FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Sweets
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Inspired by Vox's post about making a pavlova for the 4th, I tried my hand at this New Zealand dessert. It is a miracle. Egg whites, sugar, a mere pinch of corn starch and a splash of white vinegar, combined and baked just so, and a fluffy new world is born. Such delicate dreaminess must be experienced by all. Mine was topped with chantilly cream and cherries.

What succulent sweets have come out of the fishies' kitchens lately?
Apple pie is, so far, the best I get when making anything that is not meat or noodles related.

;D

(But I'm getting better at the apple pie!)
I cant bake to save my life....I made banana muffins, but they came out of a package, I just added water...they were good though!
This.

Because sometimes, I'm just a little bit of an idiot... we're moving in three days.

:pazzo:

sorry - but the sounds at 4:10 and 4:49 are almost guaranteed to make me laugh no matter how bad things get .

:)

bwow-bwowbwowbwow... :laughing:
I made a blackberry pie last night, We have blackberries all over our land.
Last week I made a jelly roll, filled with whole-berry cranberry sauce (yes, from a can) mixed with a package of cream cheese.  It was really tasty, if I do say so myself.

Today I made my great-great-grandmother's layer cake, with fudgy frosting.  By request, one layer was pink and one purple.  Only they came out of the pans in a million fragments.  :laughing:  So I put roughly half of one cake in a glass bowl, frosted, half of the other, frosted, etc.  You can see the layers through the bowl, and one might think it was purposeful.

Given how I demolished and had to piece together the jelly roll (stuck to the pan), and the mess today, perhaps I should stick to bread-baking and making regular meals, and leave the desserts to my youngest sister.
(07-28-2009, 03:26 PM)goggleeyes Wrote: [ -> ]Last week I made a jelly roll, filled with whole-berry cranberry sauce (yes, from a can) mixed with a package of cream cheese.  It was really tasty, if I do say so myself.

Today I made my great-great-grandmother's layer cake, with fudgy frosting.  By request, one layer was pink and one purple.  Only they came out of the pans in a million fragments.  :laughing:  So I put roughly half of one cake in a glass bowl, frosted, half of the other, frosted, etc.  You can see the layers through the bowl, and one might think it was purposeful.

Given how I demolished and had to piece together the jelly roll (stuck to the pan), and the mess today, perhaps I should stick to bread-baking and making regular meals, and leave the desserts to my youngest sister.

There's stuff you can spray on pans so the food doesn't stick.  Don't know what it's called but it's really quite amazing. 
I taught my boys how to make snickerdoodles last night.  That's as fancy as I get nowadays.
(07-28-2009, 03:48 PM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-28-2009, 03:26 PM)goggleeyes Wrote: [ -> ]Last week I made a jelly roll, filled with whole-berry cranberry sauce (yes, from a can) mixed with a package of cream cheese.  It was really tasty, if I do say so myself.

There's stuff you can spray on pans so the food doesn't stick.  Don't know what it's called but it's really quite amazing. 

I've heard tell of such wonders!  ;)

I swear, I followed the directions, sprayed and floured the pans. This never happens to Libby....  (Not the poster here; Libby is my sister's name.)
(07-28-2009, 04:00 PM)goggleeyes Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-28-2009, 03:48 PM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]

I've heard tell of such wonders!  ;)

I swear, I followed the directions, sprayed and floured the pans. This never happens to Libby....  (Not the poster here; Libby is my sister's name.)

Hmmmm.  I thought I was imparting little known wisdom.  I guess the pan spray stuff is common knowledge. 

This is why I never cook.    :shrug:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13