FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: French Catholic Poetry?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can anybody recommend particular volumes of French Catholic poetry?  I am specifically looking for Catholic poetry with emotional fervor and beauty -- it is to be a gift to a non-Catholic who once considered conversion but has abandoned the idea (even while being attracted to the aesthetic).  I do not read or speak a word of French myself, but nevertheless I am looking for the poetry to be read in the original French. 
I've heard good things about Paul Claudel, but my French is unfortunately insufficient to properly appreciate good poetry.
(09-03-2009, 11:31 PM)Cyriacus Wrote: [ -> ]I've heard good things about Paul Claudel, but my French is unfortunately insufficient to properly appreciate good poetry.

I had Claudel in mind, and wondered if Joris-Karl Huysmans wrote any poetry.  Paul Verlaine maybe, but only some from his Catholic years would be appropriate, and I don't know him well enough to pick and choose myself. 
(09-04-2009, 12:26 AM)Miquelot Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-03-2009, 11:31 PM)Cyriacus Wrote: [ -> ]I've heard good things about Paul Claudel, but my French is unfortunately insufficient to properly appreciate good poetry.

I had Claudel in mind, and wondered if Joris-Karl Huysmans wrote any poetry.  Paul Verlaine maybe, but only some from his Catholic years would be appropriate, and I don't know him well enough to pick and choose myself. 

When I was young and fresh I memorized several poems of Claudel in Hungarian translation, there are deeply Catholic. Also from Claudel the Satin Slippers  a play, is available in English translations.

As for Huysmans he converted in 1895, I do not think that anything he wrote before that time is considered Catholic.
Perhaps something by Charles Péguy?