FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: I am new to the forum and NEED some advice.....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
OK, I am officially a protestant and researching different religions to find the right one for me.  I just copied what I put on the "Orthodox Christianity forum"

I have a problem!  this might not be the right subject to post under, but, it is a part of my conversion story.  In studying religions, I have come to Catholicism about 3 times, 2 of which, I was convinsed I wanted to "be catholic". 

well, as I posted above, I went to an Orthodox church and I LOVE IT!  but, I can't help but feel some deep connection to the Roman Catholic church.  for example:

while I was supposed to be changing out of my school uniform, I fell asleep (as I often do)  I slept for 4 hours!  I drempt a devil-worshipper trapped me in a basement and did some sort of ritual, but, I excaped before he could sacrefise me.  I ran to different houses, but he followed me.  finally I came to a Catholic church :pray:, and I FELT SUCH COMFORT!  I saw a nun and ran to her and gave her a big hug.  in my dream, the satanist could not enter the church.

I don't know why I didn't dream about an Orthodox church!  I thought Catholicism was behind me, but I still have some psychological "feelings" for it.  this changes my feelings about wanting to convert to orthodoxy.  I don't know if my conviction is "true and pure" with feelings for the Catholic church.

any advice? ???
I recommend you talk to a priest in the Church.

The Orthodox retains many traditions of the Church, but they unfortunately reject certain dogmas which are inconvenient to them, and further more, are full of pride (in their leaders) and also allow and "bless" violations of God's law. People can divorce and remarry with them.

Come to God's Church, who has all the traditions and the seat of Peter occupied.

Obviously, the Orthodox will give you their ideas, like any other, but only God's will is important.

Do not let Satan's assault on the Church turn you away. http://rosary.freehostia.com/index.php?p=articles&article=church

Welcome to the forum, and hopefull, the Church :)
Welcome to the forum, Trevor.  I'll second what Rosarium posted.
I third.
Funny thing is you'll have to be careful which priest..I know that sounds like a lot of work but there is confusion...to circumvent this find an FSSP or SSPX or even an SSPV, or ICK priest to talk to.

The best thing to do is post your city and see if anyone here knows such a priest nearby.  If that doers not work I will see if I can find one for you if you PM me.
First, if you are attracted to "Orthodoxy", which one?  Russian, Greek, Romanian?  See, it's not universal.  That being said, first try a Traditional Latin Mass.  Look for something by the FSSP or SSPX.

If you are attracted to the Eastern Liturgy (Orthodoxy), then go to a Catholic Eastern Rite Mass, which has the same Liturgy, but is part of the world wide Universal Catholic Church.  So you can have the Eastern Rite you admire, yet be part of the Universal Catholic Church.  I don't know much about the Eastern Rites, but I think you would want Melkite or Ukrainian Rite.  There are also the Syriac and Coptic rites.  Others can give you more info.

But maybe it is the fact that you are coming from Protestantism, and are discovering LITURGY, that is, perfect worship and homage to God.  A REAL personal RELATIONSHIP with Jesus Christ, not just empty words.  In that case, I assure you the Latin Rite (FSSP or SSPX) will fill your need, and it is more wide spread.

Welcome to Bible based religion.
Just one word of advice, don't pick a religion that is right for you, pick one that is right - use your ability to reason and try and avoid simple prejudice.

If people didn't have so many prejudices against the Church and they were able to simply use their reason when considering the claims of the Church, there would certainly be many more Catholics.
I'll have a dip...  ;D

Trevor, you wrote this pretty much on the feast of St Augustine. Good timing!

The Catholic calling is often felt by someone loving an experience at a Church (the orthodox are stilll catholic), "feeling a deep connection" in some mysterious way, having dreams of peace and protection (I love the running to a nun and hugging her!)... I'm guessing that these kinds of things are all happening in your soul, deep down somewhere inside you, underneath the surface of whatever is happening in your life, maybe because God is calling you to the true faith.

