FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Ugh..."Church in the Round" - ca. 1953!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
I didn't even know such things existed.  This has no basis in tradition does it?  It must be the first inklings of liberalism really starting to leak into the Church.
This is surprisingly common in NO churches nowadays. It creates 'interesting' confusion for weddings, etc. Another indicator this layout wasn't all that well thought out...anyway...

The Cathedral in LA is more or less oriented like this, it's trying to hide it, but a sizable population end up sitting behind the non-orientem celebrant.

Strange to see such a modernistic church in 1953, but the pews and altar furnishings are traditional and a free-standing altar with baldacchino is also as traditional as having the high altar built against the back of the apse.  This baldacchino is not exactly on a par with the one Bernini designed for the altar of St. Peter's Basilica, though; it has a sort of industrial look about it.  I'm sure they had budgetary constraints that the Vatican didn't.

Photo of baldacchino over main altar of St. Peter's:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Interiorvaticano8.jpg

I am mystified by the short column behind the altar.  It looks like a column that would be set in a garden with a sundial or gazing ball on top but I can't figure out what that could be on top of it.  I hope somebody here can identify it.

I think the "column" might support the sanctuary lamp.
(09-06-2009, 05:06 AM)Lee Timmer Wrote: [ -> ]I think the "column" might support the sanctuary lamp.

That occurred to me but it doesn't look like a lamp, IMO. 
notice none of the women are wearing chapel veils.

(09-06-2009, 07:08 AM)timjp77 Wrote: [ -> ]notice none of the women are wearing chapel veils.

None. Everybody wore hats. . at least in the USA.

Nothing screams "neo trad" more than a mantilla.
The Catholic chapel in our campus (University of the Philippines), built in 1955, is also round.

[Image: Holy_sacrifice_exterior.jpg]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parish_of_t..._Sacrifice
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8