FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Book on the High Middle Ages
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My husband is interested in learning more about the High Middle Ages.  Does anyone know of a good book that I could find for him?  A general overview of the period is what I'm looking for; we know almost nothing about Medieval history.  Preferably it would be from a Catholic perspective, naturally.
The Thirteenth
Greatest of Centuries
by

James J. Walsh, M.D., PH.D., LL.D.
Acting Dean and Professor of the History of Medicine and of
Nervous Diseases, Fordham University School of
Medicine; Professor of Physiological
Psychology at St. Francis Xavier's
and Cathedral Colleges,
New York.

with illustrations

Catholic Summer School Press
New York, 1907

To Right Rev. Monsignor M. J. Lavelle,

Rector of St. Patrick's Cathedral, New York, Sometime President of the Catholic Summer School, to whose fatherly patronage this book is largely due, and without whose constant encouragement it would not have been completed, it is respectfully and affectionately dedicated by the author. 

http://www2.nd.edu/Departments//Maritain.../walsh.htm

Old, but still a classic! You can probably find it in a good library.
I got one called An Illustrated History of Late Medieval England by Chris Given Wilson.Its a great book it covers late medieval life in England from the late 1200's to the early 1500's. It is very therough it covers everything from Architecture,  art, military, science, medicine, religion, even the sexual practices of the late medieval british(how they figured out what the stable boy was doing with the tavern girl I cant figure) Wink, farm life, the types of literature prevalent. Its really good. It only concentrates on England though and as far as Religion goes it is non partisan just done through a scholarly standpoint there is no anti-Catholic bias which is about as good as you can get for a modern book. But it does have a very good chapter on the Religious practices of the People. The cover of the Book has a Picture of the Virgin Mary with a bunch of Angels surrounding her so that's a plus. Its 40$ though, its a pretty fancy book. Highly recomend.
Another good one that focuses just on Religion is called The Stripping of the Alters by Eamon Duffy. The first half describes the religious practices of the Late Medieval English with whole chapters devoted to personal piety and devotion ,the Mass, the divine office, its great and very sad to see the New Religion forced on the people, definate parallels to Vatican II. The second half deals with the Protestant revolt started by Henry VIII. It is very pro Catholic and anti reformation. Though it just tells it like it was you can tell the author has a pro Catholic bias.
  One to stay away from is called The Middle Ages by Roland H Bainton. It has an entire chapter making fun of the cult of the Saints. I read it before I knew that this author is the same Author of the famous book Here I Stand a biography of Martin Luther.  :o D'oh!!
Danke!

I'm really looking forward into getting "Stripping of the Altars"! and one from TAN on Luther entitled, "Facts About Luther.'
Here-- https://www.tanbooks.com/index.php/page/...uct_id/273

(07-30-2009, 02:33 AM)Ravenonthecross Wrote: [ -> ]Danke!

I'm really looking forward into getting "Stripping of the Altars"! and one from TAN on Luther entitled, "Facts About Luther.'
Here-- https://www.tanbooks.com/index.php/page/...uct_id/273

Sorry I misunderstood your question. I thought you were interested in the High Middle Ages aka the Age of Faith. Both books you mention deal with the Northern Renaissance period, not the High Middle Ages.
I very heartily recommend Medieval Civilization by Kay Slocum, which is not written from a Catholic perspective, but is nonetheless a most insightful and absorbing account of mediaeval life and culture.
I would recommend "The Glory of Christendom" by Warren Carroll.  Very comprehensive, well-written and Roman Catholic.  Another thought is "The Church in the Dark Ages" by Daniel Henri-Rops, although this book might not cover the time period you're after.  Both of these authors are/were very firmly Roman Catholic and completely credible. 
Some books by Distributists-in particular Belloc, McNabb, Medaille touch on it, some have whole chapters......
The books by Regine Pernoud are good, also Thomas Costain. But you might consider reading the authors from the Middle Ages themselves to get a picture of thier life: Chaucer is always good to start. Some of the minor historians are back in print, too; the Illustrated History by Matthew Paris is interesting, it gives a good picture of English life.
(07-29-2009, 11:47 PM)SmileBugMK Wrote: [ -> ]My husband is interested in learning more about the High Middle Ages.  Does anyone know of a good book that I could find for him?  A general overview of the period is what I'm looking for; we know almost nothing about Medieval history.  Preferably it would be from a Catholic perspective, naturally.

I don't know good generic overview but GK Chesterton has a wonderful books on St Thomas Aquinas and on on  St Francis Assissi

http://wikilivres.info/wiki/St._Thomas_A...he_Dumb_Ox

http://wikilivres.info/wiki/St._Francis

Pages: 1 2