FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Blessed JP2?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Oh dear ... :(

http://www.catholicculture.org/news/head...oryid=4630

Quote:The cause for beatification of Pope John Paul II has cleared a crucial hurdle, and the Polish Pontiff could now be beatified with the approval of a miracle through his intercession, according to informed sources at the Vatican.

Respected Vatican journalist Andrea Tornielli reported this week that the Congregation for the Causes of Saints has voted to approve a decree testifying to the "heroic virtue" of John Paul II. When that decree is officially approved by Pope Benedict XVI, John Paul would acquire the title of "venerable" and would be eligible for beatification as soon as Vatican officials attest to the authenticity of a miracle attributed to his intercession.

The Vatican has neither confirmed nor denied Tornielli's report. However officials have acknowledged that the Congregation for the Causes of Saints has met and considered the dossier on John Paul II. The decisions of the Congregation are not ordinarily announced until the Pope ratifies them at an ordinary consistory of the cardinals present in Rome. Such a session would probably place in December.

Several miracles attributed to the intercession of the late Pontiff are already being scrutinized by Church officials. Reported miracles are examined first by a team of Vatican-appointed doctors, who are asked to rule out any possibility of a natural explanation, and then by theologians before being referred to the Congregation for the Causes of Saints and ultimately to the Pope for final approval.

Ordinarily the Church does not allow the opening of a cause for beatification until 5 years after the candidate's death. Pope Benedict waived that waiting period in the case of John Paul II, citing his predecessor's worldwide reputation for holiness. If the reports from Rome are accurate, the Vatican might announce plans for the beatification of John Paul II barely 5 years after the late Pope's death.
I think what everyone should realise is that all this talk of hurdles and the beatification process is just that - talk.  JP2's beatification and canonisation is basically a done deal.  It's no longer a question of if it will happen, but when it will happen.

Unfortunately, there is no one who has any bearing on the process who is willing to scrutinise his life and bring up some of the less saintly things he did, and even if there was, I suspect very strongly they would be basically told to keep quiet.

Bring back the devils advocate, wait 50 years until the beatification process isn't run by people who were personally involved with JP2, and then take another look at it.  Or better yet, get realistic about all the scandals and travesties he was a party to, and close his case for good.

Blessings,
:pray:
Steve
(11-19-2009, 04:15 AM)Stevo Wrote: [ -> ]and close his case for good.
Maybe they should just give you a call  :laughing:

I agree with you about the devils advocate and waiting period
Don't be too harsh on them, the Novus Ordo religion needs its saints too!
John Paul II himself suppressed the Devil' Advocate job in the canonization trials.
In that case, possibly I myself have odds to be canonized too after my death, if somebody skilfully brings my cause . Don't worry I have no such pretention, that's only a joke.
I was told that there were a lot of things preventing Bl Escriva Ballguer to be made a saint, but JPII was obstinate and he succeeded since nobody could oppose him.
The main obstacle I think that might prevent JPII to be canonized is the way he handled the paedophilia in the priesthood. This was and still is a huge scandal of which nobody can yet assess the consequences.
(11-19-2009, 09:29 AM)savienu Wrote: [ -> ]http://www.thestar.com/news/world/articl...ood-report

More on the subject...

The article states that he could be Beatified in October 2010, but then states his printed works will have to be scoured for orthodoxy, which could be lengthy, as he was an ordained minister for 59 years.

First, they wanted to Beatify him on April 2, 2010, which they can't do, because that falls on Good Friday. Now, it's October 2010. They really want to Beatify and Canonize the revolution he helped to foster. Why the rush? Are they afraid something might be found that would torpedo his cause, a la Pope Paul VI? Which reminds me; someone should write a book entitled "Mai Subito: Never a Saint," detailing why this man should not be raised to the altars. There are plenty of reasons why, too. There have been far worthier Popes who have not been Beatified or Canonized.
(11-19-2009, 09:17 AM)maso Wrote: [ -> ]The main obstacle I think that might prevent JPII to be canonized is the way he handled the paedophilia in the priesthood. This was and still is a huge scandal of which nobody can yet assess the consequences.
Simple: they'll shift the blame elsewhere.  On every bad issue the response is, "Oh, he just didn't know."  He's going to be a saint.  People are already putting halos on icons of him, they've made huge statues.  There's too much invested in him, in the worship of his personality.  He may have kissed a koran ("he didn't know") and had heathens offer their sacrifices at Assisi ("he meant well"), but none of that will even cross the mind of these people.  He's too valuable a face for the newchurch to not put a crown on him.
(11-19-2009, 12:30 PM)CrusaderKing Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-19-2009, 09:29 AM)savienu Wrote: [ -> ]http://www.thestar.com/news/world/articl...ood-report

More on the subject...

The article states that he could be Beatified in October 2010, but then states his printed works will have to be scoured for orthodoxy, which could be lengthy, as he was an ordained minister for 59 years.

First, they wanted to Beatify him on April 2, 2010, which they can't do, because that falls on Good Friday. Now, it's October 2010. They really want to Beatify and Canonize the revolution he helped to foster. Why the rush? Are they afraid something might be found that would torpedo his cause, a la Pope Paul VI? Which reminds me; someone should write a book entitled "Mai Subito: Never a Saint," detailing why this man should not be raised to the altars. There are plenty of reasons why, too. There have been far worthier Popes who have not been Beatified or Canonized.

Not "Mai subito", but rather "Mai santo" don't you think so?
Perhaps we should compose prayers to John Paul II asking for his intercession. Wouldn't it be amazing if a miraculous event involving one of us led to JP2's beatification?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16