FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: The End of the Modern World by Guardini
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Has anyone ever read this book or know anything about it: http://www.booksforcatholics.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=B&Product_Code=9781882926589&Category_Code=The_State_of_the_Church

It's called The End of the Modern World and it was written by Romano Guardini. I've read good things by Guardini. I'm curious if anyone is familiar with this work though. I am considering buying it.

Thanks in advance!
I am in a reading group at my parish, and by coincidence, the next book we are about to read is Guardini's End of the Modern World. 
(09-22-2009, 12:40 PM)JonW Wrote: [ -> ]I am in a reading group at my parish, and by coincidence, the next book we are about to read is Guardini's End of the Modern World. 

Oh cool. Is it a traditional Mass parish or no?

I don't know a lot about Guardini honestly but I've read parts of his book on prayer and it seemed good.

Pax Christi tecum.
I had never heard of him before so I checked wikipedia.  Here was an interesting few lines that I thought would definitely scare some people here off:

Quote:His first major work, Vom Geist der Liturgie (The Spirit of the Liturgy), published during the First World War, was a major influence on the Liturgical Movement in Germany, and so ultimately on the liturgical reforms of the Second Vatican Council.[1] Pope Paul VI offered to make him a cardinal in 1965, but he respectfully declined.
(09-22-2009, 01:38 PM)Walty Wrote: [ -> ]I had never heard of him before so I checked wikipedia.  Here was an interesting few lines that I thought would definitely scare some people here off:

Quote:His first major work, Vom Geist der Liturgie (The Spirit of the Liturgy), published during the First World War, was a major influence on the Liturgical Movement in Germany, and so ultimately on the liturgical reforms of the Second Vatican Council.[1] Pope Paul VI offered to make him a cardinal in 1965, but he respectfully declined.
You're such a buzz kill. :o
(09-22-2009, 01:38 PM)Walty Wrote: [ -> ]I had never heard of him before so I checked wikipedia.  Here was an interesting few lines that I thought would definitely scare some people here off:

Yes but I don't think The Spirit of the Liturgy was bad. I've not read it though. I know he was influential but I think at the beginning the Liturgical Movement was good but later on it was taken over by those who had less than traditional ideas. But others would know more than I.
CarmeliteAtHeart Wrote:Oh cool. Is it a traditional Mass parish or no?

I don't know a lot about Guardini honestly but I've read parts of his book on prayer and it seemed good.

Pax Christi tecum.

It's biritual, or maybe triritual.  It's NO/NO in Latin/TLM.  They have a TLM Mass every day.  I don't know much about Guardini either, but wasn't he somewhat influential on Benedict?
(09-23-2009, 08:12 AM)JonW Wrote: [ -> ]
CarmeliteAtHeart Wrote:Oh cool. Is it a traditional Mass parish or no?

Pax Christi tecum.

It's biritual, or maybe triritual.  It's NO/NO in Latin/TLM.  They have a TLM Mass every day.  I don't know much about Guardini either, but wasn't he somewhat influential on Benedict?
Triritual? Is that anything like a three-ringed Bernini Brothers' Circus?
(09-23-2009, 08:12 AM)JonW Wrote: [ -> ]It's biritual, or maybe triritual.  It's NO/NO in Latin/TLM. 

It's uniritual, since they celebrate only the Roman Rite, albeit in both the OF and EF. :) Biritual is the celebration of two different rites.
(09-23-2009, 08:38 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-23-2009, 08:12 AM)JonW Wrote: [ -> ]It's biritual, or maybe triritual.  It's NO/NO in Latin/TLM. 

It's uniritual, since they celebrate only the Roman Rite, albeit in both the OF and EF. :) Biritual is the celebration of two different rites.

The NO and the TLM are two different rites, just like black and white are two different colors or just like the Catholic Church and the Synagogue of Satan are two different religions.
Pages: 1 2