FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: The Harry Potter Debate
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
(11-03-2009, 04:23 PM)Rosarium Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-03-2009, 04:17 PM)CanadianCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]I  :love: HP....lol we should start a pants thread next! nothing funner than  :deadhorse:

I like HP as well. I saw their new netbooks and they look very well made.

Don't buy one. Their laptops are junk.
(11-03-2009, 04:54 PM)piabee Wrote: [ -> ]Don't buy one. Their laptops are junk.

Finally, the lone voice of reason! 

+ fish!
(11-03-2009, 04:55 PM)Texican Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-03-2009, 04:54 PM)piabee Wrote: [ -> ]Don't buy one. Their laptops are junk.

Finally, the lone voice of reason! 

+ fish!

They lost my first one when I sent it in after it crashed, and the replacement has been back to tech support three times now. I'm just waiting until the extended warranty they gave me for all the fuss and bother expires.
(11-03-2009, 04:44 PM)Texican Wrote: [ -> ]I have 3 HPs, one of them a laptop - 4, if you count the one that's in pieces - and I prefer my Thinkpad.

I had/have a Thinkpad as well. Very good machines. If I were to get a mobile computer for serious work, I'd get a Thinkpad again (the one I "have" is currently being used by my sister. She is too weird to take it as a gift so I'm lending it to her until I can find someone to buy it. Don't tell her, but I have no intention of selling it).

However, I know laptops are horrible investments. They are limited, fragile and doomed from the moment they are conceived in some engineer's brain. So, for anything other than a Thinkpad, a laptop should be cheap, highly useful, very light, and have a long lasting battery. At the moment, this is the "netbook" range, and currently for me it is a Dell Inspiron Mini 10v (with modifications). Perfect laptops. It has all the hardware necessary for being useful, it is inexpensive and I won't cry if it suddenly stolen/crushed in a year. Thinkpads, as far as I can figure, defy this logic and last forever...no matter what happens to them. However, Thinkpads are pricey. Not something I'd want stolen and something anyone with taste would steal.

Quote:They lost my first one when I sent it in after it crashed, and the replacement has been back to tech support three times now. I'm just waiting until the extended warranty they gave me for all the fuss and bother expires.
See, this is a difference. OEMs like HP and Dell sell ignorance, not computers. For someone who is beyond their target client, they are very good deals because we never send them back (except for a full refund), we do not talk to tech support (and if they call us...we pepper them with questions which we can answer but they can't until they learn never to talk to us again) and we never buy warranties. I view OEM systems as a collection of hardware components, not a system. I do not usually use the OS they send (and, if I somehow paid for it, I get a refund on that) either.

However, for a netbook, I have found the Lenovo IdeaPads very enticing.

EDIT: I get the Dells because they offered Linux on them and I had the extra money at the time. I ordered the first Ubuntu netbook before it was released (Dell Inspiron Mini 9) to show support for Tux.
(11-03-2009, 04:41 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-03-2009, 04:23 PM)Rosarium Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-03-2009, 04:17 PM)CanadianCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]I  :love: HP....lol we should start a pants thread next! nothing funner than  :deadhorse:

I like HP as well. I saw their new netbooks and they look very well made.

I like my HP laptop.  Good workhorse, even three years on.

What model is it?

I only would buy their netbooks possibly. For large laptops, Thinkpads only.

I remember when I first got my Thinkpad...I sat on it by accident. Didn't hurt it though :)
(11-03-2009, 05:23 PM)Rosarium Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:They lost my first one when I sent it in after it crashed, and the replacement has been back to tech support three times now. I'm just waiting until the extended warranty they gave me for all the fuss and bother expires.
See, this is a difference. OEMs like HP and Dell sell ignorance, not computers. For someone who is beyond their target client, they are very good deals because we never send them back (except for a full refund), we do not talk to tech support (and if they call us...we pepper them with questions which we can answer but they can't until they learn never to talk to us again) and we never buy warranties. I view OEM systems as a collection of hardware components, not a system. I do not usually use the OS they send (and, if I somehow paid for it, I get a refund on that) either.

However, for a netbook, I have found the Lenovo IdeaPads very enticing.

Didn't buy the warranty; it was supposed to make me feel better for being stuck with their product (that was after hours of nearly crying/screaming on the phone, which apparently the only way to get them to do anything).

My sister just ordered an IdeaPad. It should be arriving any day now.
(11-03-2009, 05:29 PM)piabee Wrote: [ -> ]Didn't buy the warranty; it was supposed to make me feel better for being stuck with their product (that was after hours of nearly crying/screaming on the phone, which apparently the only way to get them to do anything).
What was the type of problem you had with it?

I am always firm with these matters. I don't argue with them. If they don't deliver, they give me my money back.

Quote:My sister just ordered an IdeaPad. It should be arriving any day now.

Cool. What model did she get? I just did a quick look at their current line up. It is somewhat disheartening to see all those "Broadcom" wireless cards (for laptops, I only get systems with Intet chips for video, sound and wireless).
The Thinkpads seem to last forever - we have one that's in pieces, running W-98, and it's still going strong.  We've had really good luck with Toughbooks, also.  While we haven't run over them with a vehicle, they have been bounced around, and still, they've held up quite well, for the last couple of years.
(11-03-2009, 05:35 PM)Rosarium Wrote: [ -> ]What was the type of problem you had with it?

Which time? Ha. Stopped booting up, overheated, memory crashed, backlight kept turning off (boy was it fun explaining that one), etc. I tried being polite, and firm, but they insisted on treating me like some kind of moron. The best way to get results: say you're never buying another one of their products. It was almost funny hearing him get all concerned.

(11-03-2009, 05:35 PM)Rosarium Wrote: [ -> ]Cool. What model did she get? I just did a quick look at their current line up. It is somewhat disheartening to see all those "Broadcom" wireless cards (for laptops, I only get systems with Intet chips for video, sound and wireless).

IdeaPad U350 - 296323U. She had a coupon so it was a pretty good deal.
(11-03-2009, 05:47 PM)piabee Wrote: [ -> ]IdeaPad U350 - 296323U. She had a coupon so it was a pretty good deal.

Nice. Has Intel wireless too.

When she gets it, I'll give you $50 to swipe it for me. If she reads this, then this is just a joke.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11