FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Gregorian Chant for TLM in San Antonio, TX?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The fate of Gregorian chant at the Traditional Latin Mass at St. Pius X in San Antonio, TX currently hangs in the balance.  The pastor is trying to decide what to do.  There are several of us who attend the TLM at St. Pius X who sing Gregorian chant independently, and we practice weekly.  In fact, four of them (myself included) are Fisheaters.  Below, you will find recordings of some propers we sang, along with the solemn Salve Regina.  If you attend the Latin Mass in San Antonio, please listen to them, and if you believe they represent a significant improvement over the current music program, please make noise with the pastor of St. Pius X!  He needs to hear from you!  If you would like a form letter to sign and send to him, I have prepared one.  Contact me directly.  Also, if you know anyone who goes to that Mass and is discontent with the current quality of music, please send them here!

Also, if you are interested in singing chant at St. Pius X (men or women welcome), please contact me directly.  We have singers with widely varying levels of experience, so don't feel intimidated!

The rest of you Fisheaters out there, please keep us in your prayers!

Y'all sound marvelous!

I never got to hear you in person but I would always attend the TLM when I came to San Antonio. I no  longer will be doing that as both my parents, who lived there, passed away this spring. :'(

Here is another clip from St. Pius X church for you :

Dear Lady of Fatima sung by the Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate “the Seven Joys of the Immaculate” Choir. from Hail Mary Volume 2. Images from Our Lady of Fatima Procession from St. Pius X Catholic Church in the Archdiocese of San Antonio, Texas. 2009.

[Image: 3684451214_5720184aae.jpg]
Yes, please keep Schola Peregrina in your prayers, that we be allowed to sing at the TLM at St. Pius X.  :pray:

Magdalene, sorry to hear about your parents. Also, thank you for sharing the link, very beautiful.

St. Pius's own Deacon Pat Cunningham has had an article of his, relating to the importance of Gregorian chant, published on the New Liturgical Movement blog just yesterday: http://www.newliturgicalmovement.org/200...lical.html

As I said in the combox, it's ironic that despite his vociferous support for chant, the internal politics at the church with their established choir has effectively banned an all-male schola's right to exist there. It's also ironic that the schola is welcome to sing at Novus Ordo churches around town, including the cathedral at the archbishop's Masses (and we were even invited to sing at the televised Masses at the chancery office)..... but NOT at the local TLM!

I don't normally like to accuse the devil of being directly responsible for something going wrong in my life, but there is definitely some diabolical influence at work here. It's redonkulous.
So, what exactly is the regular St. Pius X's choir's problem? Are they the ones that currently sing for the TLM, or what?
(10-15-2009, 07:24 AM)SoleRedemption Wrote: [ -> ]So, what exactly is the regular St. Pius X's choir's problem? Are they the ones that currently sing for the TLM, or what?

Yes, though "singing" is certainly too generous a word for what they do up there. I don't care if any of them are reading what I'm saying; while realizing that talent is not as important as a humble heart, they nevertheless compose the worst church choir I have ever heard in my entire life, and that's even including Lifeteen and extremely low-church Protestant groups.

I don't think the choir as a whole has a problem with the schola, but there is apparently a small vocal minority within that group which has successfully convinced the pastor (who is not one of the priests that celebrates the TLM) that we are a problem. The "problem" in particular is our insistence on keeping men only to sing the Propers of the Mass and upholding an ideal of the ecclesiastical choir of male servers in choir dress (cassock and surplice). This is despite the fact that at one time when we were singing last year, at the beginning of the TLM's history at St. Pius X, we had compromised for a time and allowed women to join us....... BUT NO ONE DID. This vocal minority is very influential in the parish, and goes to one of my biggest complaints about the state of the Church post-VII: the Church is effectively run by cliques of old women. It's sad.
Those recordings are absolutely beautiful! Great job! I believe most parishes would kill to have a choir such as that. Prayers that God will be glorified properly.  :pray:
(10-15-2009, 10:11 AM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-15-2009, 07:24 AM)SoleRedemption Wrote: [ -> ]So, what exactly is the regular St. Pius X's choir's problem? Are they the ones that currently sing for the TLM, or what?

Yes, though "singing" is certainly too generous a word for what they do up there. I don't care if any of them are reading what I'm saying; while realizing that talent is not as important as a humble heart, they nevertheless compose the worst church choir I have ever heard in my entire life, and that's even including Lifeteen and extremely low-church Protestant groups.

I don't think the choir as a whole has a problem with the schola, but there is apparently a small vocal minority within that group which has successfully convinced the pastor (who is not one of the priests that celebrates the TLM) that we are a problem. The "problem" in particular is our insistence on keeping men only to sing the Propers of the Mass and upholding an ideal of the ecclesiastical choir of male servers in choir dress (cassock and surplice). This is despite the fact that at one time when we were singing last year, at the beginning of the TLM's history at St. Pius X, we had compromised for a time and allowed women to join us....... BUT NO ONE DID. This vocal minority is very influential in the parish, and goes to one of my biggest complaints about the state of the Church post-VII: the Church is effectively run by cliques of old women. It's sad.

Yep. Post-VII pastors have no guts when a woman pulls the gender card.  I really don't even know why this woman goes to the TLM.  She speaks disrespectfully to Father, she disagrees with him on veils, and she thinks children don't benefit when mothers choose to stay home with the kids instead of work.  It's really bizarre.
(10-15-2009, 10:33 AM)BrevisVir55 Wrote: [ -> ]Those recordings are absolutely beautiful! Great job! I believe most parishes would kill to have a choir such as that. Prayers that God will be glorified properly.  :pray:

Thanks for the encouragement.  We're just going to keep plugging along until we're wanted!