St Augustine, who also considered many religions, would tell you that the concrete reality of learning and living the Catholic faith will be challenging, and will involve suffering and sacrifice, but will also give you peace and strength. "Our hearts are restless until they rest in you", he said, and he didn't just mean Jesus, as if He was just a friend or something, he meant the Catholic Church. As part of his journey to the Catholic faith, St Augustine learned that sin is a reality that only the Catholic faith knows and teaches wisely and deeply about, and that sin is what keeps us away from God and from ourselves. If any of us want to share in God's life, living in His grace, we'll have to learn, from the wisdom of the Church and from good practising Catholics like Augustine's mother Monica, what sin is, and we'll have to seriously try to reconcile and avoid it . When you feel how deeply sin affects yourself personally and the Body of Christ as a whole, you'll also see how great Christ's mercy is, and how beautiful the sacraments are. Especially the sacraments of the Eucharist and Confession, which you won't find outside of Catholicism.

Being a practising Catholic is only partly about "feelings". Because it is the true faith, the real sharing of Christ's life, all those bits of scripture where Christ challenges people to go above and beyond their natural  human limits are important to think and pray about. So are the bits when He promises us peace, joy and all of the fruits and gifts of the Holy Spirit that come from being part of His Church.  

And a healthy respect for the Pope won't hurt either.  ;D
There was a French writer in the end of the 19th Century (Huysmans). I suppose he was born Catholic but left the Church and wrote mostly erotic novels. He got some visions to be attracted to the Church again. After that for years he entered the Church and sat there for a time. No detailed purpose, only let his mind rest and wanting to listen to God. 

1 Kings 3:10  And the Lord came and stood: and he called, as he had called the other times: Samuel, Samuel. And Samuel said: Speak, Lord, for thy servant heareth.

He converted and wrote a novel about his conversion (En Route)
http://homepage.mac.com/brendanking/huys...uteng1.htm

see also the Wikipedia external references for the La Cathedrale and L'Oblat
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joris-Karl_...rnal_links

(08-28-2009, 11:20 PM)trevor72694 Wrote: [ -> ]OK, I am officially a protestant and researching different religions to find the right one for me.  I just copied what I put on the "Orthodox Christianity forum"

I have a problem!  this might not be the right subject to post under, but, it is a part of my conversion story.  In studying religions, I have come to Catholicism about 3 times, 2 of which, I was convinsed I wanted to "be catholic". 

well, as I posted above, I went to an Orthodox church and I LOVE IT!  but, I can't help but feel some deep connection to the Roman Catholic church.  for example:

while I was supposed to be changing out of my school uniform, I fell asleep (as I often do)  I slept for 4 hours!  I drempt a devil-worshipper trapped me in a basement and did some sort of ritual, but, I excaped before he could sacrefise me.  I ran to different houses, but he followed me.  finally I came to a Catholic church :pray:, and I FELT SUCH COMFORT!  I saw a nun and ran to her and gave her a big hug.  in my dream, the satanist could not enter the church.

I don't know why I didn't dream about an Orthodox church!  I thought Catholicism was behind me, but I still have some psychological "feelings" for it.  this changes my feelings about wanting to convert to orthodoxy.  I don't know if my conviction is "true and pure" with feelings for the Catholic church.

any advice? ???
(08-28-2009, 11:55 PM)Scipio_a Wrote: [ -> ]Funny thing is you'll have to be careful which priest..I know that sounds like a lot of work but there is confusion...to circumvent this find an FSSP or SSPX or even an SSPV, or ICK priest to talk to.

The best thing to do is post your city and see if anyone here knows such a priest nearby.  If that doers not work I will see if I can find one for you if you PM me.

I second this, Trevor. Find a priest who is of a traditional order. He will be able to guide you in the right path and answer your tough questions about the One, True Faith with pure Charity and an encyclopedic knowledge of history, philosophy, etc.  I make an intention for you at Mass this morning. Welcome to the forum and do not be afraid to ask even the most rudimentary questions about the Faith.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8