FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Sweets
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
You can FREEZE them?  Oooooooooo...............

But Milky Ways is betta.
(08-05-2009, 08:09 PM)JaganshiKenshin Wrote: [ -> ]You can FREEZE them?  Oooooooooo...............

But Milky Ways is betta.

I don't know about milky ways, though they are good, I'm addicted to reeses
(08-05-2009, 07:41 PM)Matthew_R Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-05-2009, 07:37 PM)Satori Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-05-2009, 02:23 PM)JaganshiKenshin Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, you get double the cream---inside as well as on top.

As I've mentioned, I am not so motivated to make desserts in the summer.  Desserts always mean baking.  But now that I've thought of Twinkie-misu again...

What other non-making-kitchen-hot recipes are there?

Waaall, you could make summer pudding. I posted the recipe for that elsewhere. Basically it's very good white bread -- crusts removed -- with berries whose juices have completely saturated it, served with whipped cream. You could also make a peanut butter pie with a graham cracker crust.

I wish someone would make me a very large reeses peanut butter pie for my birthday in September. I love peanut butter and when frozen reeses peanut butter cups are addictive.

Be sure to tell your people.

The peanut butter pie I'm thinking of is made with whipped topping and cream cheese, so it's light and fluffy -- not like a peanut butter cup. But you could make a filling similar to a peanut butter cup by tweaking a recipe for peanut butter frosting. It'd be awfully sweet, though.

To make your pie more like a peanut butter cup, one could also pour ganache icing on the top. It would solidify and make a nice smooth chocolate shell. You could freeze it, if you wished.
(08-05-2009, 09:11 PM)Satori Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-05-2009, 07:41 PM)Matthew_R Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-05-2009, 07:37 PM)Satori Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-05-2009, 02:23 PM)JaganshiKenshin Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, you get double the cream---inside as well as on top.

As I've mentioned, I am not so motivated to make desserts in the summer.  Desserts always mean baking.  But now that I've thought of Twinkie-misu again...

What other non-making-kitchen-hot recipes are there?

Waaall, you could make summer pudding. I posted the recipe for that elsewhere. Basically it's very good white bread -- crusts removed -- with berries whose juices have completely saturated it, served with whipped cream. You could also make a peanut butter pie with a graham cracker crust.

I wish someone would make me a very large reeses peanut butter pie for my birthday in September. I love peanut butter and when frozen reeses peanut butter cups are addictive.

Be sure to tell your people.

The peanut butter pie I'm thinking of is made with whipped topping and cream cheese, so it's light and fluffy -- not like a peanut butter cup. But you could make a filling similar to a peanut butter cup by tweaking a recipe for peanut butter frosting. It'd be awfully sweet, though.

To make your pie more like a peanut butter cup, one could also pour ganache icing on the top. It would solidify and make a nice smooth chocolate shell. You could freeze it, if you wished.

Thank you so very much. I'm not much of a cook I'm afraid, except for the grill so I will let someone know about this. What you have described here makes my mouth water.
Matthew, here's a recipe to give to someone who loves you -- found it in one of my favorite cookbooks. I've never made this pie before, but it looks as though the peanut butter filling would be about right. The chocolate part looks more like a pudding -- if it were me making it for a peanut butter cup lover, I'd do ganache instead. Still, it looks very good.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie

Pie:
1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar              1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine, melted
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter                  1 baked (9-inch) piecrust, cooled

Filling:
1 1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate      3 egg yolks, beaten
1 tablespoon butter or margarine              2 to 3 tablespoons cornstarch
2 cups scalded milk                                    1/3 cup milk
1 cup sugar                                                    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
                                                                          whipped cream

To prepare the pie, combine the confectioner's sugar, peanut butter, and butter or margarine in a bowl with a pastry blender until crumbly. Sprinkle over the bottom of the piecrust, reserving some for the garnish.

To prepare the filling, melt the chocolate and butter or margarine in a double boiler over gently simmering water. Add the scalded milk, and blend until smooth. Whisk in the sugar, stirring until dissolved. Stir in the egg yolks. Add a mixture of the cornstarch and remaining milk, and cook for about 20 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Blend in the vanilla extract. Let stand until room temperature, stirring frequently. Pour the mixture into the prepared crust. Refrigerate until set. Top with whipped cream, and sprinkle with the reserved peanut butter mixture.

Makes 8 to 10 servings.
I've been jonesing for some cookies lately.  So I made these little ones that are like homemade moon pies.  Damned messy, but delicious!

Satori, try this for your tot:
[Image: duct_tape_baby_mianro.jpg]

If you want to get your cake out of the pan in once piece, try lining the pan with some parchment paper.  You'll have to cut a slit in the corners to make it fold correctly, but it's totally worth it.  I do the same thing for meatloaf.  It works well.
Oooh, Wahlberg, she would hate that. And soon all of the neighbors would hate it too, you know?

I keep on meaning to get parchment paper when I go to the grocery store, but always forget ... it seems so exotic.

When you say "little cookies that are like homemade moon pies," you don't mean whoopie pies, do you? I made some of those last month -- sooo delicious.

But ranger cookies are easier, and a whole lot better for you.
Well, Idunnit.

Got the Twinkies, already had some cream cheese (store brand 'soft' cream cheese, it's nasty but ehhh, it's all I have), poured some morning coffee over four Twinks and followed that with some Nocello (I'm being lazy).

Waiting for nasty store brand cream cheese to soften so I can beat in the nilla yogurt.  I was happy to discover the four Twinks fit nicely in my new tangerine-colored silicon loaf pan.
I love my silicone spatulas, but I am leary of those silicone baking pans.

What is "Nocello"?
(08-06-2009, 08:45 AM)Satori Wrote: [ -> ]When you say "little cookies that are like homemade moon pies," you don't mean whoopie pies, do you? I made some of those last month -- sooo delicious.

:shame:

Satori, dear.  This is a Catholic forum.  Please refer to them as W------ pies.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13