FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Homily by Cardinal Levada @ Convention
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I figure some of y'all might be interested in this...

Quote:While Pope Liberius’ church is shrouded by legend, the existing basilica of St. Mary Major stands clearly in history: it was built immediately after the Council of Ephesus, which met in the year 431. That council marked a significant milestone in the development of our understanding of who Jesus Christ is. The chain of events which led to Ephesus began around the year 428, when a preacher in Constantinople referred to Mary as the Theotokos, the one who gave birth to God. Although the title had been used for some time in that city, the bishop, who was from Antioch, was scandalized. How could we say that Mary, a mere creature, was the Mother of God? Time does not permit us to explore all the theological issues of the debate, but the conclusion reached at the Council of Ephesus was very clear. The doctrine is expressed very well in the Catechism of the Catholic Church: “… the One whom Mary conceived as man by the Holy Spirit, who truly became her Son according to the flesh, was none other than the Father’s eternal Son, the second person of the Holy Trinity. Hence the Church confesses that Mary is truly ‘Mother of God’ (Theotokos).” (CCC 495) The title “Mother of God” may seem paradoxical, but it is orthodox: paradoxical, because Mary as a creature could not be the Mother of God as God; orthodox, because to say that Jesus was truly born of Mary and is the eternal Son of God effectively proclaims that he is fully human and fully divine.

Read more here:
http://www.dcknights.org/127th-conventio...-the-faith
Levada did not allow TLM:  http://www.sffaith.com/ed/articles/1999/0399gm2.htm

Somewhat supportive of Homosexuality: 

"Gay ministries
Levada also allowed a predominantly gay and lesbian parish in the Castro district, Most Holy Redeemer Church to remain active in the Archdiocese."    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Lev...ministries

well coudl go on, but time is short.largely, he is productof post V2 and fits NewChurch fine....which means he fights the K of C fine (ya ever ntoice the K of C members rarely attend things like rosaries,etc......? rarely have I seen them active other than Sunday Mass and whenever a dignitary is nearby.....liek Freemasons, not a real deep piety there......hope Anderson got his obligatory photo op w/Levada....."ge, gosh, a Vatican bigshot is here with me").

For the record, I am a 3rd degree, but have not paid dues nor attend a meeting in yrs and yrs.......do have insurance, have not found a better paln to move to.....yet.....
apparently he thinks evolution is good and science is auto from religion:

http://www.cathnews.com/article.aspx?aeid=12151

stating "When Galileo was condemned in 1770, it was forbidden to teach Galilean theories in the area of astronomy and [the Church] observed that," he said.

"It went on teaching Galileo's theories in the area of natural philosophy because in the end the evidence spoke for itself and religion was simply wrong in all those areas.

"For religion to actually recognise the autonomy of science within its particular area is I think for the good of both disciplines."

Pius IX in Syllabus condemned:
3. Human reason, without any reference whatsoever to God, is the sole arbiter of truth and falsehood, and of good and evil; it is law to itself, and suffices, by its natural force, to secure the welfare of men and of nations
8. As human reason is placed on a level with religion itself, so theological must be treated in the same manner as philosophical sciences.—Allocution "Singulari quadam," Dec. 9, 1854.
9. All the dogmas of the Christian religion are indiscriminately the object of natural science or philosophy, and human reason, enlightened solely in an historical way, is able, by its own natural strength and principles, to attain to the true science of even the most abstruse dogmas; provided only that such dogmas be proposed to reason itself as its object.—Letters to the Archbishop of Munich, "Gravissimas inter," Dec. 11, 1862, and "Tuas libenter," Dec. 21, 1863.
12. The decrees of the Apostolic See and of the Roman congregations impede the true progress of science.—Ibid.

Pope St. Pius X condemend:

5. Since the deposit of Faith contains only revealed truths, the Church has no right to pass judgment on the assertions of the human sciences.
57. The Church has shown that she is hostile to the progress of the natural and theological sciences.
65. Modern Catholicism can be reconciled with true science only if it is transformed into a non-dogmatic Christianity; that is to say, into a broad and liberal Protestantism

http://www.papalencyclicals.net/Pius10/p10lamen.htm

(08-06-2009, 01:46 PM)Belloc Wrote: [ -> ]which means he fights the K of C fine (ya ever ntoice the K of C members rarely attend things like rosaries,etc......? rarely have I seen them active other than Sunday Mass and whenever a dignitary is nearby.....liek Freemasons, not a real deep piety there......hope Anderson got his obligatory photo op w/Levada....."ge, gosh, a Vatican bigshot is here with me").

I can't truly speak to the Knights where you are.  Many in my area do the rosary on a regular basis (as do many of my own council for instance).  In the same vein, many individuals (myself included) don't find the Rosary to be particularly spiritually rewarding... and that is OK. 

Also, as you stated, you haven't been to a meeting in some time - the Knights are normally only very visible during the Sunday Mass and at events with Dignitaries because that is part of the Knights' unique call - the 4th Degree Knights especially are there to present an honor guard.  Most of the work the Knights do isn't necessarily visible (that is the point after all right...?).  Generally, we seem to have the opposite problem - getting Knights to publicize what they're doing. 

As for Anderson, his role is in part to be the visible head of the Knights and he's overseen one of the largest expansions in a while, taking over for PSK Dechant in that sense...  He's probably the most visible lay member of the faithful... anywhere.
(08-06-2009, 01:46 PM)Belloc Wrote: [ -> ](ya ever ntoice the K of C members rarely attend things like rosaries,etc......?

No, I haven't noticed; probably because the Knights in my area are among the MOST active in those types of "things".
I don't know my Knights Council(s) often have a rosary once or twice a month, I wish it would be more, perhaps I'll bring it up at the meeting tonight.  Yes, there is a lot left wanting to the Knights at least on the council I was in.  Of course I have a kind of resentment toward the former establishment in charge there as they passed me up for the GK for a person who didn't attend not even 25% of events or meetings, who was brought in because he could get the "youths" (as this was a college council).  Oh and I had such brillant ideas too and cheap ones too, but I sort of disappeared that year as I didn't want that a-hole to get credit for everything for doing nothing, and I carried on my own plans reaching out the lost and confused and so on.
(08-06-2009, 03:45 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-06-2009, 01:46 PM)Belloc Wrote: [ -> ](ya ever ntoice the K of C members rarely attend things like rosaries,etc......?

No, I haven't noticed; probably because the Knights in my area are among the MOST active in those types of "things".

The same is true of the three Councils I've been a member of.
I'm pretty sure the Knights in my college town run the Pro-Life Rosary each month.