FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Are there no more Catholic towns?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Is there anyplace in North America or Europe that is actually, devoutly Catholic? I'm just wondering if there are any communities out there that still practice the faith as a community? Has this notion of Church all but been destroyed, truly?
Of course there are actively Catholic parishes in Europe.
Not to be dramatic, but those of us that survive the coming cataclysm may be should return to our ancestral lands. I figure I'd go back to Liguria or the Piedmont. It would be nice to hear Zenese spoken again. I wonder if my last name Podesta entitles me to hold that office again. ;D
tim
(07-27-2009, 10:24 AM)timoose Wrote: [ -> ]Not to be dramatic, but those of us that survive the coming cataclysm may be should return to our ancestral lands. I figure I'd go back to Liguria or the Piedmont. It would be nice to hear Zenese spoken again. I wonder if my last name Podesta entitles me to hold that office again. ;D
tim

Podesta is a surname in Malta too, though I don't know whether they're descendents of local magistrates or of Italians who came over.
The SSPX basically runs St. Mary's, KS. The founder of Domino's Pizza has also set up a totally Catholic town near his Ave Maria University. That being said, the whole Catholic ghetto thing has always creeped me out. I get a nighmare idea of everyone in your town looking over your shoulder to make sure to said the Angelus or that you aren't wearing shorts or something. 
(07-27-2009, 10:09 AM)actiofidei Wrote: [ -> ]Is there anyplace in North America or Europe that is actually, devoutly Catholic? I'm just wondering if there are any communities out there that still practice the faith as a community? Has this notion of Church all but been destroyed, truly?

If you define 'Catholic community' that over 50% of the inhabitants attends Holy Mass at least weekly, and the majority of them goes to confession in regular basis, than Volo IL is close to this standard

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volo,_Illinois

http://www.stpetervolo.org/

Traditional Mass every day, the New Mass is close to the traditional (toward east, communion kneeling at the bars to tongue, Latin chant)

Post Falls, ID also has many SSPX parishoners, though I can't say what the percentage of Catholics is vs. their local area.

glgas Wrote:Volo IL is close to this standard

That place looks awesome. That S. Peter's parish looks great. Holy cow, a church that has the Divine Office on a regular and expansive basis! However, Vespers at 1:45pm?
(07-27-2009, 11:06 AM)Credo Wrote: [ -> ]That being said, the whole Catholic ghetto thing has always creeped me out. I get a nighmare idea of everyone in your town looking over your shoulder to make sure to said the Angelus or that you aren't wearing shorts or something. 

That's how St. Mary's is.  I met a family there that actually moved farther away from town because the mom and girls wore pants and shorts.
(07-27-2009, 10:09 AM)actiofidei Wrote: [ -> ]Is there anyplace in North America or Europe that is actually, devoutly Catholic? I'm just wondering if there are any communities out there that still practice the faith as a community? Has this notion of Church all but been destroyed, truly?

in previous post, there were stories about communities forming in Kansas City area, also in south-east Saskatchwan...Europe, not sure.....

WOuld be hard to form now as Trads,Conservatives and liberals in Church are much to divided......just look here hwo many fell for supporting evil Obama or evil McCain...capitalist vs Distributist......etc.......even here at FE, too divided to form a community....how would it be run, economy, laws, roles,etc.......???

All for it, but not seeing it happen....except in more individual movements.....even a forum like this could not really form a community, too many outside and non-Catholic influences........diabolical disorient I guess.......
Pages: 1 2 3 4