FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Mass in the vernacular
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Im speaking of the Tridentine Mass, not the Novus Ordo. Explain in a reply. Smile
i'm coming from an eastern perspective, but the only reason you have latin in the mass at all is because you dropped greek for the vernacular  Wink
(11-13-2009, 01:25 AM)Melkite Wrote: [ -> ]i'm coming from an eastern perspective, but the only reason you have latin in the mass at all is because you dropped greek for the vernacular  Wink
fair enough
It should all be in the vernacular, if Latin is the vernacular.
(11-13-2009, 01:33 AM)Rosarium Wrote: [ -> ]It should all be in the vernacular, if Latin is the vernacular.
Why exclusively Latin?
(11-13-2009, 01:34 AM)serviam Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-13-2009, 01:33 AM)Rosarium Wrote: [ -> ]It should all be in the vernacular, if Latin is the vernacular.
Why exclusively Latin?

Aside from the brief Greek bits, because that is how it is written. It doesn't exist in other languages. It would be like asking should the original works of Shakespeare be read in English or Italian.

I would concede that the Mass of the Catechumens be said in the vernacular for missionary work only, but personally I think we should keep the Latin.  Latin is the language of the Church, and it is unifies us.
LOL
The OT and Gospel readings should be in the vernacular the rest in Latin.  
(11-13-2009, 02:17 AM)information Wrote: [ -> ]The OT and Gospel readings should be in the vernacular the rest in Latin.  

I go along with this.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6