FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: The Vatican and the Lefebvrists: Not a Negotiation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
http://www.archden.org/index.cfm/ID/2952

The SSPX has to agree to things that are not dogma?  That's how I read Weigel's interpretation.
I wouldn't get my information from Weigel if I were you.
Indeed.
Fair enough.  So you don't think there's any truth to what he says about the way the Vatican is "conversing" with the SSPX?
I don't like it when people say "Lefebvrist" as if it were some kind of cult.  ::)

I'm not a Lefebvrist,

I'm a Roman Catholic who adheres to tradition through the Priestly Fraternity of the Society of St. Pius X and is thankful for Msgr. Lefebvre's  efforts to keep the TLM alive. ;)
(11-19-2009, 10:32 AM)JonW Wrote: [ -> ]http://www.archden.org/index.cfm/ID/2952

The SSPX has to agree to things that are not dogma?  That's how I read Weigel's interpretation.

Weigel is sick, we all know that.

However, he does state the obvious: in the mind of the N.O. Church there's nothing really to be corrected and these talks should only be viewed as an "act of charity" of the Roman Pontiff to bring the dissenters in conformity to the - and I quote - "mid-20th century reform of Catholic thought".
I think relying on his opinions is about as accurate as relying on tea leaves to predict the outcome.
(11-19-2009, 11:16 AM)JonW Wrote: [ -> ]Fair enough.  So you don't think there's any truth to what he says about the way the Vatican is "conversing" with the SSPX?

No, the guy in unreliable...I think both sides are honestly wanting to come to an agreement.
Which brings me to my real question.  (Apologies if this is now common knowledge.)  Does anyone actually know the state of the talks?  Where might we go to find out more details?  If this is merely an opinion piece of Weigel's based on his understanding or misunderstanding of the way he thinks the talks might go, do we have a more authoritative source?  Maybe I should just await the outcome?  If so, any ideas on when that might be?  Thanks.
Some pieces of information might leak now and then but most of them are unreliable. Just wait for official statements both from Rome and the SSPX. In the meantime, I urge you to pray ceaselessly for the success of these talks and the return of Tradition to the Church and - please! - stop reading Weigel.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6