FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Competition for EWTN
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I've been mulling this over for a while, and decided that I needed to throw this question out to anyone who might be reading. What are the chances of someone starting up another Catholic channel, one that's very traditional, and one that will compete against EWTN? Surely there has to be someone out there willing enough to give some competition to the juggernaut that is the Eternal Word Television Network.
Eaters o Fish Traddy Network.

EFTN.....Yar.

:tiphat:
There are online things and such, but in reality there are not enough trads to support such a thing monetarily.  And most trads I know aren't rich - they don't book $12,000 cabins on cruises to Rome like some of the people who support Catholic Answers do.  What they do give, they tend to give to Seminaries, etc., which is great.

I've seen recent mails from CatholicCulture that say they need $120K per quarter to stay afloat.  They consistently rank lower than Fish Eaters for web traffic.  Up until April of this year, it cost me and Vox a few thousand per year for the website and forum.  With economizing, shopping around, changing how we do some things, it now costs us (in terms of hosting, etc.) $26 per month for the website and forum which is why you won't see donation requests much at all anymore unless we expand things (but, you know donations are always appreciated because besides the forum we have to pay for our computers, electricity, etc., and we do that out of pocket).

Of course, we donate all our time and stuff which adds up quickly, but still $120K per quarter for a website that ranks lower than FE?  Something's not right there... (and I know what's not right because I've seen the public not-for-profit tax filings of Catholic Culture and know where the money is going at least according to what they file with the IRS). 

This isn't the filings that shows exactly where the money goes, but this is their stated budget for Q4 of this year.

http://www.catholicculture.org/about/don...budget.cfm

And Catholic Culture isn't the only Catholic site that has big budgets with lesser traffic.  Catholic Exchange is another that ranks lower than FE and has a budget a lot bigger than $26 per month.

When Mother Angelica started and ran EWTN, you can bet they had a tight budget and were very frugal.  I don't think the same can be said today...

Anyhow the point is that they get people to cough up that much money.  It would be much more difficult to get that kind of money out of trads because there is a lot less of us, and most trads are not rich because we have 3+ children, try not to be worldly, etc.  So, trying to compete even on a small level with EWTN would be difficult because it would be difficult to finance.  Probably the best that could be done is a local cable access show.  The other alternative is video and audio on the internet, and that's being done today.

AD WARNING

Since we're talking about money, if you want to help FE, one great way is to click on the Amazon banner at the top when you order from Amazon.  It doesn't cost you anything except a little effort, and we get a small percentage of the purchase price. :)

END OF AD

:)

Edit: for clarity about link.
(09-19-2009, 06:41 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: [ -> ]AD WARNING

Since we're talking about money, if you want to help FE, one great way is to click on the Amazon banner at the top when you order from Amazon.  It doesn't cost you anything except a little effort, and we get a small percentage of the purchase price. :)

END OF AD

Do we have to click on the ad, or can we just use its URI? Does the URI change? And, how does it compare to using http://rosary.freehostia.com/amazonconverter/ ?
(09-19-2009, 06:44 PM)Rosarium Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-19-2009, 06:41 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: [ -> ]AD WARNING

END OF AD

Do we have to click on the ad, or can we just use its URI? Does the URI change? And, how does it compare to using http://rosary.freehostia.com/amazonconverter/ ?

Your converter (thanks again, Rosarium!) will give FE a higher percentage of the price.  Amazon gives you a higher percentage for direct links to a product which is what your converter supplies, but if the person goes to Amazon through our banner ad or other link identifying us and buys stuff, we still get something.

So, the way to get most to FE is to use your link above, but we get something anyhow if people go through the banner even if they buy toys instead of books.  I picked the most generically interesting banner to put up and leave there.

Someday I may do a "book of the month" link to showcase interesting products that will give us a higher percentage if people buy through the link.
(09-19-2009, 06:48 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: [ -> ]Your converter (thanks again, Rosarium!) will give FE a higher percentage of the price.  Amazon gives you a higher percentage for direct links to a product which is what your converter supplies, but if the person goes to Amazon through our banner ad or other link identifying us and buys stuff, we still get something.
The code for the converter is available (it will hotlink the script, but that can be copied) so you can put it on the site anywhere it would be most visible. Right now, I don't think it is used much.

I don't get it...

I've been using the banner, only.

WHAT is a converter?

And where do I find it?

Baby language, please.
(09-19-2009, 06:41 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: [ -> ]There are online things and such, but in reality there are not enough trads to support such a thing monetarily.  And most trads I know aren't rich - they don't book $12,000 cabins on cruises to Rome like some of the people who support Catholic Answers do.  What they do give, they tend to give to Seminaries, etc., which is great.

I've seen recent mails from CatholicCulture that say they need $120K per quarter to stay afloat.  They consistently rank lower than Fish Eaters for web traffic.  Up until April of this year, it cost me and Vox a few thousand per year for the website and forum.  With economizing, shopping around, changing how we do some things, it now costs us (in terms of hosting, etc.) $26 per month for the website and forum which is why you won't see donation requests much at all anymore unless we expand things (but, you know donations are always appreciated because besides the forum we have to pay for our computers, electricity, etc., and we do that out of pocket).

Of course, we donate all our time and stuff which adds up quickly, but still $120K per quarter for a website that ranks lower than FE?  Something's not right there... (and I know what's not right because I've seen the public not-for-profit tax filings of Catholic Culture and know where the money is going at least according to what they file with the IRS). 

This isn't the filings that shows exactly where the money goes, but this is their stated budget for Q4 of this year.

http://www.catholicculture.org/about/don...budget.cfm

And Catholic Culture isn't the only Catholic site that has big budgets with lesser traffic.  Catholic Exchange is another that ranks lower than FE and has a budget a lot bigger than $26 per month.

When Mother Angelica started and ran EWTN, you can bet they had a tight budget and were very frugal.  I don't think the same can be said today...

Anyhow the point is that they get people to cough up that much money.  It would be much more difficult to get that kind of money out of trads because there is a lot less of us, and most trads are not rich because we have 3+ children, try not to be worldly, etc.  So, trying to compete even on a small level with EWTN would be difficult because it would be difficult to finance.  Probably the best that could be done is a local cable access show.  The other alternative is video and audio on the internet, and that's being done today.

AD WARNING

END OF AD

Edit: for clarity about link.

Trads tend to be the most generous though. The Church I attend is biritual NO/TLM, and once a year they post statistics regarding donations; the TLM easily has the highest $ per capita.
EWTN, the "Network of Modernists" which has done a yeoman's work to publicize and support the TLM. In return they get only grief from curmudgeony traditionalists.
(09-19-2009, 07:05 PM)libby Wrote: [ -> ]I don't get it...

I've been using the banner, only.

WHAT is a converter?

And where do I find it?

Baby language, please.

forget it -

I actually did it.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5