FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Feast of St. John Marie Vianney: Share about your favorite priest
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello,

I would like to begin a thread about the wonderful priests we have surely all known in our lives. I will begin.

My favorite priest is my spiritual director.  I have known him for almost 9 years.  Our Lady brought us together.  I met him by way of a relative and plans were made for me to visit his friary the next day.  That night the Holy Spirit kept me up all night.  I had deep scars on my soul and I was made to know that I must bring them to father J. for healing.  I did not want to!  But I did. And those scars never have distressed me again.  Fr. J. is a long distance director for me and I only see  him once a year in person and that time is coming soon. It is particularly in confession that I am so astounded by the graces that are palpible. I 'feel' the grace. The first time that happened I marvelled for days and days. Who knew this could happen in that sacrament.

My next favorite priest is an Irish priest--Fr. Liam. Oh, what a character! And like Fr. J.--he is a priest every day of the year.  He lives his priesthood continuously. There is no vacation from the priesthood or from God, from souls, from the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. Fr. Liam is outspoken and he tells it like it is. He was in  my life for only two short years but I savored his presence well in that allotted time. I have kept in touch.

Next is probably my current confessor. He is a missionary priest from India. He is kind and gentle. He also never takes a day off.  He loves to care for the sick and imprisoned.  He loves the sacrament of confession as did Fr. J and Fr. Liam. He takes a long time with souls who are so poorly catechised in this world. He is Father Jacob.

I do love a holy priest. I love the priesthood.  Unfortunately I have known some priests who I did not like and for many and serious reasons but this is not the place for that. Those priests are for me to pray for. We get what we deserve, it is said so we had better be praying for HOLY ORTHODOX priests!  We pray for their good formation and that the Latin Mass will be taught in seminaries as the Holy Father asks so that our new priests and the faithful have access to our beautiful liturgy and our heritage.

Ok--anyone else?  Let us share about the holy and tireless priests in our lives.
Awesome thread! I hope it takes off!!!

How about Fr. Bonfil, God love him! Heavy Italian accent, lovable personality, strong advocate and provider of the TLM to the faithful throughout the infancy of the revolution - Eternal rest grant unto him oh Lord and let perpetual light shine upon him!!! 

I could go on and on about this happily charitable priest, but what a sense of humor lol...............some of his favorite quotes include: "Better to smoke here than in the hereafter" (he was a smoker)  - he ALWAYS ordered "decapitated coffee" at restaurants - waitress always chuckled and so did we lol -  and playfully called the Nuns who went along with the changes; "Nunnie Bunnies".

Then theres Fr James from Pime Missionaries who offered what I think was possibly the most awesomely beautiful  TLM's ever. He celebrated my sister's requiem mass and even those who were infidels were in tears when he said the Dies Irae - something I will remember till my last breath - to this day I never heard anything so awesome and beautiful........God bless him! 

Fr. John Sims Baker, he's my spiritual director. Everyone I met told me that our traditional views were very close and that I should go to him for spiritual direction, so I did. He's the chaplain for the Catholic students at Vanderbilt University and he works tirelessly to bring them to Christ. He really does not have time to meet with me in his terribly busy schedule but he makes time and he is bound and determined to get my soul to heaven. He does not let me be led astray and he is perpetually happy and calm. Very very good priest.
Remember that there is a plenary indulgence available today.

http://acatholiclife.blogspot.com/2009/0...-john.html
Anyone know Fr. Stephan DuPre, FSSP? If you did, he would be at the top of your list.
Fr. Magiera, FSSP, Indianapolis, IN.

Although I haven't been to more than 10 Masses at Holy Rosary, the Masses I HAVE been to have been amazing, filled with reverence, and great homilies.  Stunning, everytime I go. 

Also the two FSSP priests, Frs. Ramm and Lugmayr in Stuttgart, for putting up with my shaky German in the confessional!  :laughing:  (And, I think they have good sermons.  The parts I get are good!  :laughing:)

And Fr. Cirignani, OFM, formerly in Milwaukee (he got moved to some other place).  I only went to a summer's worth of his Masses (he's Novus Ordo), but he had possibly the best NO in the Archdiocese, with a great choir, and really knew how to be a great parish priest. 

;D

St. John Vianney, pray for our priests!
(08-04-2009, 06:54 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]Fr. Magiera, FSSP, Indianapolis, IN.

Although I haven't been to more than 10 Masses at Holy Rosary, the Masses I HAVE been to have been amazing, filled with reverence, and great homilies.  Stunning, everytime I go. 

Oh yes Father Magiera is great, he has given Mass for my Latin Mass community quite a few times. His past Opera singing is evident, quite the voice.
(08-04-2009, 07:03 PM)Gie2me Wrote:
(08-04-2009, 06:42 PM)Heinrich Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone know Fr. Stephan DuPre, FSSP? If you did, he would be at the top of your list.

Oh?   why is that?

Indefatigable Evangelising, great homilies, a robust sense of humor, fiercely anti modernist, no nonsense confessor, etc.
(08-04-2009, 12:04 PM)acatholiclife Wrote: [ -> ]Remember that there is a plenary indulgence available today.

http://acatholiclife.blogspot.com/2009/0...-john.html

August 4th. Saint John Marie Vianney (1859).

This glorious parish priest was born in eastern France, three years before the French Revolution broke out. He was a simple farmer’s boy. He received his first Holy Communion secretly in a barn when he was thirteen years of age. He later began studies or the priesthood. Because of the simple innocence of his mind, he found it very hard to pass the seminary examinations. His great devotions were to the Blessed Sacrament and to Our Blessed Lady. After months of prayer to Our Blessed Lady, he finally obtained the favor of being ordained a priest in 1815. He got encouragement to pursue his vocation to the priesthood at the tomb of Saint John Francis Regis. He was first made an assistant pastor at Ecully, and later a pastor at the little village of Ars. He stayed there for forty-one years, until he died. He is always referred to as the Cur’e of Ars. So great was his sanctity that people from all over Europe came to see him. He used to spend from sixteen to eighteen hours in the confessional every day. Heads of the State, army officers, university professors, bishops and priest, all went to him for direction. Toward the end of his life, nearly 20,000 pilgrims visited him every year. Pope Pius XI proclaimed him the patron of all parish priests. He was one of the most loved priests in the history of the Catholic Church. Everyone remembers him either as siting in the confessional or kneeling before the Blessed Sacrament or before an image of Our Blessed Mother, always with the rosary beads in his hand.

- - -from “Saints to Remember from January to December,” by the Slaves of the Immaculate Heart of Mary
Is Fr. Dupre in Fountain, Colorado?

If so, I believe I have assisted at his Mass once in the past.
Pages: 1 2