FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Pope John Paul II
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:"He would punish himself and in particular just before he ordained bishops and priests," he said.

So, he knew he was appointing bad Bishops and priests and yet he still did it anyway. I don't think "Forgive me Father, I am about to sin." works very well.

Petertherock Wrote:So, he knew he was appointing bad Bishops and priests and yet he still did it anyway. I don't think "Forgive me Father, I am about to sin." works very well.

::)
(11-23-2009, 06:32 PM)Petertherock Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:"He would punish himself and in particular just before he ordained bishops and priests," he said.

So, he knew he was appointing bad Bishops and priests and yet he still did it anyway. I don't think "Forgive me Father, I am about to sin." works very well.

No not really :laughing:
He'd whip himself before he ordained Bishops and Priests, so in other words he knew he was appointing modernists. This guy is as much a saint as dog doo.
I really don't believe this story. It just doesn't sound like something he would do.
(11-23-2009, 10:04 PM)CatholicThurifer Wrote: [ -> ]I really don't believe this story. It just doesn't sound like something he would do.

Actually it does...this is something a lot of the Opus Dei people do.

(11-23-2009, 11:50 PM)Petertherock Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-23-2009, 10:04 PM)CatholicThurifer Wrote: [ -> ]I really don't believe this story. It just doesn't sound like something he would do.

Actually it does...this is something a lot of the Opus Dei people do.

Yeah and he was a big supporter of those freaks. He even got rid of the devils advocate so that he could canonize their founder faster.
That's kinda what I read into it too (maybe the fellow who made the comment wanted it to be open to that interpretation?), but to be fair, you could also say that he was trying to mortify any human prejudices etc before making decisions - trying to subdue his own will to follow God's. Just to be fair.

I'm no pope-basher or idolater so I think my opinion might be reasonable that he had some pretty funny notions about doing/ tolerating "lesser evils" for the "greater good" or whatever. The cover ups or toleration of abuse by clergy - be it sexual or liturgical! - certainly points to this. He often seemed to trust more in his own personal sort of mystically/ philosophically conceived "big picture" than in the wisdom of the traditional Church or sometimes even just plain old common sense.  It certainly doesn't surprise me that he practised bodily mortification, because I think his struggle with his own personality vs the role of Pope was pretty hard-core, and one of the characteristics of his papacy. He practically said so openly many times. The old cliche of a saintly man but a dodgy pope...
(11-24-2009, 02:09 AM)Benno Wrote: [ -> ]That's kinda what I read into it too (maybe the fellow who made the comment wanted it to be open to that interpretation?), but to be fair, you could also say that he was trying to mortify any human prejudices etc before making decisions - trying to subdue his own will to follow God's. Just to be fair.

I'm no pope-basher or idolater so I think my opinion might be reasonable that he had some pretty funny notions about doing/ tolerating "lesser evils" for the "greater good" or whatever. The cover ups or toleration of abuse by clergy - be it sexual or liturgical! - certainly points to this. He often seemed to trust more in his own personal sort of mystically/ philosophically conceived "big picture" than in the wisdom of the traditional Church or sometimes even just plain old common sense.  It certainly doesn't surprise me that he practised bodily mortification, because I think his struggle with his own personality vs the role of Pope was pretty hard-core, and one of the characteristics of his papacy. He practically said so openly many times. The old cliche of a saintly man but a dodgy pope...

That could be the case.