FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Sweets
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
(08-09-2009, 02:00 PM)Satori Wrote: [ -> ]It's delicious, this bread. And tonight I'm going to try a sort of lemon mousse thing. Can't ship that, I'm afraid.

What's a black bottom banana bar? I like the alliteration!

Banana bars - only you take half the batter and mix cocoa into it.  Put on bottom of the pan and then top with the rest of the batter.  Bake as usual.  Top with cream cheese frosting if you would like.  (Must be at least 1 inch thick, though.)  Yummmmmmmmmmmm.
You've just got to love an Irish girl with an Italian accent.

Last night I made the lemon fluff -- something like lemon meringue pie without a crust.

I have learned that the people who work with my husband are now interested to see what he's going to have in his lunchbox each day ... especially when he shares his dessert.
(08-10-2009, 03:28 PM)Satori Wrote: [ -> ]Last night I made the lemon fluff -- something like lemon meringue pie without a crust.

I have learned that the people who work with my husband are now interested to see what he's going to have in his lunchbox each day ... especially when he shares his dessert.

Can you blame them?  I'm interested, too, and I'm just reading the posts!

Lucky man...

Edited to add:  forgot my favorite smiley ~  :eats:
Packed lunches, scratch desserts, and laundry -- those are my three strong points as a wife. You don't want to know about my weak ones ...

I recommend the fluff. It's light, delicious, refreshing for the summer, doesn't heat up the kitchen, and isn't too bad for you. It requires some maneuvering, though, which is difficult for me since I have very little counter space.

You take 3/4 of a cup of sugar and mix it with three egg yolks in a bain de marie over low heat. (I don't have a bain de marie and don't see the point. I just stick a small saucepan in a larger saucepan with water in it and it works fine.) Mix it till it's fairly smooth and add the grated zest and juice of one large lemon. Remove from heat. Dissolve two packets of gelatin in two tablespoons of boiling water, then add it to the lemon-sugar-egg mixture. In one bowl, beat up two small cans of evaporated milk till it's twice its original volume, and in another whip up the three egg whites till stiff. Beat the lemon-sugar-egg-gelatin mixture with the evaporated milk, then fold in the egg whites. Pour it into a bowl and refrigerate it until it's stiff.  Just the thing for a hot night.

I read up on egg safety and am convinced that as long as you use undamaged, properly refrigerated eggs and are in good health, it is safe to eat them raw.

So are we doing a cookie exchange or what, guys?
(08-10-2009, 09:47 PM)Gie2me Wrote:cookies and pastries exchange?!! I'd love to make my Baklava!

And I'd love to receive it! But I will have to defer to those with more experience who can tell me what kind of pastries it's safe to ship.
Oh, I'm sure baklava is safe, but the sorts of things I make probably wouldn't be. (They tend to involve custard.)

We also need to find out a cheap way to do it, because packaging and shipping can get real expensive real fast.
(08-10-2009, 09:47 PM)Gie2me Wrote:I'd love to make my Baklava!

:eats:
(08-10-2009, 09:17 PM)Satori Wrote: [ -> ]So are we doing a cookie exchange or what, guys?

I'm in if someone can figure out how to ship stuff.
Don't ship in hot weather, is my advice---and stick to sturdy, high-fat, good keepers like blondies and sugar cookies.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13