FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Rosary problems
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As some of you probably know, I have a site where people can request free rosaries and then I send them a rosary, hopefully a nice one that I made or I was given.

My original intent for this was to fulfill what I call the "domestic gap", where people are focused on giving to people in desperate need in far away lands, and forget individuals can have the same need in their backyard. The good thing about my site is that it is easily found by a person just googling about where to get a free rosary. I get many requests from people wanting a rosary for themselves, or their children, who had no other way of getting one at that time. I also get a lot of requests from new converts.

The problem has come where I get requests for many rosaries from a person in another country. I do not like turning people down, and tried my best to get the rosaries they want. As their requests are for hundreds of rosaries, I rely on donations, which I get from many generous people. I could not make enough rosaries myself to fulfill their request, so donations solved that problem, but the other problem is shipping. I am unemployed and cannot really afford to ship such large packages overseas, plus, it intereferes with my efforts to help individuals. I try to sell rosaries to cover the costs, but that isn't working out too well (a single package of 400 rosaries costs near $100 to send to another country).

So, I decided to redirect all requests for bulk rosaries to people more equiped to handle them, however... I don't know where they should go yet. Anyone know of good organisations from which to request many rosaries and have them fulfilled?

I hope to get a list of such organisations so I'm not redirecting too many requests to one group. Thanks.
You've probably heard of them, but Our Lady's Rosary Makers in Kentucky is one option. They sell Rosary supplies and also have a newsletter in which they list Rosary requests from around the world.

http://www.olrm.org/
I'm sorry if this sounds cynical, but I would be concerned that at least some of these bulk requests are from people who intend to sell the rosaries.  In other words, retailers.  For that reason, I would be circumspect. :hmmm:

Good day!
(08-05-2009, 11:04 AM)ImpyTerwilliger Wrote: [ -> ]I'm sorry if this sounds cynical, but I would be concerned that at least some of these bulk requests are from people who intend to sell the rosaries.  In other words, retailers.  For that reason, I would be circumspect. :hmmm:

Good day!

Cynical? No... See: http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...=3391976.0

Rosarium,

I've had this post bookmarked for awhile, but I'm just getting around to having some thoughts.  I know of one parish group that makes rosaries to send to all sorts of places, but I'm still tracking down the person I know there, to get information on who they work through, etc.

One idea specifically related to the shipping issue (but also perhaps a way to verify the authenticity of the request):  I'd ask the person in the other country what missionary groups or orders work in their area.  If they say there are none, or they aren't aware of any, I'd ask them to check with their diocese on the question.  I'm no authority on the foreign missions, but I have had a keen interest in them, and I would find it unusual if there were no outside Catholic groups or orders working in a developing country, though if the country is in Africa those orders or groups might primarily be from Europe.  If a connection could be made with an order or group with some US base, rosaries could perhaps be sent through them, with just domestic shipping cost.  As an example, the Oregon Province of the Society of Jesus (Jesuits) has several priests working in various countries of Africa (usually teaching at the university level), and I'm sure things could be sent with them - one of them is my late aunt's brother, who is currently working in Sudan (the Catholic part).

Another shipping idea, is to have them ask if their diocese has any seminarians studying in the US, or, more likely, in Rome.  Then, ask your diocese if they have any seminarians in Rome - rosaries could be given to your diocesian seminarian when he is home sometime on leave, and then he would give them to the seminarian from the other country to take back home when he goes.  The parish rosary group I mentioned above has used the "Rome seminarian connection" to get rosaries overseas.

If the person in the other country is unwilling to make some inquiries as suggested above, to facilitate the shipping, you should not feel bad in not sending to them.  They should be willing to make some small effort if they are serious about distributing rosaries, and the personal connections involved with sending the rosaries by a person woud help assure that the request is authentic.

Maybe you could check with some of the organizations at your parish or in your diocese?  I'm thinking of Legion of Mary, circles at your church if there are some, Knights of Columbus, etc?  I know at my parish, the Legion of Mary and some of the circles make rosaries make rosaries(not in huge numbers).  Don't know about  refering requests to them, but they might be able to help.  Maybe put a request in the bulletin at your parish, also?
There are the missions as i think has been said also the Grey friars Franciscan renewal for urban distribution. And the armed forces we have often had requests from them.
(08-07-2009, 02:25 PM)moneil Wrote: [ -> ]Rosarium,

I've had this post bookmarked for awhile, but I'm just getting around to having some thoughts.  I know of one parish group that makes rosaries to send to all sorts of places, but I'm still tracking down the person I know there, to get information on who they work through, etc.

One idea specifically related to the shipping issue (but also perhaps a way to verify the authenticity of the request):  I'd ask the person in the other country what missionary groups or orders work in their area.  If they say there are none, or they aren't aware of any, I'd ask them to check with their diocese on the question.  I'm no authority on the foreign missions, but I have had a keen interest in them, and I would find it unusual if there were no outside Catholic groups or orders working in a developing country, though if the country is in Africa those orders or groups might primarily be from Europe.  If a connection could be made with an order or group with some US base, rosaries could perhaps be sent through them, with just domestic shipping cost.   As an example, the Oregon Province of the Society of Jesus (Jesuits) has several priests working in various countries of Africa (usually teaching at the university level), and I'm sure things could be sent with them - one of them is my late aunt's brother, who is currently working in Sudan (the Catholic part).

Another shipping idea, is to have them ask if their diocese has any seminarians studying in the US, or, more likely, in Rome.  Then, ask your diocese if they have any seminarians in Rome - rosaries could be given to your diocesian seminarian when he is home sometime on leave, and then he would give them to the seminarian from the other country to take back home when he goes.  The parish rosary group I mentioned above has used the "Rome seminarian connection" to get rosaries overseas.

If the person in the other country is unwilling to make some inquiries as suggested above, to facilitate the shipping, you should not feel bad in not sending to them.  They should be willing to make some small effort if they are serious about distributing rosaries, and the personal connections involved with sending the rosaries by a person woud help assure that the request is authentic.

Excellent suggestions, moneil. 

The Living Rosary Association constantly sends boxes of sacramentals such as rosaries, Mriaculous Medals, and a bunch of other stuff overseas to countries like the Philippines, Papua New Guinea, several African nations such as Congo, Uganda, and Sudan, and Pakistan and India. Go here for more info:

philomena.org