FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Sweets
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
(08-01-2009, 09:22 PM)Satori Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-01-2009, 07:59 PM)Gie2me Wrote:I created this banana cream cake....white cake (take the yokes out) with a secret filling in the middle... Bananas with butter and cream, some spices added with crushed cashews and nutmeg, and a tad of tapioca pudding... covered with a whipped cream... add a bit of sugar to give the cream a sweetness to it. Good stuff....   it needs to stay in the fridge though becuse the bananas and creams/tapioca.

...I had a question...maybe some one can help me...  how do you keep bananas perserved when it's in a filling like that? This was an experiment cake. and the bananas turned brown after 2 days :(   any good perserve secrets ??

I don't know how to keep bananas from turning brown, but a little lemon juice is supposed to work for apples. If all else fails ... yellow food coloring?

The lemon juice trick works with bananas, too--and banana pudding looks soooo much more appealing after a couple of days when there aren't gross brown lumps in it.
I made strawberry shortcake today -- the kind with sponge cake and slightly firm (from gelatin) whipped cream icing.

Yes, you may move in with me. I need an extra person or two to help with the tot.
(08-02-2009, 09:27 PM)Satori Wrote: [ -> ]I made strawberry shortcake today -- the kind with sponge cake and slightly firm (from gelatin) whipped cream icing.

Yes, you may move in with me. I need an extra person or two to help with the tot.

I'm there!

:P
(08-02-2009, 06:54 PM)goggleeyes Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-01-2009, 07:59 PM)Gie2me Wrote:I created this banana cream cake....white cake (take the yokes out) with a secret filling in the middle... Bananas with butter and cream, some spices added with crushed cashews and nutmeg, and a tad of tapioca pudding... covered with a whipped cream... add a bit of sugar to give the cream a sweetness to it. Good stuff....   it needs to stay in the fridge though becuse the bananas and creams/tapioca.

...I had a question...maybe some one can help me...  how do you keep bananas perserved when it's in a filling like that? This was an experiment cake. and the bananas turned brown after 2 days :(   any good perserve secrets ??

I don't know how to keep bananas from turning brown, but a little lemon juice is supposed to work for apples. If all else fails ... yellow food coloring?

The lemon juice trick works with bananas, too--and banana pudding looks soooo much more appealing after a couple of days when there aren't gross brown lumps in it.

I so love banana pudding. Never had it with lemon juice, but oh man what a wonderful dessert.
(08-02-2009, 10:41 PM)Matthew_R Wrote: [ -> ]

I so love banana pudding. Never had it with lemon juice, but oh man what a wonderful dessert.

One of my sisters has it in lieu of birthday cake every year. Yum!

It always reminds me of Papaw, and how he would tease one of my uncle's friends.  Papaw would ask if he'd like some banana pudding, to which the always-starving teenage boy would respond, "Yeah, man! That sounds great!" Then Papaw would say, "Me too.  It's too bad we haven't got any."  The kid was none-too-bright, as he apparently fell for this a number of times.
(08-03-2009, 11:42 AM)goggleeyes Wrote: [ -> ]

It always reminds me of Papaw, and how he would tease one of my uncle's friends.  Papaw would ask if he'd like some banana pudding, to which the always-starving teenage boy would respond, "Yeah, man! That sounds great!" Then Papaw would say, "Me too.  It's too bad we haven't got any."  The kid was none-too-bright, as he apparently fell for this a number of times.
My grandma makes a banana pudding every time we stop by, so even though I don't have it often, I always look forward to going home for dessert. Do you put the lemon juice on the banana's prior to putting them in the pudding or on the pudding after it's made.
(08-03-2009, 01:10 PM)Matthew_R Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-03-2009, 11:42 AM)goggleeyes Wrote: [ -> ]

My grandma makes a banana pudding every time we stop by, so even though I don't have it often, I always look forward to going home for dessert. Do you put the lemon juice on the banana's prior to putting them in the pudding or on the pudding after it's made.

Before it's made, we cut the bananas up, put some lemon juice in a pie plate, and swish the sliced bananas in it.  Then they're scooped out with a slotted spoon, and the pudding's made.  You can't taste it in the finished pudding, except it makes the bananas a bit more tart.  Rachel (one of my sisters) has a delicious recipe that uses sour cream. She brought it to the potluck at our church in June, and this dude had to be forcibly restrained from licking the empty bowl clean.

(Okay, I made up that last part about the guy.  :laughing: But it was all eaten, and raved about!)

Cakes last more than two days?  I think that's your problem.
I don't know about the bundt cake with the pudding inside, but I used to make a bundt cake that has a pretty solid custard on top.  After pouring the batter in the cake pan, I would pour the custard into the pan, through the cake batter, and it would fall through, winding up at the bottom of the pan; top of the cake, once turned right-side up.
(07-27-2009, 08:54 PM)Satori Wrote: [ -> ]Inspired by Vox's post about making a pavlova for the 4th, I tried my hand at this New Zealand dessert. It is a miracle. Egg whites, sugar, a mere pinch of corn starch and a splash of white vinegar, combined and baked just so, and a fluffy new world is born. Such delicate dreaminess must be experienced by all. Mine was topped with chantilly cream and cherries.

What succulent sweets have come out of the fishies' kitchens lately?

I tried to make fudge, but it was phail.  And we noticed the glass thermometer was broken.

Bye-bye, fudge that never set anyway.  :(
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13