FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Alexander V and Jan Hus
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
From "131 Christians Everyone Should Know" -- "Alexander was soon "persuaded" -that is, bribed - to side with Bohemian church authorities against Hus, who continued to criticize them. Hus was forbidden to preach and excommunicated, but only on paper: with local Bohemians backing him, Hus continued to preach and minister at Bethlehem Chapel."  Can anyone help me out? What's the real deal here? BTW, I strongly suspect this book is anti-Catholic, I was clued in by the subtitle to the chapter on Henry VIII --"Defender of the Faith" ::)
(08-21-2009, 10:26 PM)kimbaichan Wrote: [ -> ]From "131 Christians Everyone Should Know" -- "Alexander was soon "persuaded" -that is, bribed - to side with Bohemian church authorities against Hus, who continued to criticize them. Hus was forbidden to preach and excommunicated, but only on paper: with local Bohemians backing him, Hus continued to preach and minister at Bethlehem Chapel."  Can anyone help me out? What's the real deal here? BTW, I strongly suspect this book is anti-Catholic, I was clued in by the subtitle to the chapter on Henry VIII --"Defender of the Faith" ::)

Even if the Pope was bribed to excommunicated Hus, I'm glad that he did it. Jan Hus was a notorious heretic who completely deserved what he got at Constance.
(08-21-2009, 10:26 PM)kimbaichan Wrote: [ -> ]BTW, I strongly suspect this book is anti-Catholic, I was clued in by the subtitle to the chapter on Henry VIII --"Defender of the Faith" ::)

Might very well be, but Henry was granted the title Fidei Defensor by Pope Leo X in honour of his having written 'Defence of the Seven Sacraments' against Luther's heresies. Of course, Pope Paul III revoked it when Henry went into schism and it was 'regranted' by Parliament.
Oh yeah, it's mentioned. It made me laugh, though. When I read the name Henry VIII the words "Defender of the Faith"  just don't spring to mind.
Hus was brought before the inquistion 8 times, and each time he said that he would give up his heresy of pre-destination.  The last time he admitted that he could not, and that was when he was executed.

Then there was his right hand (hench) man, Jerome of Prague.  This guy once got into an argument with a monk about Hus and predestination.  Jerome got so flustered by the monk's reasoning that he physically assualted him and shoved the monk into a puddle of mud.

Jerome was eventually apprehended and tried for many things.  He was so wild that they had to tie him to the stake with chains when they burned him.

Boy, the wikipedia article on him is full of lies.  Probably written by a Prot.  My source was a history book I found at my University library that was written in the 1800's, my times have changed.
:o-ing!
:pray: