FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Kennedy Letter to the Pope
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

I don't know if I missed this on FE, but I came across a story that indicated that Cardinal McCarrick, who handled the "honors" of the burial at Arlington Cemetery.  He read excerpts of this letter at graveside. 

"Most Holy Father, I asked President Obama to personally hand deliver this letter to you. As a man of deep faith himself, he understands how important my Roman Catholic faith is to me, and I am deeply grateful to him.

"I hope this letter finds you in good health. I pray that you have all of God’s blessings as you lead our Church and inspire our world during these challenging times.

"I am writing with deep humility to ask that you pray for me as my own health declines. I was diagnosed with brain cancer more than a year ago, and, although I continue treatment, the disease is taking its toll on me. I am 77 years old and preparing for the next passage of life.

"I have been blessed to be a part of a wonderful family, and both of my parents, particularly my mother, kept our Catholic faith at the center of our lives. That gift of faith has sustained, nurtured and provided solace to me in the darkest hours. I know that I have been an imperfect human being, but with the help of my faith, I have tried to right my path.

"I want you to know, Your Holiness, that in my nearly 50 years of elective office, I have done my best to champion the rights of the poor and open doors of economic opportunity. I’ve worked to welcome the immigrant, fight discrimination and expand access to health care and education. I have opposed the death penalty and fought to end war. Those are the issues that have motivated me and been the focus of my work as a United States Senator.

"I also want you to know that even though I am ill, I am committed to do everything I can to achieve access to health care for everyone in my country. This has been the political cause of my life. I believe in a conscience protection for Catholics in the health care field and will continue to advocate for it as my colleagues in the Senate and I work to develop an overall national health policy that guarantees health care for everyone.

"I have always tried to be a faithful Catholic, Your Holiness, and though I have fallen short through human failings, I have never failed to believe and respect the fundamental teachings. I continue to pray for God’s blessings on you and our Church and would be most thankful for your prayers for me."

I want to be nice and charitable, but takes a lot of chutzpah to (a) send the pope a letter with the president as your carrier pigeon; (b) make the letter public, and © to say some of these things he says in this letter to the Holy Father.  The bolded sections are misleading and probably false.

The part in red, to me, is how Kennedy saw it, but these are all prudential matters, and a person on the opposite side of Kennedy on every piece of legislation dealing with these issues, could say, in essence or other words, the very same thing, perhaps with more of a right in terms of the actual effect of their actions.  In other words, I think his actions might have had contrary effects to those he claimed he was seeking.  I think, eg, he helped INCREASE crime, not lessen it.  I think he helped make this an increasingly litigious society and probably increased racial animosity.  I also don't think Kennedy has ANY basis to argue that he did a good job at preserving the peace; his opposition to war had far less effect, perhaps a contrary effect, than did Reagan's actions; in fact, Reagan's actions had much more of an positive effect on preserving the peace than Kennedy's undermining of US defense and his appeasements of the communists.  So I love how he points to his actions on these prudential matters as reasons why he was a good Catholic.

At bottom, though, the part in red is a shameless attempt at self-vindication by one who knows he was at war with the Church -- not just on abortion, but on stem cell, marriage, judges, the consceince clause, to name a prominent few.  Imagine what it would take to write a letter to the Holy Father telling him how good you have been!  I see a guy who was very, very afraid, and yet, as far as we know, stubborn to the end regarding his immeasurably significant and evil role in the slaughter of the unborn.  Maybe at the very end he repented those actions -- I hope so -- but with or without that, nothing justifies the publication and exploitation of this self-glorifying letter.   

ps-- the Cardinal's use of the letter at the burial, like his presence there, was also reprehensible.

I don't know what to say...

I agree with everything that you wrote...

...all of it.

It seems that even at the end when he was on his hands and knees desperately trying to clean up the huge mess that he made - the mess just got bigger and bigger as he cleaned - 

he looked up and told anyone willing to listen that his hands were dirty because he was a flawed yet righteous man.

This is so tragic on every count.

:(

:pray2:
(09-04-2009, 11:15 AM)epalinurus Wrote: [ -> ]At bottom, though, the part in red is a shameless attempt at self-vindication

That's what I see too. He is scared. He wants people (and the pope) to focus on the good he has done and to ignore the bad. He wants the Pope's blessing before he dies and he wants it to be made public. The Pope's return letter came from a Vatican representative which simply expressed regrets and sorrow for his cancer and promised to pray for the man.

- Lisa
From what I see, the Holy Father is giving a very general, generic, "I will pray for you" type of reply. Kennedy's letter is self indicting, revaling just what a *cafeteria catholic* he was. Not a word expressing sorrow for his public sins of  support for abortion (100% approval rating from NARAL) nor expressing any regret for his support of homosexuality or gay marriage. Have you ever seen the sermon of St Leonard of Port Maurice on the numbers of the fewness of the saved?

If the just man shall scarcely be saved, where shall rthe ungodly sinner appear? (1 St Peter 4:18)
Scarcely anyone is saved. (St Alphonsus Ligouri)
There are a elect few who are saved (St Thomas Aquinas)
How narrow is the gate and straight the way that leads to life, and so few that find it (St Matthew 7:13-14)

Kennedy seemed to be a proud arrogrant man, known as a drunkard, and no public renouncement of very high profile public sins.

I hope the Holy Fathers prayers were effective for a last minute repentence. I noticed neither his son nor nephew asked for prayers at the Mass. How arrogrant! He's a Kennedy! He's above the law! I hope in some future apparation his fate will be revealed.
Quote:I have opposed the death penalty

Really?  What about the death penalty imposed on the innocent children, that have died due to abortion?

The Kennedy boyz should have listened more to their mother than to their father, who cheated on Rose throughout their marriage.

I read an article yesterday about some of Teddy's disgusting drunken exploits -- and Chris Dodd, another "Catholic" -- was involved in many.  It quoted Ted as saying Old Joe told me "If you see a piece of cake on a plate, take it, eat it."  He certainly followed that advice, as did JFK and RFK.
There is not much any of can do but to offer a prayer for his miserable rotten soul. Forgive me Father for being judgemental.
(09-04-2009, 11:15 AM)epalinurus Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know if I missed this on FE, but I came across a story that indicated that Cardinal McCarrick, who handled the "honors" of the burial at Arlington Cemetery.   He read excerpts of this letter at graveside. 

"Most Holy Father, I asked President Obama to personally hand deliver this letter to you. As a man of deep faith himself, he understands how important my Roman Catholic faith is to me, and I am deeply grateful to him.

"I hope this letter finds you in good health. I pray that you have all of God’s blessings as you lead our Church and inspire our world during these challenging times.

"I am writing with deep humility to ask that you pray for me as my own health declines. I was diagnosed with brain cancer more than a year ago, and, although I continue treatment, the disease is taking its toll on me. I am 77 years old and preparing for the next passage of life.

"I have been blessed to be a part of a wonderful family, and both of my parents, particularly my mother, kept our Catholic faith at the center of our lives...

Ted's Dad Joe, was a notorious womanizer, tax cheat and swindler..To claim that he "kept the Catholic faith" is [i]seriously delusional...
(09-04-2009, 11:15 AM)epalinurus Wrote: [ -> ]"I have always tried to be a faithful Catholic, Your Holiness, and though I have fallen short through human failings, I have never failed to believe and respect the fundamental teachings. I continue to pray for God’s blessings on you and our Church and would be most thankful for your prayers for me."[/i]

I had hoped that he had repented, but if as he lay dying, he was capable of such a bald lie, I doubt it very much!
Leave it to McCarrick (aka Cardinal McClarify, as he was always "clarifying" remarks he made when Cardinal of D.C.) to be involved in something like this. He has a history that is nothing to be proud of when it comes to the delivery of letters from someone whose last name was/is Ratzinger.

You'd have thought by now he'd retire into the sunset and stay out of the public eye and spare himself further embarrassment, but nope. 
Pages: 1 2