FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: All Souls (Go to Heaven) Day
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Today the Novus Ordo celebrates the great feast of All Souls Go to Heaven Day.  Throw on your favorite white chasuble, Padre, it's time to celebrate the lives of those who have gone before us.
I picked up my new breviary, the suggested hymn for morning prayer is "Jesus Christ is Risen Today".  You can recite part of the Dies Irae some time though, if you feel like it.

It's great to have options, isn't it? 

"Novus Ordo Collect" Wrote:As we renew our faith in Your Son,
whom You raised from the dead,
strengthen our hope
that all our departed brothers and sisters
will share in His resurrection,
They're all in Heaven, we just don't hope hard enough.  Hope harder, people! 
And renew!  Renew, keep renewing!  Everything must be new!

Compare to:
"TLM Collect" Wrote:grant to thy servants and handmaidens a place of refreshment, the happiness of rest, and the brightness of Thy light
Wherein we actually pray for the departed.

Sometimes I don't know why I wake up in the morning.
I heard Mass twice this morning (in the Ordinary Form), and neither homily was as you described.  One was about praying for the dead, and the other was about Purgatory.

In Christo Rege,
    ~Steven
Steven, may God bless both of the Priests, especially the one who spoke about Purgatory.
tim
Well maybe our prayers and Masses will release a few souls to go to heaven today! :)

I attended two TLMs back to back. Gorgeous black and gold vestments.

Here is something for  you:

All Souls ~ Lux aeterna

http://airmaria.com/2009/11/02/all-souls-lux-aeterna/

4 minute chant video

Let eternal light shine on them, Lord,
as with Your saints in eternity,
because You are merciful.
Grant them eternal rest, Lord,
and let perpetual light shine on them,
because You are merciful. -
-
Lux aeterna luceat eis, Domine,
cum sanctis tuis in aeternum,
quia pius es.
Requiem aeternum dona eis, Domine,
et Lux perpetua luceat eis,
cum Sanctus tuis in aeternum,
quia pius es.
Requiem aeternam dona eis, Domine,
et lux perpetua luceat eis.
(11-02-2009, 01:40 PM)Magdalene Wrote: [ -> ]Well maybe our prayers and Masses will release a few souls to go to heaven today! :)

I attended two TLMs back to back. Gorgeous black and gold vestments.

Here is something for  you:

All Souls ~ Lux aeterna

http://airmaria.com/2009/11/02/all-souls-lux-aeterna/

4 minute chant video

Let eternal light shine on them, Lord,
because You are merciful.
Grant them eternal rest, Lord,
and let perpetual light shine on them,
because You are merciful. -
-
Lux aeterna luceat eis, Domine,
cum sanctis tuis in aeternum,
quia pius es.
Requiem aeternum dona eis, Domine,
et Lux perpetua luceat eis,
cum Sanctus tuis in aeternum,
quia pius es.
Requiem aeternam dona eis, Domine,
et lux perpetua luceat eis.

how beautiful!
(11-02-2009, 09:50 AM)Louis_Martin Wrote: [ -> ]Sometimes I don't know why I wake up in the morning.

If it really bothers you that much, you could start praying to St. Joseph.  You know, the Patron for a Happy Death.

Quote:Prayer for a Happy Death

Prayer written by Cardinal Newman. Pius IX attached an indulgence on Sept. 24, 1846.

O my Lord and Savior, support me in my last hour by the strong arms of Thy sacraments, and the fragrance of Thy consolations. Let Thy absolving words be said over me, and the holy oil sign and seal me; and let your own body be my food, and Thy blood my sprinkling; and let Thy Mother Mary come to me, and my angel whisper peace to me, and Thy glorious saints and my own dear patrons smile on me, that in and through them all I may die as I desire to live, in Thy Church, in Thy faith, and in Thy love. Amen.

My Jesus, mercy.

Maybe you'll get lucky.
I've offered Mass twice today, with third yet on the schedule.  (Every priest has the privilege of offering three Masses on All Souls' Day.)  I wore a black chasuble and a black stole, and I used a black chalice veil and a black burse.  I preached on Purgatory, as well.

