FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Pieces of blessed sacramentals
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a rosary, which shouldn't surprise anyone, but I want to put another crucifix on it. This rosary is blessed so I have not done it unless I know the details of doing such things.

Since I bought the replacement crucifix, it doesn't count as blessed even if it were in the past (which I have no way of knowing, it is quite old).

I have a couple questions:

0. Can I remove a crucifix of a blessed rosary and put another crucifix on it?
1. Does the removed crucifix retain its blessed status?
2. Does the rosary retain its blessed status?
3. What about the smaller bits of metal of the rosary? If there are fragments of them, what is their status?
You should ask a priest, but the way I understand it is that a blessed object loses its blessing when it is substantially altered.  Otherwise, a chip in a St. Joseph statue would make it "unblessed" and every time a Rosary was repaired (to the point of replacing a pin) it would have to be re-blessed.
A blessed object loses its blessing when its form is substantially or unalterably changed.

Thus, a candle is no longer blessed when it is melted down, even if it is reformed into another candle, since it lost its form as a candle. Another way a candle can be "unblessed" is to remove the wick. That is typically how old paschal candles are disposed of. The candle is cut, the wick removed, and the pieces are either melted down into new candles or can be disposed of in the garbage (since they are no longer part of a candle, but merely chunks of wax.

A statue which is chipped, is still a statue. A statue which is smashed to the point of being chunks of plaster, marble or wood is no longer, because it's lost its form.

A house is blessed until it is sold, but one can build additions onto it, or put on a new roof and the house is still blessed, since it retained its basic form.

From that it would seem that a Rosary which has the crucifix removed is still usable as a Rosary so it is probably still blessed. The crucifix itself is not blessed, so it would not be blessed if not attached to the Rosary. Any small bits of metal that are cut off or reattached are not blessed since they are not part of the form of the Rosary any longer. If you were to intentionally remove anything from the circular part of the beads, then it probably is no longer blessed. Accedental loss of a bead or repair work probably doesn't make the object no longer blessed.

It is good to remember that, it is not necessary to have the Rosary blessed, though it's a salutatory practice. In fact, Fr Z. recently mentioned on his blog that the Enchiridion of Indulgences (which provides the details for the recitation of the Rosary and the attached indulgences) does not indicate that a Rosary must be blessed to receive the indulgences. Certain extra indulgences are attached to the recitation of a Rosary blessed by a Dominican priest, and originally, all Rosaries had to be blessed by Dominicans, now being extended to all priests.

You might ask a priest to bless the object again anyway. There is nothing wrong with an object being blessed twice, so long as you don't start to think that one blessing is not enough, or somehow two is better. It's either blessed or not, but if in doubt due to repair work done on the blessed object, you can have it blessed again. You ought to tell the priest that it was blessed, and due to damage or repair work you think it may have lost its blessing.