FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Trying to convert a Pentecostal.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anyone have any good historical references against the heresies that the Council of Nicea changed the verse in St. Matthew about baptizing in the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost and made up the Blessed Trinity and that Eusebius (he doesn't say which) used "in My Name"?
Where they get this stuff, I'll never know.
(10-13-2009, 12:57 AM)GodFirst Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone have any good historical references against the heresies that the Council of Nicea changed the verse in St. Matthew about baptizing in the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost and made up the Blessed Trinity and that Eusebius (he doesn't say which) used "in My Name"?

In the Bible, baptism is referred as being in the name of Jesus, but this is to show it being different from the other baptisms (of St. John, for instance).

Debating is useless, but if you must:

http://www.scripturecatholic.com/
Are you sure that this person is a Pentecostal?

He or she sounds more like a Unitarian to me, challenging the doctrine of the Holy Trinity and all...

Also, I second what Rosarium stated.  Scripturecatholic.com is an OUTSTANDING website which is ran by one of the best apologists out there - John Salza.
(10-13-2009, 12:57 AM)GodFirst Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone have any good historical references against the heresies that the Council of Nicea changed the verse in St. Matthew about baptizing in the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost and made up the Blessed Trinity and that Eusebius (he doesn't say which) used "in My Name"?

Eusebius of Cesarea (256-340)

Oration in praise of Constantine Chapter 16 8 http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/2504.htm

also Church History Book 3 Chapter 5 2 http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/250103.htm

Both are apparently a similar, but different quotes from Jesus sayings. Eusebius says

"Go and make disciples of all the nations in my name."

This is not the form of baptism

The baptismal formula is recorded as early as in the end of first century in the didache

Chapter 7. Concerning Baptism. And concerning baptism, baptize this way: Having first said all these things, baptize into the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, in living water. But if you have no living water, baptize into other water; and if you cannot do so in cold water, do so in warm. But if you have neither, pour out water three times upon the head into the name of Father and Son and Holy Spirit. But before the baptism let the baptizer fast, and the baptized, and whoever else can; but you shall order the baptized to fast one or two days before.
http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/te...berts.html

Oh, and change your mindset.  We don't do any conversions.  The Good Lord does the conversions.  All we can do is grease the wheels, then pray that people be open to the Lord when He calls them.

This may sound like a minor and trivial point.  I assure you it is not.
(10-13-2009, 11:37 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, and change your mindset.  We don't do any conversions.  The Good Lord does the conversions.  All we can do is grease the wheels, then pray that people be open to the Lord when He calls them.

Actually we dont do conversions because they are unnecessery. You see since Vatican II the pentacostals are part of the Catholic church just not in full communion.
*sarcasm off*
(10-14-2009, 02:29 AM)Baskerville Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-13-2009, 11:37 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, and change your mindset.  We don't do any conversions.  The Good Lord does the conversions.  All we can do is grease the wheels, then pray that people be open to the Lord when He calls them.

Actually we dont do conversions because they are unnecessery. You see since Vatican II the pentacostals are part of the Catholic church just not in full communion.
*sarcasm off*

I agree with both of you, eh? :)