FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Dr. Woods Writes About Where the Pope Went Wrong
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

The following link comes from Takimag.  As the subject heading states, Dr. Thomas E. Woods Jr. opines about (or should it be "on"?)  the Holy Father's Caritas in Veritate.  Fellow Fisheaters: What's the verdict?

http://www.takimag.com/site/article/truth_charity/
By the way, pardon me for being overly explanatory in my post: it's the teacher in me asserting its ugly head.
(08-07-2009, 01:51 PM)Amusing_Myself_to_Death Wrote: [ -> ]Fellow Fisheaters: What's the verdict?

:doh:

I may have time to add more later. Thanks for posting this.
(08-07-2009, 01:51 PM)Amusing_Myself_to_Death Wrote: [ -> ]The following link comes from Takimag.  As the subject heading states, Dr. Thomas E. Woods Jr. opines about (or should it be "on"?)  the Holy Father's Caritas in Veritate.  Fellow Fisheaters: What's the verdict?

In the beginning there was Mesopotamia and Egypt, outside them the chaos.

This was exchanged after a short rule of the Persian then Greeks by the Roman Empire,  essentialy the Mediterran and outside it the barbarians.

Then came Europe with France and England as centers, followed by the short rule of the US.

May be a new Vespasian is coming and expands the rule of the US for a few more centuries,  but more probably the next logical step is the rule of the nations which still procreate and advance; China and India.

In this situation the best hope is a global government which looks for everyone's interest, instead of simply changing the ruler, and turn the West to slaves of the ruling Oriental nations. The only way to prevent them to became the only superpower is to help the development of the rest of the Word, and help the poor a smaller nations to balance the absolute power of the fastest developing great nations. A new Vespasian can turn US to lead this process, but it will not come from the present trends and within the present power structures.

laszlo

(08-07-2009, 02:39 PM)glgas Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-07-2009, 01:51 PM)Amusing_Myself_to_Death Wrote: [ -> ]The following link comes from Takimag.  As the subject heading states, Dr. Thomas E. Woods Jr. opines about (or should it be "on"?)  the Holy Father's Caritas in Veritate.  Fellow Fisheaters: What's the verdict?

This was exchanged after a short rule of the Persian then Greeks by the Roman Empire,  essentialy the Mediterran and outside it the barbarians.

Then came Europe with France and England as centers, followed by the short rule of the US.

May be a new Vespasian is coming and expands the rule of the US for a few more centuries,  but more probably the next logical step is the rule of the nations which still procreate and advance; China and India.

In this situation the best hope is a global government which looks for everyone's interest, instead of simply changing the ruler, and turn the West to slaves of the ruling Oriental nations. The only way to prevent them to became the only superpower is to help the development of the rest of the Word, and help the poor a smaller nations to balance the absolute power of the fastest developing great nations. A new Vespasian can turn US to lead this process, but it will not come from the present trends and within the present power structures.

laszlo

You waited until Friday, but you win the Oxymoron Award for the week. 

Woods has attacked Catholic teaching of 100+ yrs...dropped after V2, which Woods attacks........do a search of him from my posts, will be revealing, he is in opposition to Catholic Social Teaching and guilty of the same cafeteria mentality he attacks.......maybe it is the paycheck, or residuals from his pre-Catholic days.........but, all I will say on that as I am apparently guilty of posting too often and too much......tempted as I am to see what enraptured excitment some others here (also outside CST) may say about the saintly libertarian Woods, I will try to resist.....again, check my posts, esp "Can Mises be Baptized" and posts about D_________ and Woods in particular....also see "refuting hte Austrian Heresy"
(08-07-2009, 02:39 PM)glgas Wrote: [ -> ]

laszlo

From what I read China is going to have a more severe demographic crisis than we are.  Also, did you read what the Indian plan to reduce rural population growth is.... expand electricity in rural areas so people can watch tv.  Also sooner or later, the population imbalance that they have more males than females is going to have potentially more problems.
(08-07-2009, 03:11 PM)Belloc Wrote: [ -> ]

Woods has attacked Catholic teaching of 100+ yrs...dropped after V2, which Woods attacks........do a search of him from my posts, will be revealing, he is in opposition to Catholic Social Teaching and guilty of the same cafeteria mentality he attacks.......maybe it is the paycheck, or residuals from his pre-Catholic days.........but, all I will say on that as I am apparently guilty of posting too often and too much......tempted as I am to see what enraptured excitment some others here (also outside CST) may say about the saintly libertarian Woods, I will try to resist.....again, check my posts, esp "Can Mises be Baptized" and posts about D_________ and Woods in particular....also see "refuting hte Austrian Heresy"
Except for the fact that you lost those arguments.
(08-07-2009, 04:56 PM)Anastasia Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-07-2009, 03:11 PM)Belloc Wrote: [ -> ]

Except for the fact that you lost those arguments.

Yes, right.  It can't be that it's a "heresy" unless you believe in a system that hasn't worked anywhere.
Actually, Belloc, I was hoping that you would respond!   :laughing:  By posting this, I did not intend to give the appearance that I necessarily agree with Dr. Woods on this issue.  (I must say, though, when he isn't focusing primarily on economics, I very much enjoy his works, e.g., How the Catholic Church Built Western Civilization and The Great Facade.)

Anyway, I'm still working through the libertarian (von Mises, Rothbard, and Rockwell variety) versus distributism issue, and I tend to find the comments on this forum helpful (or, if not helpful, at least amusing).

Pages: 1 2