FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Sweets
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Removing cakes from pans in one piece is a delicate art, spray or no. It's like peeling boiled eggs -- two things that look easy and ought to be easy but aren't.
I made a nectarine and blackberry pie.  The fruit was at that stage where the mold would have taken over shortly if I didn't use it right away, so I threw it in a pastry crust, but it turned out to be a really good combination!
I often buy Haribo Gummi Bears.  But I don't make them.  I just eat them.  And how.
(07-28-2009, 03:55 PM)Paloma Wrote: [ -> ]I taught my boys how to make snickerdoodles last night.  That's as fancy as I get nowadays.

How come I practically never see (read) Paloma anymore??

(07-30-2009, 01:25 AM)Iuvenalis Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-28-2009, 03:55 PM)Paloma Wrote: [ -> ]I taught my boys how to make snickerdoodles last night.  That's as fancy as I get nowadays.

Probably because she has a new baby. Also a fair amount of family chaos, it seems.
(07-30-2009, 01:25 AM)Iuvenalis Wrote: [ -> ]

I know what you mean...I totally miss her!

AS for removing cakes from pans, the trick is to wait till he cake is cooled a bit. (My mom is a professional wedding cake maker) You wait till the cake is cooled, cause if its too warm, it will just crumble. Also, the best way to grease your pans is rub it down with butter or margarine, then coat it with a layer of flour.
They make round cake pans that have these metal thingies that you turn around the pan after the cake is done so they don't stick.  They are built into the pan.  It's really cool.

I made blueberry dessert the other night.  Haven't had that since the 4th.  It's like a giant easy to make blueberry cheesecake.  A dash of cinnamon really makes the blueberries stand out.

A really easy dessert for the baking impaired is Fufu.  A container of whipped cream, small container of cottage cheese, mandarin oranges and a large package of orange jello.  Whip it all together and there you have it.  Fufu!  :laughing:
(07-28-2009, 03:48 PM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]There's stuff you can spray on pans so the food doesn't stick.  Don't know what it's called but it's really quite amazing. 

:fish:  But + one anyway.
(08-01-2009, 07:59 PM)Gie2me Wrote:I created this banana cream cake....white cake (take the yokes out) with a secret filling in the middle... Bananas with butter and cream, some spices added with crushed cashews and nutmeg, and a tad of tapioca pudding... covered with a whipped cream... add a bit of sugar to give the cream a sweetness to it. Good stuff....   it needs to stay in the fridge though becuse the bananas and creams/tapioca.

...I had a question...maybe some one can help me...  how do you keep bananas perserved when it's in a filling like that? This was an experiment cake. and the bananas turned brown after 2 days :(   any good perserve secrets ??

I don't know how to keep bananas from turning brown, but a little lemon juice is supposed to work for apples. If all else fails ... yellow food coloring?

I'm curious as to how you made this cake because last week I tried to make a bundt cake with pudding in the middle. I guess you're too young to remember when everybody's mother was making those. I'd go to church suppers -- this was in the early to mid '80s -- and there would be several different flavors of bundt cake, usually with something in the middle. My favorite was lemon with lemon pudding, and my husband also remembers it fondly, so I set out to make one. No recipe for such a creature, though. I ended up with something that tasted fantastic but fell apart. This is not right. I perfectly remember those garland-like, pretty cakes, and when you cut a slice, it was a nice, neat, dome-shaped slice with a perfect little "o" of pudding in the middle -- kind of like a slice of boiled egg.

I also made ranger cookies this week.
Bundt!

"There's a hole in this cake."

;D
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13