FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Mystery Worshipper Reviews FSSP in Toronto
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The "Mystery Worshipper" at ship of fools dropped in on our Corpus Christi Mass and Benediction at Holy Cross Church in Toronto and gave it a good review:

http://www.ship-of-fools.com/mystery/2009/1741.html

I can assure you that the "commotion" during the Canon he refers to wasn't committed by the FSSP attendees. The parish had scheduled a wedding rehearsal immediately after the Mass (it's our temporary church) and people had come early and started chatting loudly in the vestibule during the Canon. The sound carries easily into the nave, so it was extremely distracting. The choir director got extremely upset and had to go down from the choir loft several times to get them to shut up (more kept on arriving).

When we don't have to deal with typical NO parishioners anymore, things like that won't happen.
Quote:9 – If I were still a Roman Catholic, I would most likely frequent the Fraternity’s apostolate. I will be returning as a visitor.

Why do we care about the opinions of apostates?

Reviewing Masses like reviewing restaurants seems quasi-blasphemous in my book.  It's one thing to appropriately report abuses, but Mass is not a "Blue Plate Special".

It also seems to me much of the review is based on the "feeling of community" rather than reverence, etc.  But this would be typical from a Protestant / Novus Ordo perspective.  I'm sure a Trad would review a Protestant Service / NO Mass from his own viewpoint as well, so I suppose it's a fair way to look at things even if it subverts the purpose of the Mass.

(08-01-2009, 05:24 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:9 – If I were still a Roman Catholic, I would most likely frequent the Fraternity’s apostolate. I will be returning as a visitor.

If anything will draw him/her back in, quality liturgy seems to be it. What this mystery worshipper thinks is relevant to understanding those who apostatized after the council because of intolerable liturgy.

If this helps inform people that decent liturgy still exists in the Catholic Church, I think it's worth it.

Reviewing Masses like reviewing restaurants seems quasi-blasphemous in my book.  It's one thing to appropriately report abuses, but Mass is not a "Blue Plate Special".

It also seems to me much of the review is based on the "feeling of community" rather than reverence, etc.  But this would be typical from a Protestant / Novus Ordo perspective.  I'm sure a Trad would review a Protestant Service / NO Mass from his own viewpoint as well, so I suppose it's a fair way to look at things even if it subverts the purpose of the Mass.

A good mass can do wonders, so I hope this person comes back to the Church. Tt seems, based on the short statements, the reason for "not being Catholic" is likely ignorance, so they probably just need proper instruction, and the priest may be just the person to do it.

I do agree though that reviewing a church like that is improper, but from the looks of it, the review doesn't know better. I highly doubt they know Catholic teaching based on the way they word their review.

As for why do we care about the opinions of apostates? I don't know.

Did you stop reading after the part that you made red?

The END of that sentence makes it appear as though the TLM has gotten its hooks in someone else.  How is that not great? 

Shouldn't we be GLAD someone who is fallen away has the desire to "return as a visitor" to the TLM? 

Seriously.

Oh, also, lookee here:
Quote:And which part was like being in... er... the other place?
The Lord’s Prayer was sung by the priest alone until the last line. The sequence was sung by a cantor, and I couldn’t help thinking that in any self-respecting Anglo-Catholic church there would be lusty congregational participation at that point.

What happened when you hung around after the service looking lost?
Not much. After loitering for several minutes, I slid my calling card into a donations box and went to find my bus.

Hrm, so a former Catholic, gone Anglo-Catholic, slips their calling card (?) into the donation box, and says "I will be returning as a visitor". 

Yep, that's just a travesty, and this person is horrible.  Why not pray for their reversion to the True Faith? 
(08-01-2009, 05:40 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]

Did you stop reading after the part that you made red?

No, I read the whole thing.

Quote:The END of that sentence makes it appear as though the TLM has gotten its hooks in someone else.  How is that not great? 

Shouldn't we be GLAD someone who is fallen away has the desire to "return as a visitor" to the TLM? 

Well, because his comments are about bells and smells.  I'm thinking he'd be better off going to the Novus Ordo with the faith than the TLM without it.

Quote:Oh, also, lookee here:
Quote:And which part was like being in... er... the other place?
The Lord’s Prayer was sung by the priest alone until the last line. The sequence was sung by a cantor, and I couldn’t help thinking that in any self-respecting Anglo-Catholic church there would be lusty congregational participation at that point.

What happened when you hung around after the service looking lost?
Not much. After loitering for several minutes, I slid my calling card into a donations box and went to find my bus.

Hrm, so a former Catholic, gone Anglo-Catholic, slips their calling card (?) into the donation box, and says "I will be returning as a visitor". 

Exactly.  It doesn't matter to him if he goes to the TLM, the "utterly null and void" anglican services, etc.  And we sure enough need another person clamoring for more "audience participation" at the TLM, right?

Quote:Yep, that's just a travesty, and this person is horrible.  Why not pray for their reversion to the True Faith? 

I didn't say that, you did.  I didn't comment anything about this person in my original post except they were apostate which is a fact.

Well, I will, and I'll also pray that you gain the skill of reading comprehension and the ability to comment without assigning malicious motivations to others.
(08-01-2009, 11:32 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: [ -> ]I didn't say that, you did.  I didn't comment anything about this person in my original post except they were apostate which is a fact.

Technically speaking, the person who wrote that article would not be an apostate. An apostate is someone who completely rejects Christianity (cf. CIC, can. 751). The writer of that article (if I am not mistaken), left Catholicism for Anglicanism, so he would be a heretic.
Quote: Well, because his comments are about bells and smells.  I'm thinking he'd be better off going to the Novus Ordo with the faith than the TLM without it.
Nope.  The N.O. won't make him a Catholic.  The TLM delivers abundant Grace.  Perhaps someone at this parish could email him and invite him back?
I hope your hopes are not dashed

I'm not holding my breath for ya though.

Seen this sort of thing before.

Everybody has five faces:

- as he sees himself
- as others see him
- as he thinks that others see him
- as others think that he sees himself
- as God sees him

Naturally we shall to conform our self conscience with the God's view, the opinion of others could be helpful.

laszlo
Pages: 1 2