FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Is anybody here against the canonization of Bishop Sheen?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I just wanted to know about some of your personal thoughts on the matter.
I am for it I dont know why one would be against it. Its true that early on he was very pro VII but after he saw the destruction of the faith that it created he became more traditional. He also warned about the dangers of sending ones children to Catholic schools because of the modernism that was in them.
It is truly a shame what has happened to his diocese.
I heard he was rather mean and rude behind the scenes?  Does anyone have a credible source for this?
(09-23-2009, 10:56 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]I heard he was rather mean and rude behind the scenes?  Does anyone have a credible source for this?

So you don't know that it's true but your post is spreading a rumor about a priest over the internet. Is that calumny or derailment?
(09-24-2009, 12:15 AM)DarkKnight Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-23-2009, 10:56 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]I heard he was rather mean and rude behind the scenes?  Does anyone have a credible source for this?

So you don't know that it's true but your post is spreading a rumor about a priest over the internet. Is that calumny or derailment?

It's neither.  I emphasized the HEARD part, because I trust FE for information on Catholic stuff.  If anyone is going to know anything BAD about a bishop, it's going to be here, or two other trad-Catholic forums.

But hey, thanks for attributing malicious intent to my post.

As a note - I fully enjoy the deceased Abp.  I love his talks and TV show, and wish we had someone like him living now.  I posted my question so as to get more information.  It's the ONLY time I've ever heard anything bad spoken about him, so I wanted to find out more information, and this was a perfect place to ask it, I thought.
I would not be against a cause for his canonization, but I would not be promoting it either.

I like some of what His Grace wrote, but in all of the radio, television and other publications, I see a lot of showmanship and likability, but nothing in particular that demonstrated in any extraordinary way his heroic virtue.

His popularity was mostly because of that style and showmanship. He was attractive because of his way of speaking and communicating, but he was not known as an example of virtue, and it is hard to cut through all of the personality to get at the man himself.

I think because of that popularity many people want him canonized. Indeed, most of the canonized Saints have had to have some popularity in their life in order to stand out, but all demonstrated themselves examples of heroic virtue. I don't know that Archbishop Sheen did this, and honestly it's not my place to figure it out. That is why there is a process.

My only, I guess I would say, reservation about the canonization process for Archbishop Sheen is my impression that those pursuing it are doing it because of his popularity and not because of anything he did which was truly virtuous.

(09-24-2009, 12:19 AM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]It's neither.  I emphasized the HEARD part, because I trust FE for information on Catholic stuff.  If anyone is going to know anything BAD about a bishop, it's going to be here, or two other trad-Catholic forums.
Now I wonder if that's calumniating Trads?
I'm for it, and don't really understand why anyone would be against it either.
I'm for the old canonization process, and whosoever makes it through that, may they be sainted.
Pages: 1 2 3 4