FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Found a Watchtower in the front door today
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
(09-11-2009, 01:16 AM)Texican Wrote: [ -> ]What if you collect Mormon literature, and hand it to the JWs, then take the JW literature, and hand it to the Mormons, when they come around?  :shrug:

That is a GREAT idea...
(09-10-2009, 09:50 PM)GuyIncognito Wrote: [ -> ]Funny as some of these ideas are, pretty much every JW I've known has been kind, thoughtful, industrious...generally good people. They just happen to have gotten caught up in a very self-contradictory cult. Doesn't mean that shouldn't be opposed, but there's something to be said for charity. That and I like a good debate.

I agree with this and the Mormons are usually teenagers or early 20's. Clean cut kids. How can you be rude to them?  I just tell them I'm Catholic and attend Mass every Sunday and Holy day and they're free to attend my Church if they want.  They, of course, decline. I then ask if they'd like a drink of water or something.  They're always very polite and leave.
JW's are an amusing lot.  A couple of them came by my house a while back and I told them I wouldn't have anything to do with them because they are extremely anti-Catholic.  The gentleman smiled at his female fellow-traveler and asked, "Now where would he get that idea?"  I accepted a watchtower for the fun of it and opened it to a portion that speaks of the great Satanic false religion and there was a cartoon drawing of, you guessed it,  a pope or bishop.  Now WHERE would I get the idea they were anti-Catholic?

In spite of my finding them amusing, they are actually a sad lot.  My best friend's brother married a JW years ago and he virtually cut himself off from the family.  He barely speaks to my friend.  When my friend's mother died in 1994, the JW brother and wife came to the burial and no sooner was the last amen sounded (my friend is a Methodist minister by the way), the brother and wife were off.  Apparently this was simply a social convention they felt they had to observe.  It seems to turn people into very cold human beings.  At least that has been my experience...and my friend's.
(09-09-2009, 05:38 PM)Jacafamala Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-08-2009, 11:25 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]Obviously the Witnesses are patrolling the neighborhood of the WRC Estate.  It's only a matter of time before we meet.

What do I need to know?  Please fill me in.

Stick to one issue, and don't let them jump around. I haven't spoken to them, because my father-in-law (God rest his soul), answered the door last time they came and was so rude to them, they'll prolly never come back here.

Jesus is God. This is a one real goody, because there are so many passages in the bible which attest to Christ's deity. Here's a few verses. If you'd like more verses, I'll put more up here when I've got more time.  :)

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 The same was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made by him: and without him was made nothing that was made. 4 In him was life, and the life was the light of men. 5 And the light shineth in darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.

6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. 7 This man came for a witness, to give testimony of the light, that all men might believe through him. 8 He was not the light, but was to give testimony of the light. 9 That was the true light, which enlighteneth every man that cometh into this world. 10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.

Philippians 2:6 Who being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: 7 But emptied himself, taking the form of a servant, being made in the likeness of men, and in habit found as a man.

Apocalyspe 5: 8 And when he had opened the book, the four living creatures, and the four and twenty ancients fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps, and golden vials full of odours, which are the prayers of saints: 9 And they sung a new canticle, saying: Thou art worthy, O Lord, [they are worshipping Chrit here] to take the book, and to open the seals thereof; because thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God, in thy blood, out of every tribe, and tongue, and people, and nation.

Quoting from the Bible will not help much, as the JW Bible is woefully different, particularly at John 1:1.
(09-14-2009, 02:27 AM)DJR Wrote: [ -> ]Quoting from the Bible will not help much, as the JW Bible is woefully different, particularly at John 1:1.

And in John 8:58! :)
(09-09-2009, 10:35 PM)Baskerville Wrote: [ -> ]Try this. A good friend of mine who is a real nutcase :pazzo: once saw two mormons coming to the door. He had just got out of the shower and had nothing but a towel on he answered the door and let the towel slip after about 10 seconds. He went oops let me make you some Kool Aid. They both literaly ran off his(well his parents) property. I love that story.  Another time his sister answered the door and was attacked by jovies. She said let me get my Dad and my friend showed up wearing a speedo(he was on the swim team). Have fun with them. Thats why they're here.

