FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: The End Times
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
As a former protestant I know much about their version of the "rapture". But what exactly is the church's stance on the day of final judgement or do we believe in rapture at all? As far as Ive researched the Catholic Church's stance on rapture is completely different. Any insight?
The rapture as I understand is a novel, protestant idea originating in the 19th century, it is quite unscriptural as the verse they use to support it is out of context in my opinion.  Also there are no references among the Church Fathers to support such a notion.
http://www.audiosancto.org/search.php

Audio here might help, on search type in "end times."
(09-03-2009, 11:13 AM)SanctiDominici Wrote: [ -> ]As a former protestant I know much about their version of the "rapture". But what exactly is the church's stance on the day of final judgement or do we believe in rapture at all? As far as Ive researched the Catholic Church's stance on rapture is completely different. Any insight?

The Catholic faith is the

1 Thess 4:15 For the Lord himself shall come down from heaven with commandment, and with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God: and the dead who are in Christ, shall rise first. 16 Then we who are alive, who are left, shall be taken up together with them in the clouds to meet Christ, into the air, and so shall we be always with the Lord. 17 Wherefore, comfort ye one another with these words.

and Matt 24:31 And he shall send his angels with a trumpet, and a great voice: and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from the farthest parts of the heavens to the utmost bounds of them. ...

preceded by tribulations and followed immediately by

Matt 25:31 And when the Son of man shall come in his majesty, and all the angels with him, then shall he sit upon the seat of his majesty. 32 And all nations shall be gathered together before him, and he shall separate them one from another, as the shepherd separateth the sheep from the goats:

are the same unique event.

Protestants  suggest that first the chosen ones are caught up to be saved them from the tribulations, then come the tribulations and then the last judgment.
We Catholics believe that we deserve the tribulations, although at the pre-image of the tribulations (the destruction of Jerusalem) warned by the Gospels the Christians fled to Pella before the Roman invasion.
We believe that the event described by St. Paul is going to occur, i.e. we shall all  be changed "in the twinkling of an eye." Where we part company with Pentacostals/Evangelicals/Fundamentalists is when[b][/b] it's going to happen. The Catholic Church teaches this will happen after the time of Antichrist and at the time of the Second Coming, whereas the aforementioned groups believe it's going to happen before the reign of Antichrist. That's it in a nutshell.
(09-03-2009, 12:47 PM)CrusaderKing Wrote: [ -> ]Where we part company with Pentacostals/Evangelicals/Fundamentalists

Along with the Orthodox and most mainline prots who also reject the rapture. In fact, it is a very new novelty introduced by John Nelson Darby, the 'father of modern dispensationalism', in 1827.
sorry, I accidently erased my lengthy post - I don't feel like writing it again at this moment  :doh:
"Will Catholics Be Left Behind?" by Carl Olsen covers how the Rapture is novel, with no basis in either Scripture or Tradition.
(09-03-2009, 11:13 AM)SanctiDominici Wrote: [ -> ]As a former protestant I know much about their version of the "rapture". But what exactly is the church's stance on the day of final judgement or do we believe in rapture at all? As far as Ive researched the Catholic Church's stance on rapture is completely different. Any insight?

http://www.3daysofdarkness.com/

The most spectacular aspect of the Act of God will be the three days of darkness over the whole earth. The Three Days have been announced by many mystics, viz., Bl. Anna-Maria Taigi, Padre Pio, Elizabeth Canori-Mora, Rosa-Colomba Asdente, Palma d'Oria, in Italy; Father Nectou, in Belgium; St. Hildegard, in Germany; Pere Lamy, Marie Baourdi, Marie Martel, Marie-Julie Jahenny, in France. (This list is not exhaustive; many more mystics have announced the Three Days.)

Padre Pio and other Catholics eminent for sanctity, have for centuries prophesied the dreadful coming chastisement of the
Three Days of Darkness; where at least half to three quarters of the world's population will be killed by God's Just Wrath.

As far as I know, the Church has never made a pronouncement about the Three Days of Darkness and most Catholics have never heard of these prophecies.  We can believe these private revelations or not, like any other private revelations.  There's certainly nothing wrong with hanging crucifixes over your doors or keeping blessed candles on hand but prayer will be the main protection should the three days come to pass.  Prayer is always essential.
Pages: 1 2 3