FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Prayer. Titanic versus WTC on 911
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I watched "102 minutes that changed the world" last night on TV a documentary made up exclusively of amateur and semi-amateur unedited clips in chronological order taken between 08.40 and 10:25 on the morning of Sep 11th.  One thing I noticed about the people standing around is that nobody was praying.  A lot of "oh my God" and JC uttered (though I have to say that the Americans are a lot better about not blaspeming the Holy Name than the British or Irish) but none of it said in the manner of prayer.  I did see one woman making the sign of the cross in a thoughtful way, but no evidence that she was praying other than this act.

On the Titanic I believe that there was a priest who lead a large group of people saying the Rosary.

Obviously we don't know what went on inside the buildings above the point of impact so it is not exactly the same as the Titanic.  Are there any concrete examples from 911 of people praying ?  Were any Rosaries, Bibles or other such things found in the rubble?

I know of one using Google.  Lieutenant Daniel O’Callaghan (Fire Dept) was found clutching a Rosary.

I was at the Windows on the World conference on the 102nd floor exactly one year before.  A client paid me to man their stand over two days in the year 2000.
If one went back in time, I'm sure that the sinking of the Titanic would be witness to as many exclamations 9/11 (mostly from EJ Smith and Tho. Andrews  Smile).

Quote:Are there any concrete examples from 911 of people praying ?

Mychal F. Judge - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mychal_F._Judge

Quote:Were any Rosaries, Bibles or other such things found in the rubble?

Such things do not survive military-grade nano-thermite controlled demolitions very well.
I can't find it now, but one of the Maronite laity on FR had stated their priest was in the city, that day nearby, when it happen and when he rushed outside to see what happen, immediately began to pray for those dieing. A flock of people fleeing saw the priest and ran to him to pray with him. Such things usually don't make the news.
(09-08-2009, 06:34 AM)Credo Wrote: [ -> ]Such things do not survive military-grade nano-thermite controlled demolitions very well.
Do you realise how insane that statement is?

Do you know how much time that would take to prepare and how many months? Do you know how many people who have to be in on the scheme, including people inside the WTC?

http://www.cracked.com/article_15740_was...e-job.html
Either he doesn't think it is insane or you don't get the joke.

Either way, let's stay on topic.  Regardless of who blew the WTC up the fact remains that it was blown up.  Has anyone any evidence of people praying, hearing confessions, etc.

That priest listed above seemed pretty darned mixed-up to me.
I know this isn't prayer but I heard from the news that 95%  first responders that died were Catholics. When you add to this the fact that the Priest at ground zero had to resort to absolving them from their sins en masse, before they went in, and that they layed down their lives for others, I suspect a cloud of martyr's prayers went up to God that day, as incense. A curious aspect is that the Jewish and Protestant first responders asked to have their sins forgiven by him also, the Priest said he could not, but he said he would bless them.

Your observations about the state of Americans souls and the lack of prayer is pretty much the truth, but it is also true the media will not report those scenes of piety. America is not Britain but it's illegitimate offspring. Protestantism was enthroned by the founding fathers knowing that it would metastasize causing division and their eventual victory over the Christian religion. We Catholics here have fallen for it as well and Obama is just the latest iteration. In some small places the Faith hold on but many of us can not tell the difference between the objectives of either party and the Faith and Church Christ founded on Earth.

just my two dirty coppers,
tim
(09-08-2009, 08:58 AM)ggreg Wrote: [ -> ]Either way, let's stay on topic.  Regardless of who blew the WTC up the fact remains that it was blown up.  Has anyone any evidence of people praying, hearing confessions, etc.

I've seen a picture of firefighters praying together in the midst of rubble.
(09-08-2009, 06:13 AM)ggreg Wrote: [ -> ]I watched "102 minutes that changed the world" last night on TV a documentary made up exclusively of amateur and semi-amateur unedited clips in chronological order taken between 08.40 and 10:25 on the morning of Sep 11th.  One thing I noticed about the people standing around is that nobody was praying.  A lot of "oh my God" and JC uttered (though I have to say that the Americans are a lot better about not blaspeming the Holy Name than the British or Irish) but none of it said in the manner of prayer.  I did see one woman making the sign of the cross in a thoughtful way, but no evidence that she was praying other than this act.

On the Titanic I believe that there was a priest who lead a large group of people saying the Rosary.

Obviously we don't know what went on inside the buildings above the point of impact so it is not exactly the same as the Titanic.  Are there any concrete examples from 911 of people praying ?  Were any Rosaries, Bibles or other such things found in the rubble?

I know of one using Google.  Lieutenant Daniel O’Callaghan (Fire Dept) was found clutching a Rosary.

I was at the Windows on the World conference on the 102nd floor exactly one year before.  A client paid me to man their stand over two days in the year 2000.

What about mental prayer? You dont have to see people praying in order for them to be doing it. This is a touchy subject for me though. My husband is a Port Authority cop. His department owned the WTC buildings. My husband personally lost 6 friends that day, 37 total policeman and 67 employees from his department. I almost lost my husband that day as well. Im sure there was alot of praying, maybe just not visible, I prayed my heart out for years over that disaster and suffered much mental anguish
SanctiDominici, you have my great respect and fervent prayers for being the wife of a Port Authority cop.  (Of course, your husband and his brothers have my prayers, too.)  My father was a policeman and his father was a fireman.  I can't begin to imagine what  your husband and you have gone through.  Thank you both for your sacrifices.

I think that society, in general, has lost its way since the Titanic disaster.  But I suspect that those who chose to stay behind to give their spot on a lifeboat to someone else and those fire/policemen who ran into the burning buildings are cut from the same cloth, spiritually speaking.  They represent the most selfless love possible... to lay down their lives for another.

I hope and pray that those in the WTC buildings either renewed their faith in Christ or accepted it for the first time.  Pray
The first victim was a Franciscan priest

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mychal_F._Judge
Pages: 1 2 3