FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: SSPX or Orthodox
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
(10-01-2009, 01:37 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-01-2009, 01:30 PM)nsper7 Wrote: [ -> ]I have never attended a TLM or an Orthodox liturgy. If I was already a Priest (since I do have a desire for Holy Orders), I would just celebrate an NO Mass on my own if I had to. :D

Once again, nsper7, I have to ask why you're here? You are not a Trad in any sense understood by the rules of this forum and unlike another newbie I don't think you're a troll. I cannot believe that you made the above statement on a Trad forum! :) If you were already a priest and were in this situation if you were really a Trad you wouldn't be celebrating the NO/OF unless it was pastorally needed, you would celebrate a a TLM/EF!

I am a Traditionalist in that I respect the EF/TLM and think it should be more widespread and would have no problem attending one or, as a Priest, celebrating one. Even if I were celebrating the NO Mass alone, I would make sure to abide by the rubrics and celebrate it properly and reverently.
(10-01-2009, 02:11 PM)nsper7 Wrote: [ -> ]I am a Traditionalist in that I respect the EF/TLM and think it should be more widespread and would have no problem attending one or, as a Priest, celebrating one. Even if I were celebrating the NO Mass alone, I would make sure to abide by the rubrics and celebrate it properly and reverently.

Another case of language twisting. 'Respect(ing) the EF/TLM' does not a Traditionalist make. :)
(10-01-2009, 02:14 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-01-2009, 02:11 PM)nsper7 Wrote: [ -> ]I am a Traditionalist in that I respect the EF/TLM and think it should be more widespread and would have no problem attending one or, as a Priest, celebrating one. Even if I were celebrating the NO Mass alone, I would make sure to abide by the rubrics and celebrate it properly and reverently.

Another case of language twisting. 'Respect(ing) the EF/TLM' does not a Traditionalist make. :)

There are different levels of Traditionalists. Perhaps I am a bit more of a Neo-Conservative (NOT IN THE POLITICAL SENSE, but in the theological sense) Catholic, but I think Traditional and Neo-Conservative Catholicism should go hand-in-hand since we both stand for an orthodox Faith.
If I had to choose between two liturgies, let's say equal in validity and beauty, then I would choose the one where the priest/homilist would preach sound doctrine from the pulpit. That probably won't happen at an Orthodox liturgy because they don't accept the dogmas of Papal Infallibility or the Immaculate Conception. And as far as I know they don't pray for the Pope. But, like Jovan said, if there was no Catholic alternative you could fulfill your Sunday obligation there.

- Lisa
This whole topic is redonkulous.
(10-01-2009, 03:09 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: [ -> ]This whole topic is redonkulous.

Is that a subtle reference to the medieval donkey Mass?  :)
(10-01-2009, 03:16 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-01-2009, 03:09 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: [ -> ]This whole topic is redonkulous.

You know me too well, madame.

But no, I just mean.... choosing SSPX or Orthodox.... do we really need to ask this question? I mean, even if you're a neo-con, the Society at least recognizes all the dogmas of the faith and the primacy of the Pope. The Orthodox do neither. Hence the redonkulousness.
(10-01-2009, 03:24 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: [ -> ]

But no, I just mean.... choosing SSPX or Orthodox.... do we really need to ask this question? I mean, even if you're a neo-con, the Society at least recognizes all the dogmas of the faith and the primacy of the Pope. The Orthodox do neither. Hence the redonkulousness.

But an Orthodox Eucharist would be just as valid as an SSPX Mass, correct? Obviously, we are talking about an odd and, most likely, never-will-occur situation. If I were a Priest at that point, I'd just celebrate the OF/NO on my own (maybe see if there are any others in need of an OF Mass too :) ) and make sure I don't get stuck in that town again next Sunday. :)
(10-01-2009, 03:26 PM)nsper7 Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-01-2009, 03:24 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: [ -> ]

But an Orthodox Eucharist would be just as valid as an SSPX Mass, correct? Obviously, we are talking about an odd and, most likely, never-will-occur situation. If I were a Priest at that point, I'd just celebrate the OF/NO on my own (maybe see if there are any others in need of an OF Mass too :) ) and make sure I don't get stuck in that town again next Sunday. :)

Validity and licitness are two entirely different questions.
(10-01-2009, 03:26 PM)nsper7 Wrote: [ -> ]But an Orthodox Eucharist would be just as valid as an SSPX Mass, correct? Obviously, we are talking about an odd and, most likely, never-will-occur situation. If I were a Priest at that point, I'd just celebrate the OF/NO on my own (maybe see if there are any others in need of an OF Mass too :) ) and make sure I don't get stuck in that town again next Sunday. :)

There's more to choosing one's church than just validity. Assisting at the sacrifice of Christ is the most important thing, to be sure. But surely, another reason why the Church made regular Sunday attendance a compulsory precept was to ensure that the faithful were being continually fed with solid teaching and in the company of fellow believers in the mystical body of Christ. Protestants may make the error of over-emphasizing these things, but that makes them no less important for us.

It should be clear that even from a neo-con perspective, the SSPX does a better job of fulfilling those functions than a church which is entirely not in communion with Rome.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24