FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Schola returns to St. Pius X, San Antonio, TX
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've just gotten word that Father Kloster and Deacon Cunningham of the TLM at St. Pius X, San Antonio have brokered a deal with our scholamaster to return to singing the full Propers there on a bi-monthly basis. The first appearance will be on Sunday, the 27th of September.

I estimate only four guys total from our group will be able to commit to this program regularly. If you're an adult male, JOIN THE SCHOLA! Or if you know of one, convince him to join on pain of pain. There were no volunteers from St. Pius X the entire time the schola sang there in '08; we were all from another parish.

(Alternately, you can write a check to Schola Peregrina for the vestment fund. I'm cool with that, too.)
that's great!
How do you go about joining?
I should clarify that the ultimate goal is for our independent schola to help establish another schola dedicated to worship at St. Pius X.  So for the present, "joining" here refers to joining the new schola for St. Pius X, although you're welcome to also join our independent schola that sings around the city.

Adonis, just send me a PM. Practice for the first Mass at St. Pius begins at 6pm today at my house.
THK - have you considered putting up fliers over at Incarnate Word in the music department?

They have many great male singers {When I was there 3 years ago they had a barbershop quartet!}, and it might be possible to work something out with Professor Gokelman to offer the Schola as a class for credit for them, which is good as the music students need so many performances per year to keep their scholarships.

Just a thought. And it's not too far from St. Pius X. OTOH, you might end up with singers who aren't Catholic - dunno if you'd be okay with that or not.
(09-09-2009, 04:45 PM)dakotamidnight Wrote: [ -> ]THK - have you considered putting up fliers over at Incarnate Word in the music department?

I haven't been to UIW, but I have dropped fliers at St. Mary's and Our Lady of the Lake.

Quote:Just a thought. And it's not too far from St. Pius X. OTOH, you might end up with singers who aren't Catholic - dunno if you'd be okay with that or not.

If it was a regular lay choir, I suppose I'd be okay with that. The schola is a vested ecclesiastical choir, though. It's equivalent to serving at the altar, and it wouldn't be sensible to have non-Catholic servers.... therefore, it also doesn't make sense to have non-Catholic schola members.
(09-09-2009, 05:40 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-09-2009, 04:45 PM)dakotamidnight Wrote: [ -> ]THK - have you considered putting up fliers over at Incarnate Word in the music department?

I haven't been to UIW, but I have dropped fliers at St. Mary's and Our Lady of the Lake.

Quote:Just a thought. And it's not too far from St. Pius X. OTOH, you might end up with singers who aren't Catholic - dunno if you'd be okay with that or not.

If it was a regular lay choir, I suppose I'd be okay with that. The schola is a vested ecclesiastical choir, though. It's equivalent to serving at the altar, and it wouldn't be sensible to have non-Catholic servers.... therefore, it also doesn't make sense to have non-Catholic schola members.

Good response!
(09-08-2009, 09:57 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: [ -> ]I've just gotten word that Father Kloster and Deacon Cunningham of the TLM at St. Pius X, San Antonio have brokered a deal with our scholamaster to return to singing the full Propers there on a bi-monthly basis. The first appearance will be on Sunday, the 27th of September.

I estimate only four guys total from our group will be able to commit to this program regularly. If you're an adult male, JOIN THE SCHOLA! Or if you know of one, convince him to join on pain of pain. There were no volunteers from St. Pius X the entire time the schola sang there in '08; we were all from another parish.

(Alternately, you can write a check to Schola Peregrina for the vestment fund. I'm cool with that, too.)

This is good news.  You guys were very great back in 2008.  St. Pius X needs a dedicated schola.   
It seems that, due to internal church/choir politics, the chant program was aborted before it even began. At least, we won't be singing this Sunday. That's unfortunate, since we had prepared to sing the full set of Propers and a completely new Ordinary and Credo. If you support chant, write an angry letter to the pastor or something. Thanks.
(09-24-2009, 01:37 AM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: [ -> ]It seems that, due to internal church/choir politics, the chant program was aborted before it even began. At least, we won't be singing this Sunday. That's unfortunate, since we had prepared to sing the full set of Propers and a completely new Ordinary and Credo. If you support chant, write an angry letter to the pastor or something. Thanks.

I agree with your suggestion (although you might not want to make the anger part so apparent).  The chant program is being aborted because of angry feedback from current non-chant choir members who feel threatened.  If a few complaints to the pastor started this thing, then a few counter-complaints to the pastor can potentially reverse the decision to abort the program.
Pages: 1 2