FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Is it wrong to view going to a NO Mass as Penance?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I do not go to NO Masses anymore now a days since I have the Fraternity of St. Peter Church close to my house, however I do maintain a close relationship with the Priest of my regular parish so I do go every once in a while.

I know the man to be a good and orthodox Priest I have talked to him about opening to the Tridentine Mass (which he knows how to pray and his Latin is excellent.) However he has told me that the church committee would never stand for it and the Bishop would not be of much help if anything I believe he is a great hindrance.

My problem stems from the fact that now that I know what the Mass is suppose to look like its sad truly sad going back to the NO. However I know that the Eucharist is there and therefore Christ's presence is there so I try to be a solemn as possible and be an "active participant."
"The church committee would never stand for it?" Who's in charge of the parish?
(09-29-2009, 02:45 PM)Lee Timmer Wrote: [ -> ]"The church committee would never stand for it?" Who's in charge of the parish?

My question too.  When did "church committees" officially (meaning through canon law) be granted exclusive powers to run parishes liturgically?  Never heard of that one.  Sounds like the priest lost his (see below) more than his authoritiy - if you know what I mean.

[Image: Rubber%20Balls.jpg]
More often than not, it seems, at the NO parish, the laity (and by laity, i mean old people involved in the upper-rungs of the parish) control the parish.  They stay there for life, and they are always working on the parish council, in the rectory, etc, etc, and after a few years, they gain the ear of the Bishop (or can make enough racket that the bishop finds it easier to transfer the priest than deal with these idiots). 

That, and unlike the priests, these people stay at the parish for life.  So they become entrenched.
(09-29-2009, 03:01 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]More often than not, it seems, at the NO parish, the laity (and by laity, i mean old people involved in the upper-rungs of the parish) control the parish.  They stay there for life, and they are always working on the parish council, in the rectory, etc, etc, and after a few years, they gain the ear of the Bishop (or can make enough racket that the bishop finds it easier to transfer the priest than deal with these idiots). 

That, and unlike the priests, these people stay at the parish for life.  So they become entrenched.

Pitiful.  That's no excuse for the laity telling priests what they may or may not do liturgically.  And it's no excuse for a priest to become a spineless slave to a congregation.  Who went for years to seminary?  Who was ordained?  Who paid thousands of dollars to go to college and seminary and then be told by a bunch of ignorant old ladies how, when, and where to offer Mass?
Totally pitiful.
(09-29-2009, 03:01 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]More often than not, it seems, at the NO parish, the laity (and by laity, i mean old people involved in the upper-rungs of the parish) control the parish.  They stay there for life, and they are always working on the parish council, in the rectory, etc, etc, and after a few years, they gain the ear of the Bishop (or can make enough racket that the bishop finds it easier to transfer the priest than deal with these idiots). 

Ditto on that. The committee can not stop the Priest but it can make life very difficult for him. This man is an old Priest, who has to share the Church with two others (also old but very much VII Priests) whose orthodoxy varies greatly.

I continue to work on him though may be throw in some ad orientem ideas.
The committee would spread lies about him of the vilest sort if he even attempted to do a Mass...that's the way these things work...and if the committee were not made of of those scumbags   they would still get together and calumniate and run to the "bishyp" and cry fould and spread lies....you NO presbyter is smart and wants to keep his job and not be maligned by vicious accusations that would hound him until he died and possibly later......

I know this sounds harsh....but my dad witnessed it in his "parish" many years ago.   Fortunately in that case the one of the scumbags left a message on the wrong phone outlining the whole plan to make sure all the other scumbags were on board so they had the same stories...The Priest actually got the message first...called my dad and some others and they recorded it and took it to the "bishyp" who was disappointed that he would have to keep a conservative in place....

Sucks to be part of that....stay away...your guy could always apply to the SSPX and get a real chapel and be free to offer Mass and save souls!!!
(09-29-2009, 03:14 PM)Unum Sint Wrote: [ -> ]

Ditto on that. The committee can not stop the Priest but it can make life very difficult for him. This man is an old Priest, who has to share the Church with two others (also old but very much VII Priests) whose orthodoxy varies greatly.

I continue to work on him though may be throw in some ad orientem ideas.

Sorry if I sounded harsh, Unum Sint, but priests who let laymen and laywomen walk all over them and tell them what to do liturgically, pushes my buttons to no end.

My prayers are with you and your parish.
It is not wrong to view the NO Mass as penance.  I am convinced that the NO is chastisement due to the abuse of the TR. 
I don't know if penance is quite the right term. Cause for provocation, bad for the blood pressure, etc. culminating with "Loosing your religion" (whether literally or figuratively).
Pages: 1 2 3