FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Proposed Anglican ordination in a Catholic Church
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Vatican vetos Deacons in St Kilian’s

CLARE QUIRK
The Australian Advertiser
24 Nov, 2009
http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/news...85474.aspx

THE Vatican has said no to the proposed ordination of four women and three men as Anglican Deacons at St Kilian’s Catholic Church.

Catholic Diocese of Sandhurst Bishop Joseph Grech said there would have been wider ramifications if the ordination had gone ahead.

”After much discussion with Archbishop Giuseppe Lazzarotto and the Vatican, the ramifications were investigated,” he said.

(Archbishop Lazzarotto was appointed the apostolic nuncio to Australia in January last year).

“The Catholic Church’s doctrine on the ordination of deacons and priests is very well known,” Bishop Grech said.

“There were certain issues within the doctrine that created problems. It’s the best thing for both churches.”

Bishop Grech said the church made sure it did all its homework before agreeing to allow the ordination to go ahead in Bendigo’s oldest catholic church and that he continued to have a great rapport with Anglican Diocese of Bendigo’s Bishop Andrew Curnow.

“This relationship is maintained on honesty and we’ll continue to work together in the future,” he said.

The ceremony was believed to have been the first time women would have been ordained as deacons in a Catholic church in Australia.

St Paul’s Cathedral closed earlier this year due to safety concerns and left the Anglican Church without a suitable venue to hold ordinations.

Bishop Curnow said he was not aware of the exact reason for the decision but he understood there was an issue of four women being ordained in the church.

“I received a phone call about a week ago that a problem had arisen,” he said.

“It’s my understanding that the issue was with the Catholic hierarchy and not in Bendigo.

“We don’t have control over the Catholic policy and we’re at their behest.”

Bishop Curnow said he’d graciously accepted an offer for the ordination of three men and four women to be held at St Andrew’s Uniting Church on Sunday.

At least this isn't going ahead it seems. Though it's very problematic it was even considered in the first place.
In our NO cathedral our RC bishop and the local Anglican Archbishop are on very good terms. Last year we concelebrated with the local Anglican clergy and congregation ASH Wednesday. I felt some discomfort to say the least and so did many others. AS we went upto have the Sign of the Cross on our foreheads a lot of members from both congregations crossed the middle aisle to have the blessing from their our local bishop. Many more however accepted the situation and were blessed by whoever was on their side of the church.
(11-24-2009, 05:42 PM)Hohepa Wrote: [ -> ]In our NO cathedral our RC bishop and the local Anglican Archbishop are on very good terms. Last year we concelebrated with the local Anglican clergy and congregation ASH Wednesday. I felt some discomfort to say the least and so did many others. AS we went upto have the Sign of the Cross on our foreheads a lot of members from both congregations crossed the middle aisle to have the blessing from their our local bishop. Many more however accepted the situation and were blessed by whoever was on their side of the church.

This is a very odd situation indeed. I would even go as far as saying that this may warrant some investigation. I do not think this is proper no matter how good we might get a long, they continue to be Christians without a valid Priesthood and hence not part of the Church.
(11-24-2009, 06:21 PM)Unum Sint Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-24-2009, 05:42 PM)Hohepa Wrote: [ -> ]In our NO cathedral our RC bishop and the local Anglican Archbishop are on very good terms. Last year we concelebrated with the local Anglican clergy and congregation ASH Wednesday. I felt some discomfort to say the least and so did many others. AS we went upto have the Sign of the Cross on our foreheads a lot of members from both congregations crossed the middle aisle to have the blessing from their our local bishop. Many more however accepted the situation and were blessed by whoever was on their side of the church.

This is a very odd situation indeed. I would even go as far as saying that this may warrant some investigation. I do not think this is proper no matter how good we might get a long, they continue to be Christians without a valid Priesthood and hence not part of the Church.

Agreed. This is syncretist heresy, which goes against Apostolicae Curae. For Anglicans to participate in the Mass as "concelebrants" is to have laymen dressed as priests, pretending to offer the Holy Sacrifice, which is a grave sin and a canonical impediment to Holy Orders.

If it's indeed true they appeared to be concelebrating, then inform Rome about it. It would be easier because it's not just a parish church we're talking about, but the Cathedral itself. Unless the scandal has been dealt with already.

(11-24-2009, 06:21 PM)Unum Sint Wrote: [ -> ]

Yet remember, even if a denomination does have a valid priesthood, this is not sufficient for being part of the Catholic Church. Consider the orthodox schismatics for example ; they have valid priesthood, but are not Catholics.