FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Vatican publishes DVDs to promote Latin Mass
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/new.php?n=16828

DVDs published to help the faithful learn the 1962 Latin Mass

Rome, Italy, Aug 12, 2009 / 04:03 pm (CNA).- The Pontifical Commission Ecclesia Dei, which was recently incorporated into the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, has announced the publication of two DVDs to help “priests and the community” celebrate Mass according to the extraordinary form of the Latin Rite.

The two DVDs include an entire Mass celebrated by Cardinal Dario Castrillon Hoyos—until recently the president of the Commission—at the Basilica of St. Mary Major in 2003.

The discs also feature segments explaining in detail the “gestures and rubrics, from the preparatio ad missam (preparation before Mass) to the act of thanksgiving in the sacristy.”

The video is available in four languages (Italian, English, Spanish and French) and is intended to be the “first concrete contribution of the Holy See for the implementation of the Pope’s wishes contained in Summorum Pontificum.” The Motu Propio “Summorum Pontificum,” which was released in July of 2007 by Pope Benedict XVI, granted universal permission to the faithful to celebrate the Tridentine Mass adapted by Blessed John XXIII in 1962.

The Commission has not yet announced where or how the DVDs can be purchased.
That is great. I know such videos are available from the FSSP (and others, probably), but this is good.
This is a good news, but I am afraid if it will make any impact on some parts of the world where even the Moto proprio is not known!
Why was it easy to change everything overnight in 1969!
If the church really want to return to traditional, it must get rid of NO altogether! Otherwise we will be riding on two horses! And most likely the church will split!
(08-19-2009, 05:28 AM)pbmsemwa Wrote: [ -> ]This is a good news, but I am afraid if it will make any impact on some parts of the world where even the Moto proprio is not known!
If the church really want to return to traditional, it must get rid of NO altogether! Otherwise we will be riding on two horses! And most likely the church will split!

If tomorrow the Pope were to get rid of the NO there would be total and absolute chaos. 95% of the worlds Catholic lay, priests, and bishops would either be unwilling or unable to say the TLM. You would have revolution and schism, plus you would be unable to attend any kind of mass because most priests would have to spend months retraining in the old rite. No, the NO is here for the foreseeable future no matter HOW traditional the next Pope is!
It has quite a big symbolic value that this is something coming right from the Vatican. The article on Rorate Cæli provides a way to buy it. 
(08-19-2009, 05:28 AM)pbmsemwa Wrote: [ -> ]This is a good news, but I am afraid if it will make any impact on some parts of the world where even the Moto proprio is not known!
Then it's your job to make it known.
(08-19-2009, 05:51 AM)SinfullyLate Wrote: [ -> ]

If tomorrow the Pope were to get rid of the NO there would be total and absolute chaos. 95% of the worlds Catholic lay, priests, and bishops would either be unwilling or unable to say the TLM. You would have revolution and schism, plus you would be unable to attend any kind of mass because most priests would have to spend months retraining in the old rite. No, the NO is here for the foreseeable future no matter HOW traditional the next Pope is!

Wow, great post.
But what you just described is an extremely accurate description of the late 60s through the 80s when they replaced the TLM with the NO.

My guess is that there would be a whole lot less chaos if they reversed that whole revolution......could just be my wishful thinking.

Either way, it's certainly great news.............but don't be too surprised to find that many of us who lived through the revolution a bit skeptical.

The new priests at the nearest NO parish to me are both young and highly interested in the TLM.  We saw one at the local Latin mass recently and the other has expressed a desire to go.  I think that the younger priests may be more open to the possibility than you think.  The problem really is the older priests who were responsible for the experimentation of the 60-80s.  I think they may feel that a return to the TLM is a direct criticism of their actions and thus be unwilling to try.  Pretty to think, though, that they would want to serve God more so than their own egos.  :pray2:
pbmsemwa Wrote:Why was it easy to change everything overnight in 1969!

That's an oversimplification, to put it mildly. The liturgy was being tinkered with well before 1969. One could argue Pope S. Pius X kicked it off in 1911 with his reworking of the Office. Now whether the changes of 1911, 1955, 1962 or 1969 were good or bad is another story ...

Quote:If the church really want to return to traditional, it must get rid of NO altogether!

That would be a recipe for disaster. We're just now coming out of a time of extreme liturgical upset, to switch to the 1962 "traditional" liturgy overnight would be suicide. It would engender the same feeling of change and rupture which the happened 40 years ago.

Quote:Otherwise we will be riding on two horses!

Besides 23 Rites overall, the Church has zillions of usages. This is nothing new.

Quote:And most likely the church will split!

From anecdotal evidence from televised Masses and celebrations of the Office to real-life experiences of the same, it does look like the Latin Mass is indeed enriching the Novus Ordo - just as the pope hoped. Whether this will continue remains to be seen, but if an open split was going to happen it would had happened in 2007.
(08-19-2009, 07:12 AM)Stubborn Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-19-2009, 05:51 AM)SinfullyLate Wrote: [ -> ]

Wow, great post.
But what you just described is an extremely accurate description of the late 60s through the 80s when they replaced the TLM with the NO.

My guess is that there would be a whole lot less chaos if they reversed that whole revolution......could just be my wishful thinking.

Either way, it's certainly great news.............but don't be too surprised to find that many of us who lived through the revolution a bit skeptical.

I'm afraid it would be more chaotic to switch the whole Church back to the traditional form than it was to switch it to the Novus Ordo in 1969.  The reason why is because when we went from Tridentine to NO, we went from a highly regulated and ordered rite to a de-regulated, less orderly rite.  Going from less order to greater order is obviously going to take a lot more work.  It's a simple law of nature: entropy.  Things more easily tend toward chaos than they tend toward order.
Pages: 1 2