FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Found a Watchtower in the front door today
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
(09-09-2009, 06:23 PM)Rosarium Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-09-2009, 06:18 PM)Marc Wrote: [ -> ]WRC, you might want to swing by your library and pick up a copy of Walter Martin's classic reference Kingdom of the Cults (revised and in print since the 60's) and read over the section on the Jehovah's Witnesses (100 pgs, fairly thorough); the work even has a chapter on witnessing from your doorstep. The evangelicals have placed this book on the shelf of nearly every library in America, why not get some use out of it, eh?

I found this online: http://www.waltermartin.com/cults.html

Those are but short excerpts from the book.
(09-09-2009, 06:18 PM)Marc Wrote: [ -> ]WRC, you might want to swing by your library and pick up a copy of Walter Martin's classic reference Kingdom of the Cults (revised and in print since the 60's) and read over the section on the Jehovah's Witnesses (100 pgs, fairly thorough); the work even has a chapter on witnessing from your doorstep. The evangelicals have placed this book on the shelf of nearly every library in America, why not get some use out of it, eh?

Just don't read his denunciation of the pagan 'cult of the Virgin Mary' that Catholics belong too, eh? :)
(09-09-2009, 06:50 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]

Just don't read his denunciation of the pagan 'cult of the Virgin Mary' that Catholics belong too, eh? :)

Was that in there? I honestly don't remember. But then again I didn't read the whole book.
Try this. A good friend of mine who is a real nutcase :pazzo: once saw two mormons coming to the door. He had just got out of the shower and had nothing but a towel on he answered the door and let the towel slip after about 10 seconds. He went oops let me make you some Kool Aid. They both literaly ran off his(well his parents) property. I love that story.  Another time his sister answered the door and was attacked by jovies. She said let me get my Dad and my friend showed up wearing a speedo(he was on the swim team). Have fun with them. Thats why they're here.
Funny as some of these ideas are, pretty much every JW I've known has been kind, thoughtful, industrious...generally good people. They just happen to have gotten caught up in a very self-contradictory cult. Doesn't mean that shouldn't be opposed, but there's something to be said for charity. That and I like a good debate.

Deuteronomy 18:21-22 is a good one for them. Cite it, then ask about all their date-setting for the end of the world in the 20th century. You'll plant a few seeds in their minds and send them packing in a hurry. I did this...they came back a few weeks later with their attractive daughter to talk about something else.  :laughing:
This might be overkill for your purposes, WRC, but I just like Michael Voris' apologetics...

http://www.realcatholictv.com/popout.php?id=1237
(09-10-2009, 09:50 PM)GuyIncognito Wrote: [ -> ]Funny as some of these ideas are, pretty much every JW I've known has been kind, thoughtful, industrious...generally good people. They just happen to have gotten caught up in a very self-contradictory cult. Doesn't mean that shouldn't be opposed, but there's something to be said for charity. That and I like a good debate.

Deuteronomy 18:21-22 is a good one for them. Cite it, then ask about all their date-setting for the end of the world in the 20th century. You'll plant a few seeds in their minds and send them packing in a hurry. I did this...they came back a few weeks later with their attractive daughter to talk about something else.  :laughing:

I'd say the same about Mormons. They really live their beliefs, it's hard to point a finger when I see how lackadaisical most Catholics are towards their faith...
What if you collect Mormon literature, and hand it to the JWs, then take the JW literature, and hand it to the Mormons, when they come around?  :shrug:
(09-11-2009, 01:16 AM)Texican Wrote: [ -> ]What if you collect Mormon literature, and hand it to the JWs, then take the JW literature, and hand it to the Mormons, when they come around?  :shrug:

:musicnote: Real men of genius  :musicnote:

:cheers:
(09-11-2009, 01:14 AM)Iuvenalis Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-10-2009, 09:50 PM)GuyIncognito Wrote: [ -> ]Funny as some of these ideas are, pretty much every JW I've known has been kind, thoughtful, industrious...generally good people. They just happen to have gotten caught up in a very self-contradictory cult. Doesn't mean that shouldn't be opposed, but there's something to be said for charity. That and I like a good debate.

I'd say the same about Mormons. They really live their beliefs, it's hard to point a finger when I see how lackadaisical most Catholics are towards their faith...
That's because lacadaisical (i.e., "Jack") Mormons don't broadcast their "Jackness." After time (when they give up the underwear), they pretty much look like normal folks. Until they slip up and say "Flip!" or "Special" and give their former selves away.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8