FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Protestant "Inquisition"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello to all!

I have to prepare a lecture about "Black Legends against the Church"  in my university. In this lecture am I trying to demonstrate that
Protestants were also "intolerant" and that their massacres against Catholics were even bloodier  (by far) than all the executions of the Roman Inquisition during all the years it functioned.

But I lack "hard facts" and numbers!

Therefore  I  am looking about Information pertaining the Protestant violent persecution of Catholics back in the 16th Century, specially during the English Reformation. Do you know about some on-line bibliography about this subject? Specially a "death toll" of people killed by Henry VIII and Elizabeth I  (Pilgrimage of Grace, etc...)?

I need that information now!! Please!!  Pray

Thanks in advance!

Don't know any on-line sources, but check out author Thomas Woods.  He has a great book out  "How the Catholic Church Built Western Civilization".  He debunks all sorts of common myths in the book - such as Galileo.  I think he mentions the Inquisition in the book, but I'm not sure.  It has been a while since I read it.  Even if it is not in that book, maybe he has written another book you can use or lists further reading in the bibliography. 

Hope this helps or gives you a place to start!
One thing you might mention is that the Puritans in England were the main ones who persecuted "witches". They even had a Witchfinder General.
Research the English Martyrs. Thomas More, Margaret Clitherow, etc.  Dissolution of the monasteries - many were torn down and used to build the town nearby. The big advantage is that these sources will be in English!

Then there's the Cristero Revolution in Mexico. Check out a biography of Padre Miguel Pro. But that's not really Protestant persecution, it's Masonic.

Check out the Catholic Encyclopedia at newadvent.org. The article on Persecution ought to give you a few leads to follow.
(11-18-2009, 11:39 AM)Felix Wrote: [ -> ]Hello to all!

I have to prepare a lecture about "Black Legends against the Church"  in my university. In this lecture am I trying to demonstrate that
Protestants were also "intolerant" and that their massacres against Catholics were even bloodier  (by far) than all the executions of the Roman Inquisition during all the years it functioned.

But I lack "hard facts" and numbers!

Therefore  I  am looking about Information pertaining the Protestant violent persecution of Catholics back in the 16th Century, specially during the English Reformation. Do you know about some on-line bibliography about this subject? Specially a "death toll" of people killed by Henry VIII and Elizabeth I  (Pilgrimage of Grace, etc...)?

I need that information now!! Please!!   Pray

Thanks in advance!

Here's part 1 of a lecture from Dr. Warren Carroll  "The Myth of the Spanish Inquisition."

There are some recommendations and links to articles at the bottom of the page linked below.

http://www.traditioninaction.org/Questio...Works.html

And here is another articles:

http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/ma...181026.asp

Here's another lecture:

Tan books has a fantastic book by William Thomas Walsh called Charaters of the Inquisition that is amazing in its research. 

There is also a book by a protestant who sides with catholics in the atrocities that occured under Henry 8 and Liz 1.  His name was WIlliam Cobbett, but his book is harder to find.  It is a quick read, and he lived closer in time to the events then most historians.  For example, he documents all the hypocracies of Cramner including about his hidden wives (2!) and about the rumor that he hid one in a box when moving her to England.  To this day, historians are still trying to quash that one Smile  You may be able to pull some of that one up on google books. 

Good luck!
Thanks to all of you, my dear friends!!!! God bless!!!!

All those resources are wonderful and will help me a lot!!!!

Pages: 1 2