FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Job
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Does anyone know of any good commentaries on Job? I am going through some physical suffering which at times makes me wonder if I will make it .

Please pray for me.

Pax Christi
:pray:
:pray:
I am sorry for your troubles and wish I could offer more than this:

http://www.scepterpublishers.org/product...p?FULL=288

I have not had much exposure to The Navarre Bible, but others I know have and swear by the commentaries. 
(08-31-2009, 10:27 PM)tarpeian Wrote: [ -> ]Does anyone know of any good commentaries on Job? I am going through some physical suffering which at times makes me wonder if I will make it .

Please pray for me.

Pax Christi

I know of no specific commentaries, but my favourite and most read chapter in the Bible is Luke 12.

Luke 12:4-5 Wrote:And I say to you, my friends: Be not afraid of them who kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do. But I will shew you whom you shall fear: fear ye him, who after he hath killed, hath power to cast into hell. Yea, I say to you, fear him.

Physical trials can be hard on everyone, but with prayer and devotion, one can triumph in ways not otherwise possible.
(08-31-2009, 10:27 PM)tarpeian Wrote: [ -> ]Does anyone know of any good commentaries on Job? I am going through some physical suffering which at times makes me wonder if I will make it .

Please pray for me.

Pax Christi

Chesterton's Essay  "An Introduction to the book of Job"  is absolutely essential reading. 

http://chesterton.org/gkc/theologian/job.htm
:pray: :pray: :pray:
prayers for you
I am so grateful for all the prayers! Is the Chesterton commentary just an introduction? It does not seem to be a commentary on Job.

God Bless
A little humor for a moment's ease in your tough situation.  From Chesterton's Introduction to the Book of Job:

Quote:Many people have maintained the characteristic formula of modern skepticism, that Homer was not written by Homer, but by another person of the same name. Just in the same way many have maintained that Moses was not Moses but another person called Moses.

I keep reading that.  Several times now.  Cracks me up every time.
Pages: 1 2