FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Off-color language and humor on this forum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Some might say that the following thread belongs in "Pig Roast" or some such other portion of FE, but I beg to differ.The subtitle of this area of Fe is "Catholic News, Discussion, History, & Culture," and I think this pertains to discussion and culture, vis a vis FE. I also wanted the widest number of people to see it, and Pig Roast" postings don't make the "Headlines" of the main page. Having said that, here goes:

I am noticing a marked increase in the amount of off-color language being used by some members on this forum. There was also a "joke" recently pertaining to a man measuring his genitals that I think the OP new to be in poor taste..(He posted it in the "About Men" portion of the forum..I hope this person, if he chooses to comment on why this "joke" was posted there, doesn't use the lame excuse that it was a "joke" having to do with men...I think we can all surmise why it was posted in the aforementioned category). It should not have been posted at all.

There is outright filthy language being used regularly by some in various postings: base references to human anatomy, assorted crudities, etc..and no, removing certain letters in a filthy word, e.g, "a**hole" does not make it any more acceptable. The one who reads a "word" such as this still knows what the author is trying to say, and still plants that filthy word into someone's head. Use of such language could easily be seen as being an accessory to someone else's sin.

. Is this sort of language really necessary to get one's point across? I personally see use of such language as being indicative of an untrained mind and lack of vocabulary. We are (at least most of us are) Roman Catholics .If you think that I am indelicate, scrupulous, overly sensitive, whatever, you should read the "statutes" of various "Holy Name" societies, pertaining to standards expected of it's members. It's not just use of the Name of God in vain that it addresses, it is also crude language such as this

This is a Roman Catholic forum. Lets see that our language reflects that.
I haven't seen this here myself, but I wholeheartedly agree with MT.

Christina
I agree. I was wondering why the language here was seen as acceptable, when I was always under the impression that crude language was at least venially sinful.
(09-10-2009, 08:25 AM)matthew_talbot Wrote: [ -> ]Some might say that the following thread belongs in "Pig Roast" or some such other portion of FE, but I beg to differ.The subtitle of this area of Fe is "Catholic News, Discussion, History, & Culture," and I think this pertains to discussion and culture, vis a vis FE. I also wanted the widest number of people to see it, and Pig Roast" postings don't make the "Headlines" of the main page. Having said that, here goes:

I am noticing a marked increase in the amount of off-color language being used by some members on this forum. There was also a "joke" recently pertaining to a man measuring his genitals that I think the OP new to be in poor taste..(He posted it in the "About Men" portion of the forum..I hope this person, if he chooses to comment on why this "joke" was posted there, doesn't use the lame excuse that it was a "joke" having to do with men...I think we can all surmise why it was posted in the aforementioned category). It should not have been posted at all.

There is outright filthy language being used regularly by some in various postings: base references to human anatomy, assorted crudities, etc..and no, removing certain letters in a filthy word, e.g, "a**hole" does not make it any more acceptable. The one who reads a "word" such as this still knows what the author is trying to say, and still plants that filthy word into someone's head. Use of such language could easily be seen as being an accessory to someone else's sin.

. Is this sort of language really necessary to get one's point across? I personally see use of such language as being indicative of an untrained mind and lack of vocabulary. We are (at least most of us are) Roman Catholics .If you think that I am indelicate, scrupulous, overly sensitive, whatever, you should read the "statutes" of various "Holy Name" societies, pertaining to standards expected of it's members. It's not just use of the Name of God in vain that it addresses, it is also crude language such as this

This is a Roman Catholic forum. Lets see that our language reflects that.

Thank you very much for posting this. I was going to say something also, but I decided against it for a few reasons.

+1 for addressing an important matter.
(09-10-2009, 08:48 AM)savienu Wrote: [ -> ]I agree. I was wondering why the language here was seen as acceptable, when I was always under the impression that crude language was at least venially sinful.

I was wondering this also...
Well.
I didn't know a word such as a  hole was considered a sin. Go figure. Learn something new everyday. As for untrained mind that's bull. Not that it matters to me but in my university days I was stunned by the potty mouths of TAs and profs. Not just being crude in english. Some I new prided themselves on how to say a word such as a hole in as many different languages as one can. Its not a sign of an untraoned mind to use a word to describe certain behavoir. Ill admit I like using such words because a word like a hole says allot in a nut shell rather then a paragraph. But that's just Me. Being rude or crude for its own sake is wrong but don't kid yourself. One can get a good lashing of the tongue without them but being a simple man I stick to what works. italian has a word I hear from the mouths of italian priest all the time. I won't post it for fear of offending the sensitive types here.  Its a word that can mean amongst other things wow, or for men. my wee willy!!! or as an exclamation. As an example I heard it used with a gasp when a priest touched one of my missals from 1580. If I would translate this right it would be scandalous but such is italian.
A language I love to swear in and one I teach and am fluent in is ASL.as a language to really get to the point and tell some where to go its tops.I love languages and not the text book kind. I love the use of language as an everyday communication. How guys use it. to the point. What u don't learn in language class is the stuff that I like the most. Its a personal thing. But I'm not very high brow.
Though some might mock or say those who use such language have untrained minds I say the ones who comlain about it have no funny bone.
Again go figure.
I guess I just have the principle of "if I wouldn't use that language in front of Jesus, I shouldn't use it at all." That's not saying I'm perfect and that I don't curse every now and then, but I certainly try not to.
(09-10-2009, 09:35 AM)devotedknuckles Wrote: [ -> ]Well.
I didn't know a word such as a  hole was considered a sin. Go figure. Learn something new everyday. As for untrained mind that's bull. Not that it matters to me but in my university days I was stunned by the potty mouths of TAs and profs. Not just being crude in english. Some I new prided themselves on how to say a word such as a hole in as many different languages as one can. Its not a sign of an untraoned mind to use a word to describe certain behavoir. Ill admit I like using such words because a word like a hole says allot in a nut shell rather then a paragraph. But that's just Me. Being rude or crude for its own sake is wrong but don't kid yourself. One can get a good lashing of the tongue without them but being a simple man I stick to what works. italian has a word I hear from the mouths of italian priest all the time. I won't post it for fear of offending the sensitive types here.  Its a word that can mean amongst other things wow, or for men. my wee willy!!! or as an exclamation. As an example I heard it used with a gasp when a priest touched one of my missals from 1580. If I would translate this right it would be scandalous but such is italian.
A language I love to swear in and one I teach and am fluent in is ASL.as a language to really get to the point and tell some where to go its tops.I love languages and not the text book kind. I love the use of language as an everyday communication. How guys use it. to the point. What u don't learn in language class is the stuff that I like the most. Its a personal thing. But I'm not very high brow.
Though some might mock or say those who use such language have untrained minds I say the ones who comlain about it have no funny bone.
Again go figure.

Are Holy Name societies hopelessly out-of-touch and incorrect when they ask members not to use such language?
With the exception of the member who posted the "joke," I was not calling anyone out, you included, DK..Your posts are oftentimes very entertaining  and informative. I understand that the Irish seem to be disposed to such language. My name is Finnegan" afterall.
No. but what's wrong with using bad language o describe bad behavoir? What's the line on bad language as opposed to language that hurts feelings? Rules that constantly change bug me so I just stick with the realones u know GODS laws. I'm sure the apostles used an equevelant to a hole to describe those acting like such. Language is language..
But if I was having a pint with CHRIST we would share a laugh and if I came across an a hole I would certainly use the word to describe him. Well no I would use the words that I know I can't here.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17