FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: It is not licit to deny Holy Communion on the tongue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
In my parish, we no longer partake of the Precious Blood and at daily Mass we were asked not to shake hands at the sign of peace, etc.  That is all fine and those things are optional anyway.  We were doing the stand and greet before Mass and then having to shake hands again at the sign of peace and the demise of this is not a bad thing.  There are the instant hand purifiers available for the priest and EMHCs.  One parish now has even taken the holy water out of the font.  And I cannot help but think of Lourdes and all the folks (including me) who have been in the waters and with all kinds of interesting ailments and to my knowledge there is no documentation of spread of disease. Hmmm. And in past years when I was a 'Eucharistic Minister', I was the one who consumed the rest of the Precious Blood after every one else. I was never sick...
---

http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/

It is not licit to deny communion on the tongue due to H1N1
The Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments responded to a lay Catholic in Britain, in a diocese in which communion on the tongue had been restricted due to concerns related to the Influenza A virus, subtype H1N1 ("Swine flu") epidemic.

It does not make any scientific sense, either, as it is better when there is just one hand involved (that of the Priest). It would seem that it would be safer to have just one man distributing Holy Communion (the Priest), no "Extraordinary ministers" of any kind, and to have all faithful receive Communion in the traditional way.

also at http://the-hermeneutic-of-continuity.blogspot.com/

Rome, 24 July 2009

This Congregation for Divine Worship and Discipline of the Sacraments wishes to acknowldge receipt of your letter dated 22 June 2009 regarding the right of the faithful to receive Holy Communion on the tongue.

This Dicastery observes that its Instruction Redemptionis Sacramentum (25 March 2004) clearly stipulates that "each of the faithful always has the right to receive Holy Communion on the tongue" (n. 92, nor is it licit to deny Holy Communion to any of Christ’s faithful who are not impeded by law from receiving the Holy Eucharist (cf. n. 91).

The Congregation thanks you for bringing this important matter to its attention. Be assured that the appropriate contacts will be made.

May you persevere in faith and love for Our Lord and his Holy Church, and in continued devotion to the Most Blessed Sacrament.

With every good wish and kind regard, I am,

Sincerely Yours in Christ,

(Fr. Anthony Ward, S.M.)
Under-Secretary
Our Latin Mass priest correctly pointed out that if done properly, Communion on the tongue is more hygienic then Communion in the hand. Done properly, the priests hands never touches the tongue, however, when having Communion on the hand, the priests hands almost always touches the hand which is where most diseases come from.

(11-28-2009, 05:32 PM)Petertherock Wrote: [ -> ]Our Latin Mass priest correctly pointed out that if done properly, Communion on the tongue is more hygienic then Communion in the hand. Done properly, the priests hands never touches the tongue, however, when having Communion on the hand, the priests hands almost always touches the hand which is where most diseases come from.

Also, if there is a real risk (not some government hype), then the public would have bigger things on their minds, like, the door knobs to the church (everyone uses one) and going to stores.
The problem behind such restrictions is that in the US there are 10 times as many layers than it is necessary, and they are very eager to charge the Church spreading disease.

As for the communion on tongue it is safer than the communion on hand.  One can and usually does bend back his fingers, but people don't do that with tongue

(11-28-2009, 05:02 PM)Magdalene Wrote: [ -> ]In my parish, we no longer partake of the Precious Blood and at daily Mass we were asked not to shake hands at the sign of peace, etc.  That is all fine and those things are optional anyway.  We were doing the stand and greet before Mass and then having to shake hands again at the sign of peace and the demise of this is not a bad thing.  There are the instant hand purifiers available for the priest and EMHCs.  One parish now has even taken the holy water out of the font.  And I cannot help but think of Lourdes and all the folks (including me) who have been in the waters and with all kinds of interesting ailments and to my knowledge there is no documentation of spread of disease. Hmmm. And in past years when I was a 'Eucharistic Minister', I was the one who consumed the rest of the Precious Blood after every one else. I was never sick...
---

http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/

It is not licit to deny communion on the tongue due to H1N1
The Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments responded to a lay Catholic in Britain, in a diocese in which communion on the tongue had been restricted due to concerns related to the Influenza A virus, subtype H1N1 ("Swine flu") epidemic.

It does not make any scientific sense, either, as it is better when there is just one hand involved (that of the Priest). It would seem that it would be safer to have just one man distributing Holy Communion (the Priest), no "Extraordinary ministers" of any kind, and to have all faithful receive Communion in the traditional way.

also at http://the-hermeneutic-of-continuity.blogspot.com/

Rome, 24 July 2009

This Congregation for Divine Worship and Discipline of the Sacraments wishes to acknowldge receipt of your letter dated 22 June 2009 regarding the right of the faithful to receive Holy Communion on the tongue.

This Dicastery observes that its Instruction Redemptionis Sacramentum (25 March 2004) clearly stipulates that "each of the faithful always has the right to receive Holy Communion on the tongue" (n. 92, nor is it licit to deny Holy Communion to any of Christ’s faithful who are not impeded by law from receiving the Holy Eucharist (cf. n. 91).

The Congregation thanks you for bringing this important matter to its attention. Be assured that the appropriate contacts will be made.

May you persevere in faith and love for Our Lord and his Holy Church, and in continued devotion to the Most Blessed Sacrament.

With every good wish and kind regard, I am,

Sincerely Yours in Christ,

(Fr. Anthony Ward, S.M.)
Under-Secretary
(11-28-2009, 05:52 PM)Rosarium Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-28-2009, 05:32 PM)Petertherock Wrote: [ -> ]Our Latin Mass priest correctly pointed out that if done properly, Communion on the tongue is more hygienic then Communion in the hand. Done properly, the priests hands never touches the tongue, however, when having Communion on the hand, the priests hands almost always touches the hand which is where most diseases come from.

Also, if there is a real risk (not some government hype), then the public would have bigger things on their minds, like, the door knobs to the church (everyone uses one) and going to stores.

I can't help but wonder whether the liberals are capitalizing on this supposed "crisis" to encourage people all the more to receive Communion in the hand.

Petertherock, you're correct.  When the first scare started, a few months ago, the chancery in my diocese started encouraging Communion in the hand.  I simply announced that if you receive properly either way, there is little or no risk of transmitting or catching a disease.
You know what? Even if I did catch something from receiving Communion, I couldn't think of a better way to die. As long as I died with the sacraments and in the state of grace I have nothing to fear.

(11-28-2009, 07:13 PM)Padre_Ricardo Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-28-2009, 05:52 PM)Rosarium Wrote: [ -> ]

I can't help but wonder whether the liberals are capitalizing on this supposed "crisis" to encourage people all the more to receive Communion in the hand.

I think your suspicions are correct Padre.
yes, it certainly seems that way
Modified
LoveJLove, that is a highly commendale post. +1 Ave.
Pages: 1 2