FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Iota Unum?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have this book but I've only read a few pages of it.  I have read The Great Facade (quick read) and Open Letter to Confused Catholics (couldn't put it down) and I would like to read this one to 'really understand' the crisis in the Church today.  I've got limited time (children, job, and more children) and this one would take a long while.  Is it worth it?  Can you skip around?

Bruce
A very good book. Its scale is very deep. As can be seen from the size of it. Is it worth it?
Oh yeah.
Can u skip around it to read what u want sure u can. Its footnotesd alone are make it worth it. It really shows the true stench of vpooo.
Read it
Sip
I am also reading it now.  Maybe about 50 pages into it.  I think it's great.  Of course the author would take issue with my choice of adjective as overly effusive and without due measure and proportion.  Ha!  Seriously, keep reading.  It looks like it would be fine to skip around too.  I read the chapter on abortion a while ago by itself, and it's probably the best thing I've ever read on the issue.  Hey, maybe we could start a book club thread on this book!
I was thinking of skipping over to the death penalty and divorce sections.  My wife has been notified that she may be selected for a grand jury in Jan and my sister-in-law who is Catholic has been 'divorced' for about 2 years and we are all struggling with that.  She has a 'friend' and says he's just a friend but now she wants to bring to meet the family. Aaahhh!  My wife and I are at odds about it.  Big time!  Anyway, I was getting a little bogged down and thought I might skip over to those sections.  I've got no discipline.  uh.

Bruce
I've read it all (before I had children!  :laughing: ) It's good. I can't say I understood all of it, mind. I still don't know what "theodicy" is! (One for the "Alternate Definition" thread, I think.  :) )
Iota Unum is THE catholic book to take into a lonely island!

It's a Catholic Encyclopedia, a brief summary of Church History (or better: of Philosophy of the Church History),  the most comprehensive explanation of the changes in the Church after V2,  a fine literary reading with an interesting cultural theory to understand our complex modern world, and -in the last and most beautiful pages- a Song of Hope as well as the best theological reflection of Human History since Donoso Cortés.

Maybe the English edition lacks the literary heights that the original in Italian achieves (and even the Spanish translation is very good!)

I read it a couple of years ago, in almost two weeks! I was younger and more enthusiastic.  :-[

But it's worth! Totally!

I use to say that Mr. Amerio taught me to think!

I agree with the posters above. It is an excellent and encyclopedic look into the teachings of the Church and how everything has changed since the Council. I suggest just reading it a little at a time whenever you get a free moment.

I also recommend that you get a hold of Michael Davies's books on the liturgical revolution: Cranmer's Godly Order, Pope John's Council, and the third volume on Pope Paul VI and the New Mass. These are thick, but excellently written books on the current crisis in the Church.
I think a little at a time is the way I will have to do it.  Two weeks!  Wow!  That would not be impossible for me.  I hope I don't forget too much between readings.  It sounds like it would be worth the time.  Being a convert and only recently giving my faith much attention, I really would like to 'think Catholic'.  I've read several posts to that effect by others.  I wish I could have grown up in the Church and been steeped in it.  Alas, that was not the path for me.  This may be the way.

brotherjuniper -- thanks for the other recommendations.

A lonely island ... sounds dreamy.

Bruce
This is a book of near genius. Maybe even genius. Very sharp, clear Thomistic thinking, a very human sensibility, wisdom, depth. I had the impression of a man who had lived very deeply and morally. Possessing a huge breadth of culture. What Americans would call a true Renaissance man ...

It's a goldmine, which I will be extracting gold from for years. So much there. Not only a very sharp deconstruction of the Council and the so-called Spirit of the Council, but a deconstruction of Modernity itself.

The book is subtitled A Study of changes in the Catholic Church in the XXth century, but one will gain insight into far more: The French Revolution, the Protestant Revolution, more. The response of the Church to Modernity, eg the 1864 Syllabus of Errors.

Still more, more more. No book is perfect. Amerio is not speaking infallibly from the throne, of course. And I am not without reservations. But this is brilliant and truly profound.

I think one might be able to temporarily skip over certain later chapters, but definitely the author is building a scaffolding here and the early chapters at very least I think should be read in order.

Another important factor for me is that the book is not corroded with the kind of acid anger and bitterness one finds in certain traditionalist writings. The author is not ranting, but weeping. Weeping for the tragedy.

I think weeping tears to be the more truly Christian response than biting acid ...

In addressing this crisis, less bitterness, more charity is needed. We need to remember more I think: "Father, forgive them for they know not what they do" ...
I think the most interesting aspect of the book is the ability of the author to identify and give names to all of the forces that have caused such problems in the Church.  "Mobilism" is the one that first jumped out at me that I had been unable to put my finger on for years.  I'm going to have to dig it out and go through it again. (it's a difficult book at least in English with the vocabulary) 
Pages: 1 2