I usually wear my black chasuble for funerals, and I've never gotten a complaint about it.
(11-02-2009, 09:50 AM)Louis_Martin Wrote: [ -> ]
"Novus Ordo Collect" Wrote:As we renew our faith in Your Son,
whom You raised from the dead,
strengthen our hope
that all our departed brothers and sisters
will share in His resurrection,
They're all in Heaven, we just don't hope hard enough.  Hope harder, people! 
And renew!  Renew, keep renewing!  Everything must be new!

"Liturgy of the Hours Prayer for 21 August, Feast of Pope St, Pius X" Wrote:Father,
to defend the Catholic faith
and to make all things new in Christ,
you filled St. Pius X
with heavenly wisdom and apostolic courage.
May his example and teaching
lead us to the reward of eternal life.
Grant this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever.

Yes, a wonderful spin! Because, well, the Pope of the Blessed Sacrament was all about "renewal."

Wait a minute...

Didn't he have an oath about that or something?
Louis_Martin Wrote:Today the Novus Ordo celebrates the great feast of All Souls Go to Heaven Day.

It is? In my 1972 Latin edition of The Liturgy of the Hours, the basis of the four-volume English edition, calls today "The Commemoration of All the Faithful Dead" (my translation).

Quote:I picked up my new breviary, the suggested hymn for morning prayer is "Jesus Christ is Risen Today".

What's wrong with that? Today is a day of hope and mercy. One of the Epistles in today's Latin Mass, which incidentally one of the options given for the First Lesson in the Office of Readings, has S. Paul going on and on about the hope we have in the Resurrection of Christ.

Quote:You can recite part of the Dies Irae some time though, if you feel like it.

If the Dies Irae speaks to you, then say it. It is a beautiful element of the Roman liturgy. Some folk dispair after reading it, though.

Here was the mind of the Consilium in their decision to downplay the poem:

Archbishop Annibale Bugnini Wrote:They got rid of texts that smacked of a negative spirituality inherited from the Middle Ages. Thus they removed such familiar and even beloved texts as the Libera me, Domine, the Dies Iræ, and others that overemphasized judgment, fear, and despair. These they replaced with texts urging Christian hope and arguably giving more effective expression to faith in the resurrection.

"Novus Ordo Collect" Wrote:... They're all in Heaven, we just don't hope hard enough.  Hope harder, people!

Hope is a great virtue. What's wrong with a prayer which extols Hope? Also, be wary of the English translation of the actual Latin Collects. Oftentimes the translations are quite different than the original.

"TLM Collect" Wrote:grant to thy servants and handmaidens a place of refreshment, the happiness of rest, and the brightness of Thy light

The above prayer is also all about Hope, so I don't see what you're getting at.

Quote:Yes, a wonderful spin! Because, well, the Pope of the Blessed Sacrament was all about "renewal."

I don't know how familiar you are with the life of S. Pius X, but that pope's motto was, "Instuare omnia in Christo." The verse was taken from the Bible and it can be translated in a number of ways, including "To make all things new in Christ." One can also translate "Instuare" as "renew" or "restore." That is the origin of the phrase which you see in the Collect from the revised liturgy.
Ah, Credo, ever the contrarian. 

First of all, the average Catholic in the pews or in the sanctuary nowadays is not going to being pulling out a Latin breviary, sorry to say.  The ideas given in the hymn choice make All Souls Day into a second All Saints Day.

I was speaking of the fact that we are not praying for them now, but just hoping.  The point is, the Novus Ordo is centered on us.  We're asking Christ to console us in the Mass for the dead.  Now, I didn't say that wasn't admirable, but we lose something when that's all we ever ask.  The collect doesn't pray for the departed anymore.
The TLM prayer isn't about giving us hope, but about completing for the souls in purgatory what we hold in hope.  It's completely different.

Never go with what is acceptable, only with what is greatest.  Whether or not something meets the bare minimum, that doesn't make it the ideal choicle.  Hope is good, but praying for the dead is good too.  We pray for hope a lot in the Novus Ordo.  Maybe we should have a day for the dead.
Pages: 1 2 3