FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Mark Shea
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Has anyone read anything by him in depth?  Has anyone read, or does anyone know, if his trilogy on our Blessed Mother is any good?  I saw him on the Journey Home thing on EWTN tonight, and rather liked him, a little anyway.  Thanks for the input.
He's inimical to the TLM and condescending to Trads. He's one of those who believes the Faith started post VII and is evolving with his input after he converted. Careful.
(08-16-2009, 10:28 AM)Heinrich Wrote: [ -> ]He's inimical to the TLM and condescending to Trads. He's one of those who believes the Faith started post VII and is evolving with his input after he converted. Careful.

Agreed. He also has a lackadaisical attitude towards liturgical abuses, among other things.

http://athanasiuscm.blogspot.com/2008/08...lling.html
I am going to have to agree with everyone here.  He is very hostile toward the Traditional Mass and everyone who attends.  Some of his theology is very shaky.  Once and a while he says some good stuff, but there are MORE than enough sources that say better things.  He is the last of the group of Protestant convert theologians that I would go to.
(08-16-2009, 10:28 AM)Heinrich Wrote: [ -> ]He's inimical to the TLM and condescending to Trads. He's one of those who believes the Faith started post VII and is evolving with his input after he converted. Careful.

Haha.  Such a sad thing put in such a funny way.
He seems quite solidly orthodox to me, though somewhat insensitive to matters liturgical.

As he says on his website:

"I am gratified that the long-awaited motu proprio from Pope Benedict, urging a wider celebration of the Tridentine Rite, is out. I’m happy for those, including my son, who love to worship in that way. More power to ‘em. Some of the loveliest Catholics I know are devotees of the Tridentine rite.

That said, I’m not personally excited by the news of the motu proprio since it doesn’t especially affect me. I attend a Paul VI Mass that is reverently celebrated by the Dominicans of Blessed Sacrament parish in Seattle. My attitude toward liturgy is "Just give me my lines and my blocking." I then endeavor to learn and forget about them in precisely the same way I endeavor to break in my shoes. The point of shoes is not to notice them, but to walk in them. Shoes you constantly notice are Bad Shoes. Liturgy you focus on is liturgy that's not doing its job, which is to refer us to God, not to itself.

Now there are two basic reasons people focus on liturgy instead of God, just as there are two reasons a person will focus on his shoes.

The first reason is that the shoes hurt. Lord knows that in a time of widespread liturgical abuse, people have been hurt by badly celebrated liturgy and I empathize with those who have."

And so on.
It should be noted that his interest is not liturgical, but rather apologetical.  He is a good apologist and when he stays with apologetics, he is among the best.  Not everyone who defends the faith is a trad.
(08-16-2009, 06:12 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]It should be noted that his interest is not liturgical, but rather apologetical.  He is a good apologist and when he stays with apologetics, he is among the best.  Not everyone who defends the faith is a trad.

But every Catholic who defends the Faith absolutely should be.
(08-16-2009, 06:22 PM)CatholicThurifer Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-16-2009, 06:12 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]It should be noted that his interest is not liturgical, but rather apologetical.  He is a good apologist and when he stays with apologetics, he is among the best.  Not everyone who defends the faith is a trad.

As a matter of rhetoric, I agree.  But that is not the point of his work.
(08-16-2009, 06:43 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-16-2009, 06:22 PM)CatholicThurifer Wrote: [ -> ]

As a matter of rhetoric, I agree.  But that is not the point of his work.

Right.  As a Catholic I should be an apologist, but I hate it, I avoid it, etc.  At some point we need to kind of concentrate on something or we'll be a Jack of all things Catholic, and a master (i.e., well-informed) of none.  But I agree it would be better if he stuck to the apologetics where his interest lies and his time is spent.
Pages: 1 2 3