I have seen "go to the door naked" recommended in every discussion of Witnesses and Mormons I've ever read anywhere online.  Yes, they'll go away, but you just reinforce their beliefs that their cult is the only true one and that anyone outside it is low class.  JWs also look on it as "persecution" and they love to be persecuted, delight in telling about how someone cursed them, slammed the door, came to the door naked, chased them with a shovel, etc.  I was never a JW myself but heard such things a lot from family members who were.

It's far better to be non-confrontational, and clothed.  If they come on a Saturday morning, you're within your rights to be in your bathrobe but anything less just makes you look tacky, not a good representative of the Catholic faith.  If you want to have fun with them, invite them in to pray the Rosary or, if you're up to the challenge, have a debate. 

But you need to realize that JWs spend two weeknights every week at the Kingdom Hall, plus Sunday morning and Sunday evening, and go to "assemblies" (large regional gatherings) several times a year, being constantly taught how to present their message and answer any question.  They also use their own translation of the Bible.  You have to be awfully good at apologetics to deal with them and make a dent in their armor.
They are programmed not to listen to any arguments.

There are sites online for ex-JWs and ex-Mormons and those might be helpful to anyone who wants to get the inside dope on them.  Some of them must tell how to show them they're wrong using insider info and techniques, but, again, I wouldn't count on it working.  They're hard nuts to crack. 

Here's an excellent article by a Catholic who became a JW when he was a teenager.  He describes exactly how JWs work on potential converts and how to avoid being sucked in.

http://www.envoymagazine.com/backissues/...tory1.html

The article was listed on this page:

http://www.catholicxjw.com/doctrines.html

which contains a long list of articles concerning Catholics and JWs.  I read two of them,
"Faithful Catholics Can Be A Powerful Witness to Jehovah's Witnesses," and
"Witnessing to Jehovah's Witnesses At Your Door," both by Jeffery Schwehm, and they were very good explanations of how to keep control of a debate with Witnesses.  I also skimmed over a very long, detailed article originally published by the Knights of Columbus in 1963, and recommend it if you want a lot of knowledge about Witnesses' beliefs.  The K of C put out excellent pamphlets, like this one, in the early Sixties, don't know if that's the case today but I occasionally see an ad for one somewhere.  The K of C article is at:

http://www.catholic-forum.com/members/po...athjw.html

There are many ex-JW sites online, and ex-Mormon sites, if anyone here really wants to learn about the sects in order to engage in apologetics with them.  Just do a search and take your pick from many.

(09-11-2009, 01:24 AM)Iuvenalis Wrote: [ -> ]:musicnote: Real men of genius  :musicnote:

:cheers:

(09-11-2009, 02:14 PM)Scipio_a Wrote: [ -> ]That is a GREAT idea...

Just doing my part to Reuse, Reduce, and Recycle.     :tiphat:
A couple weeks ago, the doorbell rang.  I was anxiously expecting a package, so I jumped up and went to the door with a smile on my face.  There stood a couple young guys in white shirts and dark pants.  The disappointment on my face that it wasn't my package must have been obvious, because they both took a step back in unison.  I told them no thanks, and wished them a good afternoon.
Quote:On the other hand, it wouldn't do any good if the priest just told them all religions are paths to Our Lord.

True.  A guy at our TLM drifted away from the Church and joined his wife's Episcopalian church when he got married.  When he started feeling the pull back to his Catholic roots, he called and asked a local Catholic priest for an appointment to ask some questions.  This priest told him he should probably stay Episcopalian for the sake of avoiding conflict at home, and that there was nothing wrong with being Protestant as long as you tried to live a good life.  He proceeded to complain about problems in the Church like priestly celibacy, essentially saying the Church needed to become more Episcopalian anyway!

Somehow this guy recognized a load of BS when it was being shoveled at him, and went elsewhere until he found the truth, but you wonder how many other people this priest has ushered out of the Church.
Beautiful.

[Image: hogarcatolico.jpg]

Image lifted from here:
http://arturovasquez.wordpress.com/2009/...he-barrio/

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8