest over 'visions' at Medjugorje
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
By Simon Caldwell
Last updated at 12:09 AM on 27th July 2009

The Pope has defrocked the priest at the centre of claims that the Virgin Mary has been appearing in the Bosnian town of Medjugorje. The Vatican stripped Father Tomislav Vladic of his priest status after an investigation into growing concerns over the alleged apparitions. Father Vlasic was named as the 'creator' of the phenomenon by Pavao Zanic, the local bishop at the time the apparitions began in 1981.

Angry: Pope Benedict XVI, who recently broke his wrist after slipping in the bath, has removed Father Tomislav Vlasic from the priesthood In the midst of a spat with the local bishop and the Vatican, he had earlier made a prophecy that the Virgin Mary would appear in Bosnia. Months later, six local children said they had seen the Virgin on a nearby hillside. Soon after Father Vlasic announced he was 'spiritual adviser' to the 'visionaries' who now claim that Our Lady has visited them 40,000 times over the last 28 years. An estimated 30million pilgrims have visited the shrine since 1981, including many from Britain and Ireland. Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, now Pope Benedict, issued a ban on pilgrimages to the site but this has been widely ignored. Father Vlasic was suspended last year by the Vatican's Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith amid an inquiry into his conduct after three commissions failed to find evidence to support the visionaries' claims.  Apparitions: The shrine in Medjugorje, Bosnia is regularly visited by pilgrims.  The Vatican also began an inquiry into claims he was guilty of sexual immorality after he made a nun pregnant. The defrocking was secretly signed off by the Pope in March.Father Vlasic refused to cooperate with the investigation from the outset and he was banished to a monastery in L’Aquila, Italy, where he was forbidden to communicate with anyone, even his lawyers, without the permission of his superior.

It emerged yesterday that he has chosen to leave the priesthood and his order, a move which has brought the investigation to an abrupt halt.The defrocking of Father Vlasic means he is stripped of his priest status. This represents a massive blow to millions of Medjugorje followers worldwide who were hoping that the Vatican would one day legitimise the controversial shrine.

The seers have grown wealthy as a result of their claims – and so has their town, which has boomed as a result of the ‘Madonna gold rush’.Some today own smart executive houses with immaculate gardens, double garages and security gates, and one has a tennis court.They also own expensive cars and have married, one of them, Ivan Dragicevic, to an American former beauty queen.
By their fruits you will know them.

Mejugorje is a sham. I mean, sometimes you wonder, what's it going to take for people to stop promoting this, treating it as a place of pilgrimage etc? Cardinal Ratzinger himself banned pilgrimages to that place. Hopefully, as sad as this whole shenanigans is with this priest, hopefully it will get some people to wake up. 
(07-27-2009, 07:53 AM)charlesh Wrote: [ -> ]By Simon Caldwell
Last updated at 12:09 AM on 27th July 2009

The Pope has defrocked the priest at the centre of claims that the Virgin Mary has been appearing in the Bosnian town of Medjugorje. The Vatican stripped Father Tomislav Vladic of his priest status after an investigation into growing concerns over the alleged apparitions. Father Vlasic was named as the 'creator' of the phenomenon by Pavao Zanic, the local bishop at the time the apparitions began in 1981.

Angry: Pope Benedict XVI, who recently broke his wrist after slipping in the bath, has removed Father Tomislav Vlasic from the priesthood In the midst of a spat with the local bishop and the Vatican, he had earlier made a prophecy that the Virgin Mary would appear in Bosnia. Months later, six local children said they had seen the Virgin on a nearby hillside. Soon after Father Vlasic announced he was 'spiritual adviser' to the 'visionaries' who now claim that Our Lady has visited them 40,000 times over the last 28 years. An estimated 30million pilgrims have visited the shrine since 1981, including many from Britain and Ireland. Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, now Pope Benedict, issued a ban on pilgrimages to the site but this has been widely ignored. Father Vlasic was suspended last year by the Vatican's Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith amid an inquiry into his conduct after three commissions failed to find evidence to support the visionaries' claims.  Apparitions: The shrine in Medjugorje, Bosnia is regularly visited by pilgrims.  The Vatican also began an inquiry into claims he was guilty of sexual immorality after he made a nun pregnant. The defrocking was secretly signed off by the Pope in March.Father Vlasic refused to cooperate with the investigation from the outset and he was banished to a monastery in L’Aquila, Italy, where he was forbidden to communicate with anyone, even his lawyers, without the permission of his superior.

It emerged yesterday that he has chosen to leave the priesthood and his order, a move which has brought the investigation to an abrupt halt.The defrocking of Father Vlasic means he is stripped of his priest status. This represents a massive blow to millions of Medjugorje followers worldwide who were hoping that the Vatican would one day legitimise the controversial shrine.

