FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Attending Protestant Weddings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
What are the Church's laws concerning attending Protestant weddings?
It depends on whose getting married. Is it two Protestants getting married in a Protestant wedding, or is one of them Catholic, ex-Catholic?

In cases of two Protestants getting married, the Church allows Catholics to go to their wedding and service, given that the Catholic only attends and does not take an active part in their false worship and religion.
A Catholic would not follow their gestures of worship. A Catholic sits down, but does not keel when they kneel, prays when they pray their prayers, or any other type of active participation.
My brother is getting married.  He was baptized Catholic, but like me he was not really raised in the Faith and unfortunately became Protestant.  His bride to be was Methodist.  They now attend some type of Evangelical thing.  However, my brother strangely acknowleges the Catholic Church to be the Church founded by Christ and St. Peter as the first Pope. Crazy
(11-10-2009, 03:41 PM)AveMaria82 Wrote: [ -> ]My brother is getting married.  He was baptized Catholic, but like me he was not really raised in the Faith and unfortunately became Protestant.  His bride to be was Methodist.  They now attend some type of Evangelical thing.  However, my brother strangely acknowleges the Catholic Church to be the Church founded by Christ and St. Peter as the first Pope. Crazy
I am sorry but when one of those who are are getting married in a Protestant wedding is Catholic, the case is more serious. The Church does not allow Catholics to attend the weddings of ex-Catholics in a Protestant wedding. A Catholic would be denying his faith by attending it.

Catholics are required by Canon law to get married in the Church. If they do not, that marriage is invalid. A Catholic getting married in a Protestant church has an invalid marriage. They are not married. They walked in boyfriend and girlfriend, and walked out of the service boyfriend and girlfriend. Attending that service would be a celebration of their fornication.

Here is a sermon on it by an FSSP priest from AudioSancto:
Marriage: Rules on Marriage (Part 1)
http://www.audiosancto.org/sermon/200705...art-1.html
(11-10-2009, 03:41 PM)AveMaria82 Wrote: [ -> ]My brother is getting married.  He was baptized Catholic, but like me he was not really raised in the Faith and unfortunately became Protestant.  His bride to be was Methodist.  They now attend some type of Evangelical thing.  

I attended my father's invalid remarriage/rewedding.

What's a daughter to do?  Shrug
(11-10-2009, 04:18 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: [ -> ]I attended my father's invalid remarriage/rewedding.
What's a daughter to do?  Shrug

I recommend everyone listen to the talk above. There is no problem with you because it already happened. A Catholic can only get married in the Church or have a dispensation from the bishop not to.

When family members put us in these kinds of situations, we have to side with Christ. They are forcing us to choose sides and we must always choose the side of Christ and his Church. We tell our mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers that we love them, but we love Christ more, and that we always choose Christ when they force us.
Luke 12:49-53:

"I have come to set the earth on fire, and how I wish it were already blazing! There is a baptism with which I must be baptized, and how great is my anguish until it is accomplished! Do you think that I have come to establish peace on the earth? No, I tell you, but rather division.
From now on a household of five will be divided, three against two and two against three; a father will be divided against his son and a son against his father, a mother against her daughter and a daughter against her mother, a mother-in-law against her daughter-in-law and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law."
Thanks SaintRafael.  Please pray for me and my family.
(11-10-2009, 04:41 PM)AveMaria82 Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks SaintRafael.  Please pray for me and my family.
I will. I know it is tough. I had close cousins in these exact situations. I hope our convictions can somehow convert fallen away family members.
I know it's a difficult situation.  My sister has announced that she is getting married outside of the Church.  I told her I would not be able to attend.  Now I'm looked at as the one who dropped the turd in the punch bowl.

SaintRafael, you are mistaken.  Catholics may not attend non-Catholic weddings (or funerals or other worship services).  Not only may they not attend the wedding, they may not attend the reception nor send a gift.

I think the analogy used in the audiosancto sermon goes like this:  If someone asked you to take part in a murder, you should, rightly, refuse.  It's not okay for you to say that you would meet them afterward at the pub and buy drinks to celebrate; thereby condoning the crime.

Hold fast to your confession.

Lisa, I hope you've confessed.  What about your father.  He is now in an adulterous relationship with a woman to whom he is not legally married.  This is no different than Patrick Kennedy telling the Church that their position on abortion is wrong and that he is "no less a Catholic."  Just sayin.... Pray

Edit to add:  No different except for the fact that he is, presumably, not a public figure.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6