FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: H1N1 Shot for Pregnant Women
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Dear Fisheaters

My wife is pregnant with our second  :) and everyone is saying that pregnant women are 4 times more likely to get infected and as a result, consequences may arise.

Please read below:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,559062,00.html

I am a little concerned about my wife getting a shot and wanted to hear from pregnant mom's or doctors or anyone who has an opinion on this matter or is planning to or not planning to get the shot.

God Bless!

Svetirok
http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...354.0.html

We had that thread about this topic. While we are not doctors and can't give medical advice, it seems the most recommended action was to do whatever had the least risk. Most people don't trust vaccines, and often times, for a very good reason. I'd make sure any injection during pregnancy was absolutely necessary and had enough time to test properly (many years).

As for H1N1, it is over hyped I think. I'd think of it as the regular flu, which is more common and more deadly.

My (personal) advice: just don't do it.  It is an experimental vaccine and there is no legal recourse should it injure/kill your wife/child. 

Have your wife observe common sense health precautions: wash hands with soap & water, take vitamins, get plenty of rest, sunshine, and good food, and most of all RELAX.  Stress takes its toll on the immune system.  Natural probiotics (bananas, yogurt) may help, too.

Remember that it is pneumonia that usually kills, not the actual flu itself.  We have treatments available to us that were not around in 1918: i.v. fluid replacement and antibiotics.  And contrary to what you hear in the news, nearly everyone who has died from swine flu live in third world countries where conditions are unsanitary and treatment is not widely available, or are immuno-compromised/unhealthy to begin with (such as HIV, cystic fibrosis, pulmonary disease, heart conditions, diabetes, etc.).

Ok, I'm off my soapbox now.  ;D
(10-02-2009, 04:33 PM)Underdog Wrote: [ -> ]Remember that it is pneumonia that usually kills, not the actual flu itself.  We have treatments available to us that were not around in 1918: i.v. fluid replacement and antibiotics.  And contrary to what you hear in the news, nearly everyone who has died from swine flu live in third world countries where conditions are unsanitary and treatment is not widely available, or are immuno-compromised/unhealthy to begin with (such as HIV, cystic fibrosis, pulmonary disease, heart conditions, diabetes, etc.).

I agree with your overall post, but pneumonia caused by a viral infection cannot be treated with antibiotics.
As a pregnant woman who was recently VERY lectured on it by a nurse...Im not doing it. I have survived all my pregnancies thus far, vaccine free, and I intend to keep it that way. I do vaccinate my kids, though im not doing this one, I dont think...The developers of it know very little about it,and the side affects. Im not going to be a guinee pig, and neither is my un born baby, or my children. Just wash your hands obsessively, and disinfect properly.
(10-02-2009, 08:41 PM)CanadianCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]Just wash your hands obsessively, and disinfect properly.
Did you see the Sun today? There was an article that said due to the fact that H1N1 tends to be transmitted by air, washing your hands while never a bad idea, probably won't help prevent swine flu.
(10-02-2009, 09:53 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-02-2009, 08:41 PM)CanadianCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]Just wash your hands obsessively, and disinfect properly.
Did you see the Sun today? There was an article that said due to the fact that H1N1 tends to be transmitted by air, washing your hands while never a bad idea, probably won't help prevent swine flu.
Still....it cant hurt...I dont know what to do, honestly. I have my 2 oldest in 2 different schools, and playgroups full of kids. Im scared half to death, but I dont know what to do, Im not going to stay home all day, and hole up in the house. Baby is due in February, I probably wont go out as much, with my tiny baby. but really, theres not much I can do about my oldest girls in school. Im just gonna hope and pray real hard that everything is ok.
Just to let people know...H1N1 is not lurking around every corner. There are plenty of others things closer for most people about which to worry.

Just pray, stay clean, and avoid unnecessary risks.
(10-02-2009, 08:35 PM)elizabee Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-02-2009, 04:33 PM)Underdog Wrote: [ -> ]Remember that it is pneumonia that usually kills, not the actual flu itself.  We have treatments available to us that were not around in 1918: i.v. fluid replacement and antibiotics.  And contrary to what you hear in the news, nearly everyone who has died from swine flu live in third world countries where conditions are unsanitary and treatment is not widely available, or are immuno-compromised/unhealthy to begin with (such as HIV, cystic fibrosis, pulmonary disease, heart conditions, diabetes, etc.).

I agree with your overall post, but pneumonia caused by a viral infection cannot be treated with antibiotics.

In this case, the pneumonia would most often be a result of a secondary bacterial infection.
As a family practitionner physician, I do not recommend to my pregnant patients vaccines, because of unkown effects they have. If U feel you are exposed to an outbreak of flu, prevent with a homeopathic extract named "Oscillococcinum", produced by a french manufacturer named "Laboratoires Boiron". If in your country this is not registered, go in a homeopathic pharmacy and ask for "Anas barbariae" remedy, which is the same thing.
Pages: 1 2