The seers have grown wealthy as a result of their claims – and so has their town, which has boomed as a result of the ‘Madonna gold rush’.Some today own smart executive houses with immaculate gardens, double garages and security gates, and one has a tennis court.They also own expensive cars and have married, one of them, Ivan Dragicevic, to an American former beauty queen.

Always thought it was shame..notice how much the world loves it and ignores Fatima.....
Ignores Fatima is the key, it's a diversion so that Our Lady's requests are assigned to the dust bin. This fits nicely in with Antonio Socci's book which I am reading. His contention, from HH Pope Benedict XVI own words over the years, is that HH Pope Benedict XVI understands he is the Pope of the Fatima Prophecy, not John Paul II, as Cardinal Bertone and others have offered. It also makes sense of the current secret commission to look into Fatima. When one stops to think about the "Woman clothed with the Sun" and the Appearance of Our Lady in conjunction with the Miracle of the Sun, the pieces start to fall into place. As St. Lucia had said "the devil wants a decisive battle with Our Lady". A little thing I have picked up lately is when I have a senior moment and am not sure what I was about to do, I remember Il Papa, and pray a Pater Noster, Ave Maria, and the Fatima prayer for him and the Grace to Consecrate Russia without fear of his enemies, and they are everywhere.
tim
About time these whack-jobs are exposed by Rome. The Virgin Mary predicting the outcome of Soccer games...uh huh... ::)
(07-27-2009, 09:15 AM)timoose Wrote: [ -> ]Ignores Fatima is the key, it's a diversion so that Our Lady's requests are assigned to the dust bin. This fits nicely in with Antonio Socci's book which I am reading. His contention, from HH Pope Benedict XVI own words over the years, is that HH Pope Benedict XVI understands he is the Pope of the Fatima Prophecy, not John Paul II, as Cardinal Bertone and others have offered. It also makes sense of the current secret commission to look into Fatima. When one stops to think about the "Woman clothed with the Sun" and the Appearance of Our Lady in conjunction with the Miracle of the Sun, the pieces start to fall into place. As St. Lucia had said "the devil wants a decisive battle with Our Lady". A little thing I have picked up lately is when I have a senior moment and am not sure what I was about to do, I remember Il Papa, and pray a Pater Noster, Ave Maria, and the Fatima prayer for him and the Grace to Consecrate Russia without fear of his enemies, and they are everywhere.
tim

is the book in English now?? or do you read Italian?? would love to flip through it......
I have just received it in English from Father Gruner to read. It is published by Loreto and I believe Father Gruner has it for sale. Antonio Socci writes well, or his translator is superb. I thought back and forth about buying it in Italian, but my fourth grade Italian would have made it a real chore, like "all of Gaul is divided into three parts" is difficult. From everything I have read from Socci, Fr. Gruner, Fr. Kramer, and all of the "romanita", I believe this is coming to fruition. Like Fr. Kramer and Fr. Gruner, I am now convinced that HH Pope Bendict XVI sees the only way forward is to release the entire third secret, so he can then Consecrate Russia with those Bishops that will remain in the Church. Socci says he understands this will be his martyrdom as in the part of the vision that has been released and that's why he needs our every prayer and sacrifice.This is my synopsis having read only a third of his book, he could have more yet in the book.
:pray2:
tim
WELL ITS ABOUT TIME- DURING THE  TIME OF  JP II THE LESS- IT WAS ALL THE RAGE.. I KNOW MANY PEOPLE RAN TO  THE PLACE BUT THEY WHERE ALL BEING DUPED.
The Daily Mail is a trashy rag and their writers always seem to distort the facts with their own personal slant.  Is there a better source for this, something from the Vatican?  

For example, I looked for the ban on pilgrimages and it doesn't exist.  Because these visions have been neither proven nor disproven, the Church cannot sanction "official" pilgrimages, as organized by a parish or with a bishop, or it will mean they are accepting the visions officially, which they cannot do.  On the other hand, I quote...

"Speaking on Aug. 21st 1996 in Rome Vatican Press Office spokesman, Dr. Joaquin Navarro-Valls, sought to clarify the status of pilgrimages to Medjugorje. He noted,

"You cannot say people cannot go there until it has been proven false. This has not been said, so anyone can go if they want ... "

Source:    http://www.ewtn.com/library/issues/medjvat.htm

I'm certainly not a fan of this place and wouldn't go myself, but it irks me when someone twists the news.  ...and they say FOX news is bad?  

Calicatholic
Pages: 1 2 3