FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Separate Books of Gospels and Epistles for solemn Mass?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I noticed that in the Missal's rubrics, for the solemn Mass it says that the subdeacon reads from a book of epistles (epistolarium) and the deacon reads from a book of gospels (evangeliarium). This latter book is especially treated with reverence. At their ordinations, they are also presented with one of these books.

That being said, I couldn't find either of them in any of the online liturgical stores. Anyone know where to buy one? They would be nice accessories for whenever my local TLM finally gets ready for the solemn form of the Mass.

Separate question relating to altar books: I don't suppose there are any altar missals in full-colour illuminated manuscript style for sale, are there? I like the Benziger Missal, but it still looks kind of minimalist compared to the books produced in the glory days of the Church. Just sayin'.
https://www.loomebooks.com/Store4.cfm?DCatID=257

Item 19 I think is the kind of Missal you are looking for.

As far as the Epistolarium and Evangeliarium (both of which I have seen used), I cannot find any in Latin, although plenty in Greek. They are apparently rare since companies who provide for Tridentine materials usually prepare just for Low Masses.......
(10-12-2009, 10:56 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: [ -> ]I noticed that in the Missal's rubrics, for the solemn Mass it says that the subdeacon reads from a book of epistles (epistolarium) and the deacon reads from a book of gospels (evangeliarium). This latter book is especially treated with reverence. At their ordinations, they are also presented with one of these books.

That being said, I couldn't find either of them in any of the online liturgical stores. Anyone know where to buy one? They would be nice accessories for whenever my local TLM finally gets ready for the solemn form of the Mass.

Separate question relating to altar books: I don't suppose there are any altar missals in full-colour illuminated manuscript style for sale, are there? I like the Benziger Missal, but it still looks kind of minimalist compared to the books produced in the glory days of the Church. Just sayin'.

What I am most familiar with is a single book holding nothing but readings (essentially, Epistolarium and Evangeliarium baked into one).  I guess it's just a Tridentine lectionary.  But even when only these were available, I've been involved in liturgies where one will be used for the Epistle and a separate one (typically with a gold cover) will be used for the Gospel.  You could always just use a separate Missal for these purposes, or at a Sung Mass, a lector can even sing right out of a Liber.

You're going to have to find an antique copy.  To my knowledge, there aren't any re-publishings of 1962 lectionaries.
I'm not sure, but the 1964 lectionaries listed here might be applicable to Tridentine use.

https://www.loomebooks.com/Store4.cfm?DCatID=256
I found this also on the Loome Books site.  It might be the closest you can get for a liturgical Gospel and Epistle Book for the Latin Mass:

https://www.loomebooks.com/StoreNew.cfm?Cat=265

It's number seven on the page.

edit:  oops...I just noticed it's in English so it may not be usable in a Latin Mass but perhaps in the Anglican Use.
(10-13-2009, 06:14 PM)mike6240 Wrote: [ -> ]edit:  oops...I just noticed it's in English so it may not be usable in a Latin Mass but perhaps in the Anglican Use.

Summorum Pontificum allows for reading of the Scriptures in the vernacular, and I believe that is indeed an authorized translation, though I can't say for sure. I am pretty okay with the idea of it as long as it's sung and not in the NAB translation, but I'm pretty sure our TLM priest would prefer to stick to Latin.